6 Year old had his first viewing of Aliens

Started by razeak, Jan 22, 2024, 01:54:06 AM

Author
6 Year old had his first viewing of Aliens (Read 1,688 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Editing might be the only one I give (besides compositing), particularly for the Alien being revealed too soon, but not beyond that.

xShadowFoxX

Pfff I watched Predator, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 between 5 & 6. Alien was the only one that scared the sh*t outta me.

In retrospect, I loved Predator around that age, and it never scared me. Six years later tho, it made me jump a couple of times. Twas weird.

Kimarhi

None of them ever scared me.  Far to tough and manly to ever be afraid of film...(even though I might not have been able to feed my dog after watching John Carpenters the thing as a kid).

Resurrection was the only 90's movie I saw in theaters.  Saw Prometheus, which at the time I didn't hate as much, probably because I was deploying soon, saw it three times actually, once in theater, once at a hotel, and once on the flight over to my deployment..............but didn't start hating it until I was back.  Saw Covenant in theaters but it was ruined by its tie in with Prometheus.  There was an older black couple sitting in front of me, and their commentary on the movie essentially summed up how I was feeling inside. 

I saw Aliens the first out of all the movies, then Alien 3, and then Alien.  For some reason the VHS (yes I'm that old) of Alien was hard to get for a little while.  Couldn't find it to rent, and nobody had it for sale. 

For about fifteen years, the Alien series was my favorite series of all time.  Over saturation, then crappy product killed my overall love for it.  Sometimes a game  or book or film will manage to capture a flicker of that same magic and I'll get a huge nostalgia dump and briefly feel the love I had for the series surface back...........and then it will fade back into oblivion.

Aliens Defiance (started out so f**king excellent), Charybdis, Isolation (world building and presentation), moments in FTE (this captured the old game EU fairly well), Dark Descent (this actually is the only title out of all of Alien lore that captures the tension of the second movie), some of Covenant. 

I know I hate on Prometheus alot, but one of the younger guys I deployed with ONLY likes Prometheus as it was his entry point into the series.  I showed him Alien and Aliens while we were over there, and he was just like, "they are alright I guess but what about (a bunch of prometheus bullshit)?"

I'm glad some of the younger generation enjoys the series.  Hope they can find as much enjoyment as I did out of them for the run I had with the series.  Which was a good run, all things considered.  I hope something comes along in the series that restores that love I once had for it.............but I have my doubts.  Now I just am in just in the Church of the Anti-Ridleys.  Ridley Scott, Ridley from Metroid..........f**k those guys. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

My first experience with the franchise was Aliens: Ride at the Speed of the Fright the day before my 5th birthday. We get out the admittedly very cheesy ride (I still f**king love it to this day) and Dad tells  me he's got the movie this is based on at home. We start to watch it when I get home - also flicking between the SkyOne premiere of Star Trek Voyager - and I shit my pants around the hive scene, after Barbara Coles pops and it's turned off.

I have nightmares for the next 5 years of my life. But I am obsessed. Absolutely obsessed with this creature that I can't even bare to look at pictures of. I'm terrified of the cover of Alien Trilogy on the Sega Saturn. I watch it be played from behind the side of the sofa. But I'm still morbidly obsessed with this thing that traumatized me. It wasn't until I was forced to watch it in its entirety when I was 10 that I spoke to being traumatized and instead just fascinated.

xShadowFoxX

Great time to be a five year old!

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I was 9 when I was introduced to the Alien Trilogy, in '93. I used to hang out at my friends house, where we'd usually watch Star Trek (TOS/TNG/ and the 'new' DS9) and The X-files, (and I'd attempt to get him into reruns of the 1988 tv series 'War of the Worlds' but never succeeded in getting him invested) or we'd play multiplayer on the Amiga 1200 on Mortal Kombat 2, Extreme Violence etc.

One day, after finishing our usual sketching designs of our own federation starships, and sitting to smash out a game of Pogz, there was a film running in the background. (It was the atmosphere professor hive scene from 'Aliens' with the marines investigating the PDTs)..I wasn't paying it much attention, until the first xeno emerged from the walls, where my interest peaked; the shape, the tail design; I'd seen it somewhere before; and then it hit me; these were the 'Aliens' toys I'd seen in the toy section whilst flicking through the back of catalogues (like Argos, Index etc; remember when back of catalogues were top-tier Xmas list reference material? 😂). Id always seen the toys and pictured some kids show in the animation style of Captain Planet (the irony being that it was meant to be), and saw an 'Alien Queen' and pictured some large talking creature like Zordrak from 'The Dreamstone' on a giant metal throne; but this was very different... but I was captivated by it. Thinking to the catalogue pictured I had a gazillion questions like "so is there a yellow power loader thing?" My friend was like "I have all three taped from tv if you wanna loan them; you'll love number 3 it comes out of a dog". So I loaned them. And that was the start of a magical obsession that, alongside 'The Evil Dead' trilogy would take over my life. 🤣

EDIT; now that I think of it, prior to getting into the Alien movies, it was a similar story in 1991 when I got into  the Terminator franchise; I first saw all the Kenner Terminator 2 toy ads in Thunderbirds magazines, which lead to an interest when T2 was on TV; companies were definitely on-point with marketing when licensing kids toys for adult movies 🤣

razeak

razeak

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 23, 2024, 09:20:44 AMMy first experience with the franchise was Aliens: Ride at the Speed of the Fright the day before my 5th birthday. We get out the admittedly very cheesy ride (I still f**king love it to this day) and Dad tells  me he's got the movie this is based on at home. We start to watch it when I get home - also flicking between the SkyOne premiere of Star Trek Voyager - and I shit my pants around the hive scene, after Barbara Coles pops and it's turned off.

I have nightmares for the next 5 years of my life. But I am obsessed. Absolutely obsessed with this creature that I can't even bare to look at pictures of. I'm terrified of the cover of Alien Trilogy on the Sega Saturn. I watch it be played from behind the side of the sofa. But I'm still morbidly obsessed with this thing that traumatized me. It wasn't until I was forced to watch it in its entirety when I was 10 that I spoke to being traumatized and instead just fascinated.

I had the same experience. Watched bits and pieces on HBO while hiding behind the recliner.. I couldn't even get through the trailer of Alien 3, but I was obsessed. I had nightmares until I was 12 or 13 lol.

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 23, 2024, 11:39:43 AMMy friend was like "I have all three taped from tv if you wanna loan them; you'll love number 3 it comes out of a dog".
Sorry to rain on your parade, pal, but he wasn't your friend. lol.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: razeak on Jan 23, 2024, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 23, 2024, 09:20:44 AMMy first experience with the franchise was Aliens: Ride at the Speed of the Fright the day before my 5th birthday. We get out the admittedly very cheesy ride (I still f**king love it to this day) and Dad tells  me he's got the movie this is based on at home. We start to watch it when I get home - also flicking between the SkyOne premiere of Star Trek Voyager - and I shit my pants around the hive scene, after Barbara Coles pops and it's turned off.

I had the same experience. Watched bits and pieces on HBO while hiding behind the recliner.. I couldn't even get through the trailer of Alien 3, but I was obsessed. I had nightmares until I was 12 or 13 lol.

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 23, 2024, 11:39:43 AMMy friend was like "I have all three taped from tv if you wanna loan them; you'll love number 3 it comes out of a dog".
Sorry to rain on your parade, pal, but he wasn't your friend. lol.

Considering I'm a huge fan of the 3rd movie and rank it above Aliens, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one  😉

razeak

Is it possible to be a huge fan of Alien 3 and hate it at the same time? lol. I feel like that's me.

Besides the aforementioned negatives, I love the atmosphere of the 3.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 10, 2018, 12:10:30 AMAt least Alien 3 left all the worldbuilding intact...then Alien Resurrection flushed it all down the toilet.

Rankles75

Quote from: Local Trouble  on Jan 23, 2024, 06:53:32 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 10, 2018, 12:10:30 AMAt least Alien 3 left all the worldbuilding intact...then Alien Resurrection flushed it all down the toilet.

It "killed" everyone off (except the most annoying twat in the film), I don't see that as keeping the world building intact...  :P

SiL

Characters aren't the world.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jan 23, 2024, 08:48:05 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble  on Jan 23, 2024, 06:53:32 PM

It "killed" everyone off (except the most annoying twat in the film), I don't see that as keeping the world building intact...  :P

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 10, 2018, 05:02:37 AMAlien 3 only flushed the characters down the toilet.  The universe survived.

razeak

Quote from: SiL on Jan 23, 2024, 08:49:54 PMCharacters aren't the world.
No. They're the soul.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Just like the original, said threads can be followed up, or not.

Everything introduced in the first three Alien films can still be used, just not the characters (which I am very grateful for) aside from Michael Bishop, new characters give the writer infinitely more freedom and the setting infinitely more believability when it is not the same people dunking on Aliens.

Dark Descent, Cold Forge, Into Charybdis and Phalanx all benefit from being divorced from Ripley or any prior characters weighing them down.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed