Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 03, 2024, 05:18:28 PM

Author
Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew (Read 9,723 times)

BigDaddyJohn

I fear this hypnotic aspect of the alien is not really reproducible today, but I hope I'm wrong.

solace97

You are  ;D

Bonus Situation

I for one am getting a bit excited and not judging too much from a production still or two. Seeing the alien going through stages of its growth cycle would be new on screen and still close to the original concept. Hopefully we get to see it. Like other my only reserved gripe is too many callbacks. Dare to be original. Here's hoping for the best!

SiL

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 04, 2024, 05:24:53 PMI fear this hypnotic aspect of the alien is not really reproducible today, but I hope I'm wrong.
It would require people to stop approaching it as a monstrous beast.

Even on the first movie, everyone who wasn't Giger who tackled the adult kept making it beastly. Rombaldi's first heads were sort of broad and bulky much to Giger's dismay, who likened it to his work on Kong.

Stop with the pronounced hipbones and splayed feet and flipper hands and square jaws and other monster aesthetics and let the sleek biomechanical lines cook.

jacobo1122

Romulus Alien design already did one thing right. It appears to have visible skull, and that's always a win in my book.

Local Trouble

SiL

Quote from: jacobo1122 on May 04, 2024, 09:48:38 PMRomulus Alien design already did one thing right. It appears to have visible skull, and that's always a win in my book.
Extra visible with the crack in the dome!

Sabres21768

Quote from: jacobo1122 on May 04, 2024, 10:46:42 AM
Quote from: Drukathi on May 04, 2024, 10:34:57 AM
Quote from: jacobo1122 on May 04, 2024, 09:58:27 AMPeople from Creative Assembly noticed that Xeno walking on its original humanoid legs doesn't look very threathning .

Skill issue :D
Spoiler
or bias
[close]

Nah, they were trying to implement it, but it just looked ankward in game enveiroment, with it mostly stalking the halls on two legs and running a lot.
I'm  STILL waiting to see footage of that in-game before they changed it.

jacobo1122

Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 04, 2024, 10:48:38 PM
Quote from: jacobo1122 on May 04, 2024, 10:46:42 AM
Quote from: Drukathi on May 04, 2024, 10:34:57 AM
Quote from: jacobo1122 on May 04, 2024, 09:58:27 AMPeople from Creative Assembly noticed that Xeno walking on its original humanoid legs doesn't look very threathning .

Skill issue :D
Spoiler
or bias
[close]

Nah, they were trying to implement it, but it just looked ankward in game enveiroment, with it mostly stalking the halls on two legs and running a lot.
I'm  STILL waiting to see footage of that in-game before they changed it.

Would be interesting to see for sure.

PsyKore

I don't remember them specifically saying they built it in game with humanoid legs. It's always "we noticed," "we thought," etc. It was just a means to placate the purists.

The legs didn't bother me honestly. I had more of a problem with its stomping and  constant grinning.

JAWS -the Revenge

JAWS -the Revenge

So I know Mike said this isn't the Big Chap. And he has seen the film a few times. So I really do take his word for it. But many others on the net are saying it definitely IS the Big Chap. Mainly I think due the crack or " battle damage" skull. It occurred to me that the crack could be due to the metamorphosis of this Xeno. Like it's molting it's carapace. Which many a discussion has been had about the evolution/life cycle of the Xeno.

Ulfer

I understand the rationale behind the choice to have a younger crew, scenario-wise, but there can also be commercial motivations behind it and I must admit I think that there are already too many (horror) movies with insufferable young characters (to please the YA audience), thus I have some apprehension about this aspect.
I agree with solace97. The reactions to the alien in the first movie were great and conveyed the true alienness of the creature, the horror and awe of the characters when they saw it in its adult stage. However, with the second movie, the multiplication of the creatures diminished this aspect and although there was terror, it was less linked to the appearance of just one xeno. There are passages of the third movie where the xeno is impressive for the audience in that sense too. In Covenant, I found the tiny bit where the Protoxeno enters into the hangar at the end to convey that same impression. The problem is also linked to the degree of exposition to the creature, its screentime, and other things.

BigDaddyJohn

Alvarez often uses younglings in his movies anyway though.

T Dog

Prince

Yes, yes , using a young cast for a  horror movie is definitely a recent trend, yes.
*cough Halloween * *cough Friday the 13th* *cough Nightmare on Elm Street *

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed