Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 849,579 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 18, 2018, 09:13:06 AM
There are plenty out there, although I haven't noticed any being made for some time now. Other than the holy trinity of 'Nam movies (Platoon, Apocalypse Now and FMJ) I'd recommend Hamburger Hill, We Were Soldiers, Casualties of War and of course The Deer Hunter. There's also Jacob's Ladder, although that's more of a psychological horror with the war as a backdrop.

One more that's worth looking at is The Killing Fields, which is more about the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia than Vietnam, but it's absolutely excellent.

Quote from: Russ on Dec 18, 2018, 10:38:22 AM

I think you mean: Missing in Action, Missing in Action 2:The Beginning and Braddock: Missing in Action 3  ;D

Also - Uncommon Valour is a brilliant (post)'Nam movie. Bat 21. Platoon Leader. The Siege of Firebase Gloria.. and the ace TV show Tour of Duty. (And of course Rambo: First Blood Part 2).

I'm sorry. I meant why aren't there more Vietnam movies. Compared to World War 2 movies.
We get at least one new WW2 movie each year. And I'm so bored with those. Gimme som 'nam, man!

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 18, 2018, 05:39:12 PM
I'm sorry. I meant why aren't there more Vietnam movies. Compared to World War 2 movies.
We get at least one new WW2 movie each year. And I'm so bored with those. Gimme som 'nam, man!

I guess that makes you unfortunate, son.  ;)

Some folks are bored, of the same old war
ooh, they need somethin' new.
Cause when the intro rolls they're filled with grief
Sh*t, it's more world war 2, Lord.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 18, 2018, 05:45:47 PMI guess that makes you unfortunate, son.  ;)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 18, 2018, 05:45:47 PM

:laugh:

That's another thing: the music. There are so many great tunes from that era.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 18, 2018, 08:36:14 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 18, 2018, 05:45:47 PM

:laugh:

That's another thing: the music. There are so many great tunes from that era.

You can't beat CCR. Interestingly enough, my father was approached by a Veteran many years ago at a gas station. He wanted to ask about the bike my old man was riding. As the conversation started to near its end, the subject of the man's service in Vietnam came up. Long story short, the guy told him and I quote, "I've heard other guys say it and it's fu**in' true man, I'm tellin' you what, I never would've made it through that sh*t without Creedence".

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Wow, this was great. Easily my favorite Spidey movie.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 18, 2018, 09:28:12 PMYou can't beat CCR. Interestingly enough, my father was approached by a Veteran many years ago at a gas station. He wanted to ask about the bike my old man was riding. As the conversation started to near its end, the subject of the man's service in Vietnam came up. Long story short, the guy told him and I quote, "I've heard other guys say it and it's fu**in' true man, I'm tellin' you what, I never would've made it through that sh*t without Creedence".

True. It's a one of kind band.

All that stuff makes the Vietnam war so interesting.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Platoon (1986)
Solid movie but my least favorite of the holy Vietnam movie trinity. Several awesomes scenes but as a whole I don't like it that much.

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984) 't Is the season for Christmas horror movies.
A traumatized orphan is forced to play Santa for his job in the toystore. Then an incident triggers his psychoses and he goes on a kiling spree.
"Naughty!"

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 18, 2018, 05:39:12 PM

That's a good question. I honestly don't know and now my mind is burning with ideas for a Vietnam story (damn you, I've got two projects on the go at the moment and I don't have time!)

I think you might have a hit a zietgiest! As has been pointed out, there's so much mileage in the imagery and music and all that stuff...

Then again, for American companies and audiences... is it like making a film about the Troubles in Northern Ireland... is it still a sensitive issue in that regard?

>>>>>>>>>>>

I watched the new Tomb Raider last night. It was all a bit "meh" to be honest. Look, it wasn't bad... it was just very by the numbers... I don't know, it was like drinking alcohol free lager or something.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Russ on Dec 20, 2018, 10:48:28 AM
That's a good question. I honestly don't know and now my mind is burning with ideas for a Vietnam story (damn you, I've got two projects on the go at the moment and I don't have time!)

I think you might have a hit a zietgiest! As has been pointed out, there's so much mileage in the imagery and music and all that stuff...

Then again, for American companies and audiences... is it like making a film about the Troubles in Northern Ireland... is it still a sensitive issue in that regard?

Pretty sure it's because the USA lost, they were sorta the bad guys and there are still survivors and close family of survivors.

Yes, plenty of stuff to it. Tour Of Duty touched a lot of subjects. They did it well and with a lot of heart. Too bad it wasn't R-Rated.
A while ago I read HBO secured the rights to a book on Vietnam https://www.imdb.com/news/ni58037929 but I haven't heard anything since.
If they took a Band Of Brothers/The Pacific approach it would certainly be another hit.

Russ

Russ

Thanks for the link, man - yes, an HBO series in that style would be ace; as you say "Tour of Duty" was brilliant for that.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

We're the Millers
Gets funnier every single time

Huggs

Huggs

The Predator - Blu-ray

Holy Moses, even watching it with no thoughts of the franchise, this is by far one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This makes Fallen Kingdom look good. I'm gonna have to watch Independence day 2 again just to remind myself that there are better movies out there.

What a rotten, sh*ttin', god-awful mess.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

They Live

This is totally perfect for the Christmas season, right? :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 21, 2018, 03:25:39 AM
They Live

This is totally perfect for the Christmas season, right? :laugh:

With all the spending and consuming going on right now, it's perfect.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed