AvP 1999

Started by Born Of Cold Light, Jan 28, 2014, 03:35:25 AM

Author
AvP 1999 (Read 6,386 times)

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

This thread is dedicated to everything concerning the original 1999 game.

Despite its utter lack of story or characterization, in some ways, I think this game may be the best out of all the AvP games.  It completely captures the atmosphere of horror and how cheap human life is in the series.  It's just death and chaos in the raw.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its definitely the scariest of all the AvP games.

I remember one time as the pred playing Vault and sparing EVERY Marine.  As I made my way through the level I backtracked for an energy pickup because I just healed.  As I opened the door one of the Marines had made his way down with a smartgun and as soon as I opened the door he blasted the f**k out of me and I died.  Nearly shat my pants.

Now if the Marines in the game can make you jump you don't even need to bring up the Preds or Aliens.

Still think AvP2 is my favorite just because of its interactivity and its worldbuilding, but AvP might be better.  Would prefer a game that let its AI free roam like AvP but took you more in the world like AvP2. 

Combined elements of what made the first two good.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The atmosphere was just so wonderful. Alien Trilogy used to scare me a kid and then when I encountered AvP a few years later, this still made me nervous. I remember one mission where I didn't dare leave the APC for ages - think it was the third Marine mission.

I really need to do my replay on my new PC.

It still had it's flaws - the speed of the damn game. It was insane. Story?! What story? But it all looked wonderful and I liked being able to play in a new Jockey environment (the MP map).

Vertigo

Vertigo

Worth bearing in mind that AvP had most of its development prior to the release of Half-Life; nobody expected any kind of story in an FPS at that point. What little narrative connectivity the game has, was a last-minute decision on the part of Fox Interactive, as a response to HL's paradigm shift.

It's a bloody scary game with its total void of concessions to easy playability. Minimal saving ability, minimal cheating ability, extremely limited arsenal, enemies who massively outmatched you in at least one respect. And the sheer speed of it is daunting today, though this is more symptomatic of the snail's pace that 'realistic' shooters have conditioned us to.
I think it's a masterpiece of design, with each race having clearly defined strengths and weaknesses, and it's set a difficult benchmark for subsequent games to live up to.

That said, while it's scary, I don't feel it ever got under the skin of the characters. There's no cameraderie for the Marine, he's the standard loner FPS protagonist (which is a product of the time, rather than a design decision). The Alien's bullet speed and human-like fragility doesn't correspond with what we see in the movies (but it certainly makes them fun to play as/against). And any sense of the Predator's trophy hunting mentality is instilled by the player, rather than the game.

The legacy it really should have left was the sense of the game dynamic coming first in design, and of that incredible free-roaming AI which provided a different experience every time and forced the player to keep moving and alert. A lot of AvP's more brilliant ideas laid pretty much dormant until Valve mined them with Left 4 Dead many years later.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I had never beaten the Marine levels on DC until 2012 right before I deployed.  That's how tough it was.  Personally I liked the speed and the difficulty level.  The only reason I managed a playthrough on the DC was because I used my tech advantage as a Marine cautiously watching my motion tracker and minimizing the ammo spent using my weaponry.  I have never gotten to the point of memorizing the game like Acid Glow who can run the SP missions whilst hardly taking damage by remembering the maps and exploiting the AI.  I remember randomly giving my dad a bro fist after I beat the game because I had already beaten the Pred/Alien DC years before. 

Nowadays you got marines pistol whipping aliens.  Its bullshit.

Russ

Russ

What a game -- I don't know if it plays on modern machines, though -- I seem to remember finding my old copy of it and wooping, but it wouldn't run on XP, so I don't know if it'd go on windows 7.

But yes - late night, headphones on - - scary stuff!

AVP2 was great as well -- I only completed it recently.

I'm looking forward to the AVP new one and (yes, I know) Colonial Marines. I bought both at Christmas for the new playstation and instantly found out that aiming with a mouse is a lot easier than aiming with a paddle.... it stopped being fun and started being annoying, so I traded them in and bought the games on PC.

Well, two copies in fact, so my daughter and I can co-op.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Russ on Jan 30, 2014, 01:40:24 PM
What a game -- I don't know if it plays on modern machines, though -- I seem to remember finding my old copy of it and wooping, but it wouldn't run on XP, so I don't know if it'd go on windows 7.

The Steam version runs on all OS and systems.

Russ

Russ

I'm 43. I have no idea what Steam is *lol*

WinterActual

Cabo Grake69

Cabo Grake69

Hi there! I dont know if this is the right thread to talk about it... but I´m looking for people who actually play AVP 99 (Avp 2000 classic) at steam.

If interested, please let me know. I just cant wait for playing multiplayer again.

Cheers

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 28, 2014, 08:28:56 AM
I remember one mission where I didn't dare leave the APC for ages - think it was the third Marine mission.

Yeah its the third

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BwWXsLTkO8#

CLASSIC AvP 1 moment at 4:39 lol. I really freaked out then.

Russ

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: WinterActual on Mar 08, 2014, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 28, 2014, 08:28:56 AM
I remember one mission where I didn't dare leave the APC for ages - think it was the third Marine mission.

Yeah its the third

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BwWXsLTkO8#

CLASSIC AvP 1 moment at 4:39 lol. I really freaked out then.

The third level of the marine storyline was hard as hell the first couple times I played it.  The fourth level was actually relatively easy cpared to the previous one.  Then there was the fifth...

Wey-Yu Xeno

Wey-Yu Xeno

Should I get this game? It seems really good, but I hate first person shooters with enormous maps with only one exit. AVP2 was great, but I had to spend an hour looking for the exit, which is no fun.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

AvP 99 was pretty linear but does have multiple ways to its objectives.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed