New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 121,016 times)

Sol

I have no issue with a Samurai inspired duel with a Pred, conceptually. It's execution left more to be desired, however.

One of my favorite instances of a director showcasing the Predator's actual physical abilities and prowless was surprisingly from Paul Anderson's AVP.

I literally yelled in my theater chair in shock and excitement when I saw Scar do this.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 07, 2020, 02:50:25 PM
Not really. Even if it was an obvious homage, they still did a good job putting it together. No different to how Predator 2 aped the same scene so effectively with King Willie, or Aliens with the slaughterhouse massacre.

Come on now, the Aliens / OWLF monitor sequence I'll 100% give you, but nobody accuses the King Willie scene for aping the Billy scene. Billy and Hanzo, both turning to confront the Predator while the others flee and taking off their shirts, throws the shirt down, unsheathes his blade, all to the very same beats of Silvestri music?  If you credit the build up to the Hanzo Falconer fight alone, you HAVE to credit Predator 1987 because it's so darn similar as a nod, copy homage, rip-off, however one chooses to perceive it.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 07, 2020, 10:43:00 AM
I'm saying that the Comanche as a particular tribe and culture didn't exist until the horses drove that culture, so the whole pre-Colonial aspect might just be in reference to that particular tribe. We didn't use the term pre-Colonial when we reported this (and we were the ones to report it) only that it was taking place before terrorities were taken over.

The Comanche angle came from the Skulls report. So if it's before the Comanche terrorities were taken over, it could extend into the 19th century and if it is the Comanche it will feature horseback because that was one of the defining elements that made them Comanche.

Of course, it could all end up being some Hollywood blend of different tribes.

Oh, you mean in the cultural form that we know of the Comanche? Ok yeah I see what you mean. Yeah, both reports do seem a bit conflicting seeing to how if they wish to display the Comanches as we culturally know them for, then the film would have to take place during colonial times when the introduction of horses made them an absolute warrior powerhouse society. Yeah, pre-colonial times, they weren't as powerful or hostile as they were later famously were known to be in history.

Honestly, it would make more sense if it took place in colonial times like late 18th or mid 19th century, seeing thats when they were a warrior society at their peak. Perfect for a Predator seeking out dangerous prey to hunt and fight. I can imagine a reimagining of the scene in Predator where the Predator witnesses a Comanche raid or defending territory against another U.S forces, as it walks down to observe the aftermath and determines that these warriors are worthy foes to make trophies out of just like Jungle Hunter determined for Dutch and his team.  Plus, war horses, metal forged weapons, flintlocks, and repeating rifles would make things more fair for the human side, seeing that the Predator literally has all the advantages. 

Quote from: Sol on Dec 07, 2020, 03:09:22 PM
I have no issue with a Samurai inspired duel with a Pred, conceptually. It's execution left more to be desired, however.

One of my favorite instances of a director showcasing the Predator's actual physical abilities and prowless was surprisingly from Paul Anderson's AVP.

I literally yelled in my theater chair in shock and excitement when I saw Scar do this.

https://i.imgur.com/BxiTwO9.gif

How could I forget this? Great CGI that displays physical prowess and in the next scene, good practical effects and acting. I want to see more of this in future films with Predator.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 07, 2020, 02:50:25 PM
Not really. Even if it was an obvious homage, they still did a good job putting it together. No different to how Predator 2 aped the same scene so effectively with King Willie, or Aliens with the slaughterhouse massacre.

But in P2 they got it right by not showing the confrontation, unlike that stupid hanzo fight in predators.

xenomorphfan092

I don't want to see a movie from the studio , I want to see a movie from the director that has a brilliant idea of the franchise as long the script is superior.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 07, 2020, 05:26:06 PMBut in P2 they got it right by not showing the confrontation, unlike that stupid hanzo fight in predators.

Like I said, the build-up was excellent.

The actual fight was a huge letdown.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I agree with this, but it's CGI and I fear we wouldn't get near a convincing result like that with a guy in a suit. What I mean is that it will require TREMENDOUSLY good camera work and editing + TOP NOTCH work from the suit guy, which is unlikely imo.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 07, 2020, 05:27:28 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 07, 2020, 05:26:06 PMBut in P2 they got it right by not showing the confrontation, unlike that stupid hanzo fight in predators.

Like I said, the build-up was excellent.

The actual fight was a huge letdown.

I disagree, Hanzo has not enough background, no real reason to sacrifice himself. Billy has. He faces his fear, the movie introduce us early with his ability to "sense" the predator around. When he has enough with running, he faces his destiny, full circle. The build up is here, it has a point.

With Hanzo it doesn't. So it's not a real build up. Why would he want to risk his life for strangers ? Did we get introduced with something mystical between him and the preds ? Nope. This scene is here just for the geek fantasy of seeing a yakuza sword fight a pred.

Sol

It can be done, and we should demand more/a higher standard than what we have been getting for these films. More has been done on smaller budgets with other projects.

I refuse to continue to watch them destroy this franchise with mediocrity.

Kradan

Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes

KiramidHead

I liked the Hanzo fight.

Kradan

Mr.Turok

Even though Predators had a mixed review, many agreed that the Hanzo vs Falconer was one of the highlights of the film that everyone loved a whole lot. I thought it was great.

Speaking of great fights, I was rewatching some Blade 2 clips and saw the final fight between Blade and Nomak. This is what I want to see in future Predator fights in films. Scenes that display the ability of the character as it should. This scene in Blade 2 tells us all, the martial arts that clearly displays the skill level of both characters as each is getting their fair share of blows with Blade clearly being slightly outmatched, the blend of both CGI and actor chorography telling the story of two supernatural beings with incredible strength, speed, and agility that far surpasses a human being, with each shot seamlessly blending in with each other as the fight flows on hard.

Oh I wished the Berserker and Crucified Predator fight was something like this in its own Predator way.

SiL

I always thought Predators being pretty perfunctory brawlers was more in keeping with the character than any sort of flowy martial art. Who the hell tries to use martial arts when hunting lions, tigers, bears, oh my?

I'm sure there would be Predators who have some sort of impressive martial arts the same way humans do, but it doesn't really feel consistent with the tribal warrior characterisation.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 08, 2020, 06:22:49 AM
Even though Predators had a mixed review, many agreed that the Hanzo vs Falconer was one of the highlights of the film that everyone loved a whole lot. I thought it was great.

Speaking of great fights, I was rewatching some Blade 2 clips and saw the final fight between Blade and Nomak. This is what I want to see in future Predator fights in films. Scenes that display the ability of the character as it should. This scene in Blade 2 tells us all, the martial arts that clearly displays the skill level of both characters as each is getting their fair share of blows with Blade clearly being slightly outmatched, the blend of both CGI and actor chorography telling the story of two supernatural beings with incredible strength, speed, and agility that far surpasses a human being, with each shot seamlessly blending in with each other as the fight flows on hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkehb4FAaeY

Oh I wished the Berserker and Crucified Predator fight was something like this in its own Predator way.

I love that fight. Soooo much better than the hanzo one  :P

germanator2

Maybe against "Bad Blood" Predators, regular Predators would have some kind of close quarters combat training, but it's seems really unnecessary against humans. You basically see how agile the Predator is in the first film when he's swinging to trees. You also get a sense of his speed after he blows Dillon's arm off and you see him sprinting thru the jungle towards him. They've never been not agile or fast in the films. Any kind of flashing martial arts would be really cheesy and kill the suspense about it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed