The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,972 times)

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 14, 2013, 08:25:27 PM
Quote from: Ruadh on Mar 14, 2013, 03:43:49 PM
I haven't checked up on it lately, but is the plan still to split the third book between seasons 3 and 4?
Not sure if it has been confirmed, but I don't think they can fit the whole thing in one season.

Had to go looking myself, and seems like that is the case.

I get that there's a LOT of story, and I'm sure book fans will want to commit violent acts on me for saying so, BUT...it's going to be a tough road if this series is going on for 10 seasons. I get that if you're a fan, usually you want it to go on forever for some reason, but a lot of people enjoy resolution. I haven't read the books, but read the wiki articles on all of them, heh. So I know there's a ton more story, and it's almost too much. My wife saw the new trailer for the upcoming season, and of course saw the dragon flying, Daenerys on the ship, and standing with an army...so the natural conclusion to make is that things are really coming to a head as far as her reclaiming the throne.

Spoiler
BUt of course, as far as I know with the books that have been published, she's yet to really even leave that continent at all. So...that means we've got at least another four seasons or so before anything really happens? I get that things do happen, but there's certain things that were set up in the very first episode that aren't going to be paid off even by season 7. And I can't help but recall Martin's words that this series will not be another Lost. And Lost was a show that wrapped up the story (not to everyone's liking, but still) in 6 seasons.

So it's just one of those things...I imagine a lot of people will start abandoning the series around season 4 or so. It's a bit of a shame that I know how little will get resolved down the line, but I guess it's good since I'm not getting my hopes up for this next season.

Again, I really enjoy the show, but am not looking forward to the long waits HBO requires between seasons, and the lack of the story really making a lot of progress for several more years.
[close]

zasz

zasz

What are the promo pictures of Jon and Dany suggesting?  :laugh:

Ruadh

Ruadh

That they didn't watch Star Wars and raise any eyebrows...

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: zasz on Mar 14, 2013, 09:02:25 PM
What are the promo pictures of Jon and Dany suggesting?  :laugh:

HaHa, well:

Spoiler
If we're to presume that Rheagar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark are Jon's biological parents, then, what the pictures are suggesting is that we haven't seen the last of incest in A Song of Ice and Fire! ;) HaHa
[close]

Ruadh

Ruadh

Basically what I was implying, though I suspect I was way too subtle.

Eva

Eva

@Ruadh Yep, the fear I have as well down the line, is that ratings will eventually drop, the series can't wrap up its storyline in time because the last book might still be a decade away, if the book release pattern so far is anything to go by. HBO just might not be able to fund the last segments when the time comes, because general interest will have shifted towards other future series. :-\

Love that trailer :D

Shasvre

Shasvre

Rocking the GoT signature, I see. 8)

I think this show could keep people hooked for a long time. There's lot of interesting stuff going on and there are story arcs (or should I say characters) coming to an end, while there's still some building up for a big finale. Best of both worlds if you ask me. Other shows, like Dexter, are still going strong in Season 8, so I don't see Game of Thrones having any problems for quite some time, unless the quality drops by a mile.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I actually found it strange that as Dexter's quality decreased, its ratings increased. May have to do with the marketing. Either way, I can only see GoT's numbers growing, but the novel release schedule is concerning.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Didn't Season 7 have the highest ratings for Dexter? That was a huge step up from the previous season at least.

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: Eva on Mar 15, 2013, 12:29:42 AM
@Ruadh Yep, the fear I have as well down the line, is that ratings will eventually drop, the series can't wrap up its storyline in time because the last book might still be a decade away, if the book release pattern so far is anything to go by. HBO just might not be able to fund the last segments when the time comes, because general interest will have shifted towards other future series. :-\

Love that trailer :D

Well, I already feel that, if the show goes all the way to the end of the story, it will actually conclude before the final book is published. Which I also, sorry to say, suspect will be written by someone else as Martin won't be around anymore.

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 15, 2013, 12:34:11 AM
I think this show could keep people hooked for a long time. There's lot of interesting stuff going on and there are story arcs (or should I say characters) coming to an end, while there's still some building up for a big finale. Best of both worlds if you ask me. Other shows, like Dexter, are still going strong in Season 8, so I don't see Game of Thrones having any problems for quite some time, unless the quality drops by a mile.

I don't expect quality to dip at all, in fact it probably will improve even. And I'm sure some people will stay hooked, just not sure if it will be enough. I know that having a show where any character could be killed at any time definitely has a draw to it, but at the same time...eventually you're left with a bunch of characters who weren't there when you initially got hooked.

Dexter is a difficult show to compare, since yeah...they've introduced a new character here and there, and there were a couple people in the first season that no longer appear, but it's ultimately about one character and his journey.

THe people I've talked to, and there's easily a dozen, in my family and inlaws who watch this show and never read the books...are very wrapped up in Daenerys coming over and fighting for the throne, Jon Snow finding out about his parentage, and the white walkers...basically jsut ANYTHING about them and their intent, and the rest of the world finding out about them etc etc.

What I know about the books...none of those things will be really addressed any time soon. I know the series is taking some liberties, and I hope it actually increases in time because it'd be nice to get one of those things solved every other season or so.

Again, Lost is a better comparison as it just heaped mystery on top of mystery, barely ever answering any questions along the way, and even the most die-hard fans were really annoyed. They kept watching, sure, so...I guess if the numbers are all that matter.... but the producers of this show seem to have a sincere interest and drive in making a solid series.

The other thing this show lacks is any REAL sense of the past. I think that some flashbacks, or even a spinoff that takes place 20 years ago would actually really benefit the show, especially if it aired 6 months after the regular season. That would also inform the audience on Snow's heritage, as well as build the world even further, and give to some exciting battles/despicable nutjobs, etc.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Mar 15, 2013, 12:42:31 AM
I actually found it strange that as Dexter's quality decreased, its ratings increased. May have to do with the marketing.

That may be because the things you enjoyed about the show dissipated, while the things they focused more on is what the general audience is into.

To elaborate a bit more...Game of Thrones is the type of show that is driving towards a conclusion. Shows like Dexter, or even Walking Dead, are basically serials....each season has a definite focus, but also its own little story. I get that Game of Thrones also does, but there's an overall plot and narrative they are driving towards. So, each season ends up basically being a step towards that conclusion, rather than a satisfying little story of its own.

And I am definitely the type of person that can handle only so many of those before I lose interest. I suspect a lot of people are, but obviously I can only speak for my own point of view.

Eva

Eva

I have little doubt about the quality of the series and the avid fans such as myself. It's the more 'casual fans or viewers' (and any series have a majority of those) I'm worried about, if the tv-show will expand the books to some 10 seasons over +10 years, give or take. That is a lot for a series that is marching towards an end goal from the very start.

As for the Dexter comparison, GOTs stellar production values also shows in its budget - it's somewhere along $7-8m per episode. I doubt Dexter is anywhere near that figure, even considering Michael C. Hall being one of the best paid actors in tv today. HBO can only justify these costs as long as there are enough paying customers watching the show and/or buying the seasons.

I sure hope you guys are right. :)

Ruadh

Ruadh

Speaking of Dexter, they film a lot of the exteriors (aside, obviously, from the Miami b-roll shots) in my area. You could always tell when they were shooting Dexter, because the downtown/marina area would be partly closed.

ace3g

Eva

Eva

:D

This is why everybody would love to have Peter Falk as their granddad.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Yesterday, I told First Blood about all the f**ked up things that goes down in the third book. I'm surprised his mind could handle all of that stuff at once. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed