Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 280,115 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Gash on May 20, 2017, 10:26:17 AM
Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 03:36:47 AM

Also, how is Resurrection a pilot for Firefly if Whedon disowned it essentially?

He disowned it because it was ridiculed as rubbish and he didn't want to take the blame.

Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 07:46:38 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 20, 2017, 07:38:02 AM
Well, just saw the movie in Toronto, Canada.  It was very grey and dark.  Not digging the color palette.  Also, it reminded me of a Star Trek movie.  The one on that Genesis planet whichever that is.  It's nothing to do with the story.  It's just being on an alien planet that looks like earth that irks me, and it felt like being on a set.  The ending was ace though.  I'm going to have to watch it ten more times before I figure out how I feel about the film.  I did prefer Prometheus.  Also no explanation at all about why the explorers would go on a planet that clearly has living things on it, without any environmental protective gear.  That's just dumb.  Again.  Dum and dumber...

I am kinda disappointed that you of all people, would bring up the safety protocol argument, JM.  I figured you would have caught the bit of dialog where they mention conducting an atmospheric scan and not finding anything dangerous in the atmosphere.  :(

Plus, they had seven weeks from finding the planet to arriving at it, plenty of time to get more info on it. As more is revealed later on it's easy enough to assume that it's a planet in abeyance until they arrive and start triggering things.

I am not sure who JM is but I definitely missed that line in the film.  Regardless, even if that is what your computer told you, it would be really silly to land on a planet with vegetation of any sort and not wear protection.  You could contaminate the whole planet with your genetic stuff, and vice versa.  It's just plain dumb, but for the sake of the film we have to overlook it.

Anyway, after seeing it last night, I had a really awesome nightmare about the film.  I'm sort of warming up to it a little.  Perhaps the fact that I found it really gray is in response to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last week.  I went from a super colorful experience to a very dreary and desaturated film and it didn't quite work for me.  But the ending was really ace.  That's the bit that I had a nightmare about.  Falling asleep in what is essentially a coffin with a stupid android like David over me.  The ending was truly great horror...

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on May 20, 2017, 08:16:25 PM
Alien>Aliens>Alien 3 (Director's Cut)>Alien Covenant>Prometheus>Alien Resurrection>AVP>AVPR

That's how I rank the movies

I prefer Prometheus over Covenant.  There was more mystery and awe in Prometheus.  There was nothing really mysterious or surprising in Covenant.  That sense of discovery was missing or fell flat.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I'll write a lengthier review later because I feel like I need to give it another view before I can give it a fair verdict, because this movie is just so damn odd in many ways.

Things I LIKED:
- Creature design. I especially like the posture and proportions of the Xenomorph.
- Oram and Daniels were amazing, and I found Oram's wife and the cowboy dude (Tennessee?) to be interesting characters as well.
- Beautifully shot movie.
- Great weather/atmospherical effect.
- Good score.
- Technology, albeit too hi-tech compared to ALIEN, felt realistic.

Things I DIDN'T like:
- Fassbender. Yes, I said it. I like him as an actor and Walter and David are interesting characters, but they DON'T feel like Alien movie character. Or let's put it this way - they feel more like they belong in A:R than ALIEN/ALIENS/A3. The only time I enjoyed David was when he communicated with the Neomorphic followed by him being super creepy in the Egg Cellar.
- I really, really HATED the crane barge/rig action sequence. It was so unnecessary and stupid and so out of character. It felt like the Matrix and all of a sudden they were all action heroes not scared of anything, not even the Alien. It's more ridiculous than the end fight in ALIENS. That scene in A:C really threw me off and I had a hard time to get back into the movie after that.
- The bombardment scene was completely unnecessary and should have been left out. It would left some mystery left in the movie not knowing what exactly happening to them.
- The opening scene did not fit in despite its intentions. Flashback scenes don't belong in Alien movies as it automatically threads on the here-and-now realism that the original movies had, including A:R.
- Space ship designs were a little lacking and didn't feel real. If the planetary effects hadn't been so good those ships would've looked really fake.

That's it for now.

I'll write a lengthier review later because I feel like I need to give it another view before I can give it a fair verdict, because this movie is just so damn odd in many ways.

Things I LIKED:
- Creature design. I especially like the posture and proportions of the Xenomorph.
- Oram and Daniels were amazing, and I found Oram's wife and the cowboy dude (Tennessee?) to be interesting characters as well.
- Beautifully shot movie.
- Great weather/atmospherical effect.
- Good score.
- Technology, albeit too hi-tech compared to ALIEN, felt realistic.

Things I DIDN'T like:
- Fassbender. Yes, I said it. I like him as an actor and Walter and David are interesting characters, but they DON'T feel like Alien movie character. Or let's put it this way - they feel more like they belong in A:R than ALIEN/ALIENS/A3. The only time I enjoyed David was when he communicated with the Neomorphic followed by him being super creepy in the Egg Cellar.
- I really, really HATED the crane barge/rig action sequence. It was so unnecessary and stupid and so out of character. It felt like the Matrix and all of a sudden they were all action heroes not scared of anything, not even the Alien. It's more ridiculous than the end fight in ALIENS. That scene in A:C really threw me off and I had a hard time to get back into the movie after that.
- The bombardment scene was completely unnecessary and should have been left out. It would left some mystery left in the movie not knowing what exactly happening to them.
- The opening scene did not fit in despite its intentions. Flashback scenes don't belong in Alien movies as it automatically threads on the here-and-now realism that the original movies had, including A:R.
- Space ship designs were a little lacking and didn't feel real. If the planetary effects hadn't been so good those ships would've looked really fake.

That's it for now.

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 20, 2017, 08:28:11 PM

Yeah, good point. One of the reasons that action scene didn't hit the mark was because all of the sudden Daniels became a gung-ho action heroine with no development towards that. It felt forced and out of place.

And that flashback came out of nowhere, very jarring.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Apparently, the studio wanted the bombing scene out, but Ridley insisted on keeping it in.

I gotta go with the studio here, it was pretty pointless. I think David's actions throughout Covenant tells the audience what happened to the Engineers.

I think they should've shown the bombing scene in The Crossing prologue.

szkoki

szkoki

the medbay scene deserves a much better movie. that was so real, the acting, the character decisions even the "stupid" parts like slipping twice on the same blood spot and shooting the gas tanks it felt all tragically real. i was on my edge

actually im really sad how this movie turned out after that

426Buddy

426Buddy

Visually stunning

Loved having a film full of creatures and it was horribly nasty and gnarly in all the right ways. The neomorph was just great. The backburster and mouthburster scenes were so intense and nasty. The neomorph killing in davids lair was great.

Loved the ships, they all felt real and appropriate for the universe. Its time to get over the advanced tech compared to Alien, this is obviously a modern take on scifi tech and im cool with that.

Loved how splendidly weird the film is, dont see that very often from a studio blockbuster. David was coocoo for cocoa puffs.

The cast was great, really liked oram when actually i thought i would hate him. McBride and Waterson were great.

Davids lair was a visual treat, really sumptuous. The flashback was great. And some of the xenomorph stuff was great too. Loved when it jumps down on top of the guy in davids lair, so cool.

I enjoyed the story and the themes it explored, the ending with david was not meant as a twist. You were suppose to see it coming and it was horrific. I feel david creating the xenomorph isnt set in stone and may change later. I found plenty of wiggle room there.

Now i did think the pacing was really wonky, needed work.

The scenes between david and walter were just too on the nose when it came to the homoerotic undertones. The fingering line made the whole theatre snicker. Hell i snickered and i knew it was coming already.

The xenomorph action at the end was the films weakest part even though there were some really cool moments. These scenes needed to be reworked to include more tension and dread. I did find the aliens death in the hydrolic arm to pretty cool though.

Too much cgi and needed more practical left in. I mean the cgi was mostly good to great but there was just too much whem it came to the creatures.

The xenomorph design was not great imo, its better than in AR and the avp films though.

People do some super dumb shit. Which is normal for an alien film but i wish it could be avoided a bit. David could have dragged oram to the eggs and forced him to take a hugger. That would have been pretty horrific. Had the landing crew worn masks that could still be breached by the parasitic organisms, it would have been better and i think less criticized.

I found a lot the criticism leveled at the film to be superfluous, much of it i didnt notice or take issue with.

Overall it was really enjoyable, nasty, and bleak. It was a great time at the movies.

7.5/10

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

So I finally saw it today, and I can say that for the first 2/3 of the movie, I was mentally declaring that I loved it.

The opening where we get to meet the crew and see their dynamics was really good, and I enjoyed that the movie allowed a slow burn in the beginning. I liked pretty much all of the characters, and overall it was a massive improvement over Prometheus in that regard. I don't know where the complaints about them acting stupid come from; they seemed to act pretty appropriately the whole movie. Even the scene people have talked about with Oram and his "I saw the devil" line followed by looking at the egg didn't play as dumb to me. Katherine Waterston did a good job, but I do feel her character was under-written. Danny McBride was really the main protagonist, and I liked that just fine.

I loved the score, too. The references to Alien set the mood effectively, and the one or two callbacks to Prometheus when Shaw gets mentioned were great. Even David breaking the fourth wall by playing the theme was surprisingly okay given where it falls in the film.

Fassbender absolutely knocked it out of the park. I was worried form the spoilers that David would come across as a mustache twirling villain, but I actually felt bad for him. He's such a broken toy. If he's going to be the anti-hero of this trilogy, I'm excited to see more. His interactions with Walter were as sexually charged as the other reviews have noted, and the contrast between the two was really well played. Was it my imagination, or was David's voice slightly modulated the whole film as a sort of reference to him being broken? I'll have to listen in  another viewing.

Regarding Shaw, I just want to clear up some confusion: the prop we saw a picture of where she has biomechanical stuff growing out of her head is absolutely the one we see in the film, just with the eyes closed rather than open. I don't mind the way her character was written out, because there was more references to her and how much David allegedly loved her than I was expecting. I'm very much looking forward to reading the prequel, because I'm morbidly interested in what David's feeling really are/were. Did he actually love her, but he's so messed up he kills her anyway? It's a story I'm glad is getting told, but I agree that the Crossing prologue should have been in the film. David's "the same thing I'm going to do to you" line and the way he kisses Daniels and Walter was also an interesting play on the sexual violence overtones of the alien. He's such a broken malevolent little boy.

I also found the Byron vs. Shelley mix-up to be a really important moment in the film. It's almost as if by pointing out how David got something so fundamental to his action wrong, Scott was exposing the pseudo-philosophy of Prometheus as empty (and I'm someone who enjoyed Prometheus). This film works really well as a dark, mean spirited, and ugly sequel to Prometheus. It throws hope right out the window, so it works well for this universe.

As far as the bombing scene, they were definitely Engineers. In the film, they look a  lot more like Engineers than in some of the still pics, and their voices are unmistakably the same as in the deleted scene from Prometheus. And yes, I definitely saw new limbs and such coming out of some of them once they had been hit with the goo, and I'm pretty sure I saw something come out of one of their chests. I'll have to slow it down when it comes out on Blue Ray, though. I wish the scene was longer.

The Neomorphs were a real standout. I love the design, and the effects seemed more polished than the actually xeno (more on that later).I wish we had seen more of them. David's reaction to Oram killing one was actually affecting. You really get the sense that David has love for his creations, and that's hammered home when the xeno is born. That scene is bound to be controversial, but I enjoyed David and his creation bonding.

Also, having seen the film, David definitely created the xenos, and I actually don't hate it. It may ruin the EU and risks shrinking the universe, but as it stands now, this Frankenstein story about a broken android playing god is compelling enough for me to go with where Scott is taking us.

The xeno is where the negatives start coming in. I was hoping people were exaggerating, but yeah, the CG on the alien is kind of bad. It also didn't work at all seeing it out in the open, and I didn't like how easily the first one was dispatched. I agree with Hicks 100%: they should have left the alien out of the movie and just focused on the Neomorphs as their precursor. The last act on the Covenant didn't work, and you tell editing played a role, although I will say the editing didn't feel as obvious as the last act of Prometheus, where it's painfully apparent that stuff is missing.

The dark ending was great, though, and I'm looking forward to where we go from here,

Overall, it's 2/3 of a great movie, and I hope I get to see it in theaters at least one more time.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2017, 04:07:58 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:09:52 AM
If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

While I don't hate Covenant, I don't like the direction it's setting up to go in. I'm with you in that I hope they give it to someone else who actually wants to make Alien films. Not David films with Aliens tacked on. And I love David. I'd rather Scott had been able to make an Alien-less film focusing around David and the Neomorphs.

You're probably going to disagree with me, but after Ridley Scott's Alien, this film series turned into Ripley's Story with Xenomorphs.

To be honest, I don't see a big difference  :-\

This (David being the star) doesn't bother me at all. That being said, I'm very happy with what Scott has given us  :)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 20, 2017, 08:28:11 PM

I think if you're not on board with the set-up of Weyland and David's opening interaction, you're going to have problems with the whole thrust of the film.

prototypeXIII

prototypeXIII

I liked it, alot.  I think the greatest sin it suffers from is a lack of originality.  It's very comparable to the force awakens; just a mashed re-dub of the original movies + Prometheus.  That being said, there is a positive side to how this movie was laid out, it answered some questions, but it also left you wanting something more.  It also laid the foundation work for the next movie to be a completely original piece of work as it migrated the story away from the black goo.

I think had this movie been an original piece of work and not part of a pre-existing franchise it would have been received much stronger; there are some really great undertones in the movie -- dark and heavy as it should be ;]
That being said, someone who is into syfy horror and has never seen an alien movie may actually enjoy this movie more than the fans, so that is a plus.

All in all, there is still a lot of creative wiggle room after this release which is the good. Ultimately if they tie the story in so that it all makes sense in the end, this movie may end up panning stronger than initially perceived.

szkoki

szkoki

Spoiler

[close]

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: Magegg on May 20, 2017, 09:34:51 PM
Just came back from the theater and, dear God.

This has been one of the my worst experiences at movies. Lame and stupid, predictable at every moment, it mixes the worst from each of the worst Alien and AVP movies in the worst package possible.

This must have been the worst marriage between sci fi and horror movies: it features all of the eye-rolling sci fi expository moments as well as the lame stupid characters, decisions and boring gore from horror.

Definitely the worst Alien saga movie, twice as bad as Alien: Resurrection (for those who considered it bad) and leaves a big cloud of stench around one of my favorite film series.

I'd rate it 1/10 because it least it kinds of tried to wrap up some continuity elements from Prometheus, but but I'm still thinking about removing that "1" point because it actually ruined Prometheus, it killed all the chances it had of presenting interesting stuff about the Engineers and such.

Ridley, please commit suicide or something.

I hope the next Predator movie at least will be decent, unlike this embarrassing abhorrent mess from Covenant :/
You're a pathetic asshole

That Yellow Alien

szkoki

szkoki

Saw it for the second time i was gifted with a ticket. Seriously this movie is below Prometheus. Pisses on it and the alien universe. Seriously its on AVP Requiem level story and characterwise. Its a beautiful piece of crap.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: szkoki on May 20, 2017, 09:44:46 PM

Spoiler

[close]

Three good images and a giant bug

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed