Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 11, 2020, 05:45:25 PM

Author
Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment! (Read 87,407 times)

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 05, 2022, 03:30:32 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 05, 2022, 03:26:38 PMHalloween and Terminator ignored that advice and look where it landed them.

Exactly what I thought

And I think Blade Runner 2049  ;)

BlueMarsalis79

That only had the one sequel, and not one that opted to undo the story of other entries, it is also primarily about new individuals not a regurgitation.

Darwinsgirl

This example illustrates age is not a factor and the plot.

I'm not suggesting un doing any previous films or that Ripley is the primary character. I think there are story lines that can use the character . We don't know the full results of Ripley 8. The age enhancing property of the ALIEN. Which allows it to grow to an adult in hour's. All unexplored possibility using an older Ripley. 8)

BlueMarsalis79

"Ripley" directed by James Mangold.

That's the only way it works.

Darwinsgirl

I'm not an author but I can think of several plots for Ripley 8.

Something I've posted on the site in the past. Ripley 8 is the ALIEN. The monster so to speak.

It's why hybrid wolves are not encouraged to be kept as pets. There's no predicting if the wolf side will become dominate.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah exactly why James Mangold might have a genuinely interesting story there.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Sep 05, 2022, 03:53:22 PMThis example illustrates age is not a factor and the plot.

I'm not suggesting un doing any previous films or that Ripley is the primary character. I think there are story lines that can use the character . We don't know the full results of Ripley 8. The age enhancing property of the ALIEN. Which allows it to grow to an adult in hour's. All unexplored possibility using an older Ripley. 8)

I'm fully on-board with retconning Alien 3 even though I thoroughly like the movie.  The Aliens series is not just about the creatures.  It's about certain characters as well.  The Aliens series was at its best when it revolved around Ripley and has had steadily diminishing returns ever since.  Taking away Ripley was like taking away Batman from a Batman film.  The send-off was just so bad and unfulfilling, it mostly appeals to people who choose darkness, hopelessness and the nihilistic view of life.  Aliens was the best film in the series and it took the story and it took it in a positive life-affirming direction.  It gave us that Disney ending and that is why it appealed to the masses.  The Aliens series needs to get back to that.

Also, the Aliens series already has retcons.  Prometheus undid the AVP series.  Moreover, the Halloween series is terrific in the way it uses retcons to tell the story of Michael Myers from different perspectives; each one being its own legend.

Retcon Alien 3!

BigDaddyJohn

Cocolyte

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2022, 04:29:18 PMI'm fully on-board with retconning Alien 3 even though I thoroughly like the movie.  The Aliens series is not just about the creatures.  It's about certain characters as well.  The Aliens series was at its best when it revolved around Ripley and has had steadily diminishing returns ever since.  Taking away Ripley was like taking away Batman from a Batman film.

No. False equivalency. Ripley is not the Batman of Alien. The Alien is the Batman of Alien. But even still, it's a tenuous comparison.

Anyway, It's not the "Aliens" series. You can't just pretend that Aliens, the sequel, is the source material. It's just not.

So, yes, the series was at it's best when Ripley was there, but that's not BECAUSE Ripley was there. It's because the prequels are the ramblings of an insane old man. (I haven't seen the AVP films yet, but from what I gather it's shit writing that made those bad.)

Unhinged Ridley Scott ⤵
Spoiler
[close]

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2022, 04:29:18 PMThe send-off was just so bad and unfulfilling, it mostly appeals to people who choose darkness, hopelessness and the nihilistic view of life. 

If that was your take on Alien 3 then I'm not sure you were paying attention. It's a story about certain death, yes. But moreover it's a story about keeping your hope alive and doing what's right even knowing that you'll die. It's the most hopeful movie I've seen in a while. And it's in my catalog of media that inspires me to do what's right, not to give up and embrace darkness.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2022, 04:29:18 PMAliens was the best film in the series and it took the story and it took it in a positive life-affirming direction.  It gave us that Disney ending and that is why it appealed to the masses.  The Aliens series needs to get back to that.

That is so shallow and vapid, I don't even know what to say. Why on Earth would you want Alien to be so simple? Just go watch Star Wars or something. Alien doesn't need to be like the bland mess of media we're inundated with nowadays.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2022, 04:29:18 PMAlso, the Aliens series already has retcons.  Prometheus undid the AVP series.

AVP was never canon.

They did, however, sort of retcon how the space jockey do into a much more simplistic idea. Plus they retconned what that black goop does in the prequels. So I'll give you that.

BlueMarsalis79

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2022, 04:29:18 PMRetcon Alien 3!

Telling that you call it the "Aliens" series.

BlueMarsalis79

Actually does a disservice to how unique it is in the Alien Anthology despite the many shallow imitators.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 05, 2022, 06:17:56 PM

But it is the Aliens series.  It has been for decades because it was the superior film in the series.  Most products were labeled with the Aliens logo, and its only in recent times that the "Alien" logo made its comeback.  But the "Aliens" logo is the one that has become iconic and instantly recognizable for its influence on Science Fiction.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2022, 07:33:59 PM

But it is the Aliens series.  It has been for decades because it was the superior film in the series.  Most products were labeled with the Aliens logo, and its only in recent times that the "Alien" logo made its comeback.  But the "Aliens" logo is the one that has become iconic and instantly recognizable for its influence on Science Fiction.

POV you're Perfect-Organism when Disney says it's not interested in more Ripley, and Noah Hawley's said he thought the story ended perfectly, so you argue that it's the "Aliens Series" not the "Alien Series" when only the one title in the entire franchise's the plural variation.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2022, 07:33:59 PM

Part of what I found "telling" was that like me, you seemingly grew up during that time period. But in your own post you admit that's changed, and then again make an entirely subjective claim as if it's fact.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed