David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Oct 07, 2023, 12:59:15 PM

Author
David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine (Read 16,607 times)

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I may be biased due to my love of the movie, but I gotta be honest, what's being suggested is the equivalent of removing the face of the Monalisa with a pot of Games Workshop paint in order to better appreciate the background (in my view) 😅 - I definitely didn't go into Alien 3 expecting a Murder Mystery. I swear when you guys finish the fan edit I'm going to remove Ripley and edit in Hercule Poirot 😂

"There was one survivor, two dead and a droid that was hopelessly smashed beyond repair...the survivor...is a Belgian sleuth".

"No no, mon ami - whilst it is true zat only Mr. Gollic could 'ave been alone in ze infirmary long enough to have bitten through ze head of the good Mr Clemens, one of you, in this very room spat ze acid at Mr Murphy to commit the murdeurr most cruel.."

SiL

The fact you think Ripley's journey in the first half of the film is the background detail, again, highlights the issue.

She knows there's an Alien. We know there's an Alien. It's an Alien movie. It's about finding out where it is, how it got there, what state it's in.

Just like Aliens - we know the colonists found Aliens even without the deleted scene. But we don't know exactly what the marines will find until they get there.

Take out the Alien and you get that same sense of building dread you got the first two movies.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2023, 08:40:12 PMThe fact you think Ripley's journey in the first half of the film is the background detail, again, highlights the issue.

I feel the bigger issue is that there are those who feel Alien 3 needs to jump to the same beat as the first two movies... it doesn't 😅 "Alien and Aliens did it this way, so Alien 3 would be better if it did too". I don't feel it does. (But again, I acknowledge that I'm very biased on this front BECAUSE I'm one of the few who feel Alien 3 is perfect as is- for the record, I'd still be very interested in seeing your edit, to see how it plays out, despite my jesting) 😊

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 13, 2023, 08:55:33 PMI feel the bigger issue is that there are those who feel Alien 3 needs to jump to the same beat as the first two movies... it doesn't 😅 "Alien and Aliens did it this way, so Alien 3 would be better if it did too". I don't feel it does.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm using those films as examples of what I'm suggesting, not saying Alien 3 needs to do the same because of them.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2023, 09:01:28 PM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 13, 2023, 08:55:33 PMI feel the bigger issue is that there are those who feel Alien 3 needs to jump to the same beat as the first two movies... it doesn't 😅 "Alien and Aliens did it this way, so Alien 3 would be better if it did too". I don't feel it does.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm using those films as examples of what I'm suggesting, not saying Alien 3 needs to do the same because of them.

Either way, I'd definitely view it with an open mind :-) the hardest part will be viewing it *knowing* what was there prior to cuts- I felt the same when viewing the Assembly Cut the first few times; it's like listening to a fave song and there's a note missing; you can't focus on what is there for what feels "off" (best example would be the soundtrack during Ripley's sacrifice in the Assembly Cut - it feels butchered) 😅

SM

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2023, 11:57:49 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2023, 11:48:54 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 12, 2023, 07:44:37 PM
Quote from: SM on Oct 12, 2023, 06:23:17 PMI'm not sure how you could re-edit to convincingly tease the audience as to whether there's an Alien running around or not when the movie has Alien in the title.
It's not about teasing the possibility of there being/not being an Alien, it's following Ripley's perspective.

We all know there are going to be Aliens in Aliens, but the theatrical cut works perfectly fine  revealing the things to the audience and characters simultaneously.

Scrubbing the Alien before Ripley sees it puts us in her shoes and lets things like talking to Bishop hold actual weight rather than be "no shit, we knew that half an hour ago".

I get the general idea, I'm just struggling to wrap my bonce around how it would play out.

It'd certainly be a good deal shorter cutting the burster and the deaths of Murphy, Boggs and Rains.

As for it being a murder mystery- the first half kinda is. Except we already know whodunnit, so it's just murders I guess.
Happy to send it when I'm done.

Yes please

Highland

I mean I kind of get it if we remove absolutely everything and Ripley just wakes up on the beach, but I don't feel like the intrigue of finding out with Ripley builds any mystery unless it's a different outcome when we do get there, some kind of bait and switch (I'm not even sure what that would be tbh).

Having it just be "ah the Alien killing people again" just resets it back into territory we've already been in.

What did Fincher want to do with the script or has he never elaborated on that?

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2023, 10:50:56 PM
Quote from: SM on Oct 12, 2023, 06:23:17 PMI'm not sure how you could re-edit to convincingly tease the audience as to whether there's an Alien running around or not when the movie has Alien in the title.
It's not about teasing the possibility of there being/not being an Alien, it's following Ripley's perspective.

We all know there are going to be Aliens in Aliens, but the theatrical cut works perfectly fine  revealing the things to the audience and characters simultaneously.

Scrubbing the Alien before Ripley sees it puts us in her shoes and lets things like talking to Bishop hold actual weight rather than be "no shit, we knew that half an hour ago".

I get the general idea, I'm just struggling to wrap my bonce around how it would play out.

It'd certainly be a good deal shorter cutting the burster and the deaths of Murphy, Boggs and Rains.

As for it being a murder mystery- the first half kinda is. Except we already know whodunnit, so it's just murders I guess.

Yes please
Wait, SiL is reediting A3? Put me on that wishlist as well!

Eal

Quote from: Stitch on Oct 14, 2023, 01:10:38 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2023, 10:50:56 PM

Yes please
Wait, SiL is reediting A3? Put me on that wishlist as well!

It's more like what the review pointed out were the flaws of Alien 3 and how it could be done.

SM

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 13, 2023, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2023, 09:01:28 PM

Either way, I'd definitely view it with an open mind :-) the hardest part will be viewing it *knowing* what was there prior to cuts- I felt the same when viewing the Assembly Cut the first few times; it's like listening to a fave song and there's a note missing; you can't focus on what is there for what feels "off" (best example would be the soundtrack during Ripley's sacrifice in the Assembly Cut - it feels butchered) 😅

Because it is.  One of the best cues in any of the films and it's just - yeah, nah.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Stitch on Oct 14, 2023, 01:10:38 AMWait, SiL is reediting A3? Put me on that wishlist as well!

He should bring back the cast for reshoots.

Neila

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 13, 2023, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: Neila on Oct 13, 2023, 10:02:17 AMI already gave myself the explanation of how the egg got on the Sulaco:
The queen no longer had an egg sac, but it could also be that there was something like a residue of semen on her abdomen, which dripped under the floor bars during the fight with Ripley and developed into an egg there.

Like this?

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 03, 2023, 04:34:19 AMChatGPT has written it all out:

oh that's interesting, I didn't know that syberdime systems saw it exactly like that...but yes, exactly like that  :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

As an American, has David Fincher ever made any mention of the horrors of teatime on the set of Alien 3?

Neila

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 17, 2023, 02:03:16 PMAs an American, has David Fincher ever made any mention of the horrors of teatime on the set of Alien 3?

I think he processed this horror in seven ;D

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Neila on Oct 18, 2023, 09:06:37 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 17, 2023, 02:03:16 PMAs an American, has David Fincher ever made any mention of the horrors of teatime on the set of Alien 3?

I think he processed this horror in seven ;D

I can't help but picture 'Se7en' as a commentary on 'Alien 3' with Fincher being the young inexperienced cop full of hope, Ridley being the older experienced cop who knows the industry has gone to shit and can't be saved, and Fox being the seven deadly sins 🤣

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed