Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 852,034 times)

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Aug 26, 2020, 06:06:07 AM
The Black Hole

SM saying it's on Disney+ made me revisit it.

Great soundtrack, some great ideas, and the shots of the Cygnus falling into the black hole are gorgeous, but yes, it's a bit of a mess and could actually benefit from a good remake.

But holy moly is it dark for a Disney flick!

Incredibly Dark. Still love it. That score is a personal favourite. The visual design throughout is superb but yes it does fall apart in a few key moments.

Give us the 4K Restored Bluray Disney dammit!!!
And yes give us a remake too.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Mulholland Drive

I could do with some Winkie's right about now...

SiL

SiL

Tron

... is the film old enough for us all to agree it's really just kind'a not that good?

SM

SM

I saw it a drive-in sometime in the early 1980s.  I never thought it was that good.  The light cycles were pretty cool and the MCP was creepy as, for a young mind, but other than that it was pretty lame.

I've seen the sequel but my only recollection is hokey CG Jeff Bridges.  And Daft Punk.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2020, 01:27:11 AM
hokey CG Jeff Bridges

TBH I stand by hokey CG Jeff Bridges. It looks truly terrible in the flashback at the start of the movie when it is young Kevin Flynn in the real world... but through the majority of the movie, when it is representing a computer program surrounded by all the neon lights and such, it doesn't bother me. There's a real uncanny valley effect for sure, but it existing in the digital world lessens the blow.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2020, 01:02:59 AM
Tron

... is the film old enough for us all to agree it's really just kind'a not that good?

Yer. I agree. CG aside ... I was rather bored as a young kid.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2020, 01:02:59 AM
Tron

Visually it's interesting even now and it certainly has its moments, but as a film it's kinda meh.

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2020, 01:27:11 AMI've seen the sequel but my only recollection is hokey CG Jeff Bridges.  And Daft Punk.

The sequel is also kinda meh, but at the same time one of the most amazing audio-visual experiences I've ever sat through. It looks and sounds stunning (CG Bridges aside).

SiL

SiL

Tron Legacy soundtrack is my jam.

SM

SM

QuoteIt looks truly terrible in the flashback at the start of the movie when it is young Kevin Flynn in the real world...

Yeah that's the one I meant.

Kradan

Kradan

Annihilation

It's great sci-fi movie (especially for its budget which is ridiculous) and it definetly has something to say (even if I struggle to understand what exactly) but I can't say it's a movie I'm dying to re-watch. Not neccesarily my cup of tea. It's good every two-three months movie, I'd say

Spoiler
Thanks to Mike Stoklasa, I've noticed that lair of "alien" in the end looks Giger-esque as f**k. Seriously, I'm ashamed not seeing that watching movie first time. So, #TeamGarland  ;D

Also, everyone talks about that f**king bear. But for me the moment when they cut guy's belly open and his guts were f**king moving was the most unsettling one. I had to turn away for couple of seconds and last time I remember doing that was many years ago watching Ripley's chestburster scene from Aliens. Ugh

I dug the visuals. Even despite its low budget movie conveyed feeling "something wrong with this place" pretty well and was subtle with it not revealing everything at once. A lot of things were just shown and not commented by characters which was highly appreciated. "Lair" definetly had 2001 vibe to it. And score complemented it perfectly
[close]

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2020, 08:25:29 AM
Tron Legacy soundtrack is my jam.

I concur.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Kradan

Kradan

Outland

Absolutely loved it. From start to finish. Just as easily could be called "Colonial Marshal: The Fangasm Experience"

I can jerk-off to these visuals. If Ron Cobb wasn't involved, someone sure was heavily inspired by his work. This movie is SO in Alien universe - right from the openning sequence. Nowadays it would be called Alien spin-off. f**k you, Predator, f**k you, Blade Runner. I wanna my sweet Alien-Outland crossover now with Sean Connery fighting Aliens. There were so many shots where I can practicaly feel Ridley Scott was behind the camera. Give up Peter Hyams or whatever your name is - your true identity has been exposed.

It was so nice to hear Goldsmith's score. While it never reached the same heights of weirdness as in Alien, it was great anyway and I applaud the person who had a thought of bringing him in

And not only visuals and score were Alien - characters were too. It's like someone saw cut of Alien with everything "Alien" taken off, decided to make something similair and upped it to 11. Characters' dynamics conveyed that "working class" feel of Alien perfectly. Everybody doing their job and complaing about their salary. And evil Company f**king with people is here too

Sean Connery was great lead. I'm in love with his accent. Frances Hussey Sternhagen as a doctor reminded me of doctor from Predator 2 (come on, Voodoo, you know her name). Peter Boyle played slimmy villain very well - I was happy when Connery kicked him in the face. I had some genuine chuckles from characters dialogue. For example:

Spoiler
-Lazarus? This is O'Niel. I'll see you in hospital, right away

-You know what time it is ?

-Yes

-You better be dying
[close]

And moral of the story, kids, is - decompression is your enemy. Seriously, every decompression scene was hillarious

Final verdict: Outland is must-see for anyone who dares calling himself/herself/itself an Alien fan

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

"Iron Maiden? EXCELLENT!" ;D

Getting myself ready for Face the Music.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Young and Prodigious TS Spivet

Loved the cinematography in this movie! I really enjoyed the first hour but felt it kinda lagged after that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed