Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 465,205 times)

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quotehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirogen
Thank you for showing us yet another Predator rip off, it feels good that filmmakers getting inspired by this iconic design and behaviour, yet never even slightly reach its quality.  8)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 01, 2009, 09:02:44 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 01, 2009, 08:26:22 PM
About the size of the Alien: Bolaji Badejo (the actor who played the original Alien creature) is 7 ft 2 (218 cm), and add the extra height of the head (remember that the actor's head is located in the neck of the suit), which should at least add an extra foot - so yeah, the Alien (at least the one in the first movie) is at least 8 feet tall.
Kevin Peter Hall is 7 feet 2½" (220 cm)tall, add the Predator sandales and some extra height of the head on top and the Predator is close to 8 feet.

Also, Bolaji's head wasn't inside the neck, it was inside the head, it was only in Alien 3 when Tom Woodruff began to play the alien that the head was inside the neck.

...So they're basically of the same hight then.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xhan on Sep 01, 2009, 09:18:23 PM
Find me a Star Trek alien that bears even a remote resemblance to the Predator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirogen
[/quote]

Yup, I agree with that parallel. But that came long after the Predator. The post you quoted was in reference to SpaceMarine claiming the Predator was a cheap Star Trek-style alien.

predatorfandrc90

predatorfandrc90

What if the alien and predator are really from the star trek universe,the next sequel avp the final frontier.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 01, 2009, 07:57:33 PM
Quote from: Drago-Morph on Sep 01, 2009, 07:12:25 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 01, 2009, 05:37:53 PM
Quote from: TheMonolith on Sep 01, 2009, 05:25:57 PM
In Alien 3, Ripley described to the warden that the Alien is 8 feet tall.
I didn't see Ripley running around with a tape measure.

BTW, the guy who said that the alien is 8ft tall was the same guy that said that the Alien also weights a ton, a ton...

And this is coming from the guy who said that the Predator knocked Arnie over twenty feet across the jungle.

Twenty feet.
Coming from the guy who said he knocked Arnie 6 feet (1,80 metre).

See where Arnie is? See where the Predator is? You call that distance 6 feet?

Looks more like 4 metres, which is around 13 feet, like i said before.

But like you showed so many times before, that proves absolutely nothing right? The Alien weights a ton, is 8 feet tall and has god-like power.. have fun in your imaginary world.

The Alien is eight feet, and it had enough strength to easily leap through twenty tons of lead. Pretty God-like.

And, take the distance between the Predator and Arnie's feet, and you get around six feet, seven and a half at most. Take it from the camera, which is past Arnie completely, and you have around your estimate of thirteen feet. But, hey, the fact that my points have been proven before mean absolutely nothing, right? The Alien is seven feet tall, has strength comparable to a humans, and weighs two hundred pounds?

SM

SM

QuoteAlso, Bolaji's head wasn't inside the neck, it was inside the head, it was only in Alien 3 when Tom Woodruff began to play the alien that the head was inside the neck.

It was more neck than head on the first film.  From the eyebrows up Bolaji's head was inside in the Aliens head.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteThe Alien is eight feet
Yet, you have nothing to back it up.

Quoteand it had enough strength to easily leap through twenty tons of lead. Pretty God-like.
Which already contradicts with everything shown previously, if it really had that much strength then why didn't the alien in the A3  extended cut just break free through that steel door it was trapped in? Or just opened up that door against Hicks in Aliens? Or hell, just break through any wall in the colony? Or that steel door in Aliens, which it needed quite some time to break though?

QuoteAnd, take the distance between the Predator and Arnie's feet, and you get around six feet
But that's not the way you measure it, when they make broad jumps on the Olympics they are also measuring how far they managed to jump with whatever they land first, in this case, its Arnold's head.
Also, he flies in a hooked position, still a lot more than 6 feet.

QuoteBut, hey, the fact that my points have been proven
I don't know what you mean by "proven" all the time, you don't prove anything at all, or even try to.

QuoteThe Alien is seven feet tall, has strength comparable to a humans, and weighs two hundred pounds?
It's stronger than a human, it is around 7 feet tall and probably weights around 250 pounds.

A ton? No. Exoskeleton? No indication for that, still you're claiming it has one all the time, again, without delivering anything to back up your statement.

QuoteIt was more neck than head on the first film.  From the eyebrows up Bolaji's head was inside in the Aliens head.
It wasn't completely in the head, but also not completely in the neck like Woodruff.

MadassAlex

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 02, 2009, 01:34:34 AM
QuoteIt was more neck than head on the first film.  From the eyebrows up Bolaji's head was inside in the Aliens head.
It wasn't completely in the head, but also not completely in the neck like Woodruff.

Ey... Good morning y'all! *sipping on some cheap office Java*

(...Back to the topic...)
Which means that the Alien in Alien was 8 feet tall (...and thus Drago-Morph and the rest who say that the Alien is an 8 ft tall creature are right).

May I ask you why you fight the facts with such passion? The Alien is 8 ft tall - so what?

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteMay I ask you why you fight the facts with such passion? The Alien is 8 ft tall - so what?
I only fight the things that people think are facts when they aren't, just like he said that it's a fact that the alien has an exoskeleton, just like he said the Alien weights a ton etc etc.

A Fact becomes a fact when it's proven, i don't see any prove here do you?
All i see is a load of Fanboys stating "This is a fact and that is a fact" without backing anything up, not that i'm surprised about that.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Looks like an exoskeleton to me, man.

If the shoe fits, you know?

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: MadassAlex on Sep 02, 2009, 01:46:28 PM
Looks like an exoskeleton to me, man.

If the shoe fits, you know?
The inner surface of the facehugger looks like a vagina, is it a vagina? No.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Although that surface of the facehugger is largely given over to the purpose of reproduction.

So the shoe does kinda fit in that regard.

In any case, I'm sure the concept of the Alien had an exoskeleton as a design point. It's just, sometimes, difficult to represent exoskeletal limbs when bone and carapace surfaces are, themselves, quite smooth. And if Aliens were fleshy, they wouldn't be largely immune to less potent firearms like we see towards the end of ALIENS, or able to withstand 10 or so tonnes of molten lead.

Ergo the "come on, dude". You're essentially arguing against observable canon here.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 02, 2009, 01:34:57 PM
QuoteMay I ask you why you fight the facts with such passion? The Alien is 8 ft tall - so what?
I only fight the things that people think are facts when they aren't, just like he said that it's a fact that the alien has an exoskeleton, just like he said the Alien weights a ton etc etc.

A Fact becomes a fact when it's proven, i don't see any prove here do you?
All i see is a load of Fanboys stating "This is a fact and that is a fact" without backing anything up, not that i'm surprised about that.

I see where you're coming from. Yeah, i agree with you on that - basically, we know nothing about the Aliens. But when it comes to the size (height-wise) of Kane's Son we know that he's approximately 8 ft give or take, simply because Bolaji Badejo is 7 ft 2 and the Alien head most likely added an extra foot despite that Bolaji's own head was only partly located in the suit's neck/head. On top of that they also said in the movies that the Alien creatures are 8 ft tall... So, why fight it? Why not make it easy for ourselves and just agree on the fact that non-Queen Alien adults grow 8 ft tall?

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

QuoteThe Alien is eight feet
Yet, you have nothing to back it up.

Y'know, except for the fact that the 7'2 actor's head was located in the neck of the suit, or the fact that is is directly stated in the film. But maybe you're right. Maybe I'm completely wrong. Or maybe you're wrong. Actually, you kind of are wrong.

Quoteand it had enough strength to easily leap through twenty tons of lead. Pretty God-like.
Which already contradicts with everything shown previously, if it really had that much strength then why didn't the alien in the A3  extended cut just break free through that steel door it was trapped in? Or just opened up that door against Hicks in Aliens? Or hell, just break through any wall in the colony? Or that steel door in Aliens, which it needed quite some time to break though?

I have no idea why. Oh, wait. The Runner didn't do that because it was six solid feet of super metal, it did open the door against Hicks in Aliens and against other Marines, they did rip through walls in the colony, and it broke through that door in a matter of seconds.

QuoteAnd, take the distance between the Predator and Arnie's feet, and you get around six feet
But that's not the way you measure it, when they make broad jumps on the Olympics they are also measuring how far they managed to jump with whatever they land first, in this case, its Arnold's head.
Also, he flies in a hooked position, still a lot more than 6 feet.

Except I didn't measure it like that. And, I believe it was more around his mid-upper back that landed first, so you're still not correct. And even if it was his head, thirteen feet is more around the placement of the camera. I at least had it right with his feet, but you over measured the distance completely.

QuoteBut, hey, the fact that my points have been proven
I don't know what you mean by "proven" all the time, you don't prove anything at all, or even try to.

That's kind of because it was proven in the films, but if you need to be told what happens in the films, I'm more than happy to.

QuoteThe Alien is seven feet tall, has strength comparable to a humans, and weighs two hundred pounds?
It's stronger than a human, it is around 7 feet tall and probably weights around 250 pounds.

It's a Hell of a lot stronger, eight feet tall, and probably weighs around nine hundred pounds (yeah, I changed my estimate, 'cos I can see when I'm wrong).

QuoteA ton? No. Exoskeleton? No indication for that, still you're claiming it has one all the time, again, without delivering anything to back up your statement.

Actually, there's all the indication in the world. It has a ribcage on the outside, it's skin can deflect bullets, meaning it must have some hard properties to it, it has no visible flesh, in Alien Resurrection it made clanking sounds against the metal floor, and I don't know all that much about science, but I'm pretty sure that normal flesh wouldn't explode like the exoskeleton on the Runner did after being dipped in lead like that and having the sprinklers turned on it.

QuoteIt was more neck than head on the first film.  From the eyebrows up Bolaji's head was inside in the Aliens head.

Not completely, as others have said, but probably only an inch and a half in the head of the suit. The head was pretty huge. All it would have to be is around ten inches to make eight feet. But, arguing with this point is redundant considering I offered plenty of evidence above as to why it's eight feet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed