Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 852,364 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jul 31, 2018, 09:31:06 AM
Dunkirk

Christopher Nolan can plot a narrative like nobody's business by f**king hell will someone sit him down and explain the importance of character at some point?

Yes, yes, it's all very clever cutting the three timelines into a cohesive narrative. Props to the writing and editing and direction for that. But I have no more reason to care about the main soldiers trying to get off the beach than I do any of the dozens of faceless soldiers who get shot or drowned or blown up around them. For all we can identify them, or with them, each scene might as well have had a different cast of characters facing obstacles. You'd lose absolutely no dramatic flow or tension.

The only reason I like Tom Hardy's character is he's Tom Hardy. The guys on the boat are the only real characters in the whole story.

The jumping around in time really shat me in that film.  Every time we cut you have to work where you are again - is this before that bit or after this bit?  Is this plane guy before he ran out of fuel, or the other plane guy?  A bit of jumping around would've worked nicely, but I found it way over the top.

Other than that I dug it.

CristianoRonaldo7

CristianoRonaldo7

Black Hawk Down.

Black Hawk Down is my favorite War film of all time.

I was excited for Battle of Britain by Ridley Scott.

SM

SM

Favourite war film - Aliens or Empire Strikes Back.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: CristianoRonaldo7 on Jul 31, 2018, 10:39:15 PM
I was excited for Battle of Britain by Ridley Scott.

He was going to take on Britain all by himself? My God, the man's ambition is unending.  ;)

Ridley Scott, the man who would be Queen.

MudButt

MudButt

Fury is a fantastic war film. One of the best in recent years for sure.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: MudButt on Aug 01, 2018, 03:27:18 AM

Yes it was. Some really heavy stuff in that one. The two moments that really stood out to me were when Bernthal tells the grieving kid "you feel that? It's called war!" and Pitt's speech about the city on fire and all the people that still have to die before the war ends. And the horse story was insane.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 01, 2018, 03:53:18 AM
Quote from: MudButt on Aug 01, 2018, 03:27:18 AM

Yes it was. Some really heavy stuff in that one. The two moments that really stood out to me were when Bernthal tells the grieving kid "you feel that? It's called war!" and Pitt's speech about the city on fire and all the people that still have to die before the war ends. And the horse story was insane.

Shia Labouf did some outstanding work in that movie. Bernthal is always fantastic.

The Old One

The Old One

Best work Shia's ever done for sure.

Can't look at Nymphomaniac anymore after the Lars Von Trier stuff came out about treating his actresses like shit, but "art though" as it gets sweeped under the rug.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: CristianoRonaldo7 on Jul 31, 2018, 10:39:15 PMBlack Hawk Down.

Black Hawk Down is my favorite War film of all time.

Great film. No real plot, and kinda annoying how they cut out everything even remotely critical of the US military (if you've read the book, the American command structure was basically the principle reason most of their soldiers died), but it's visually spectacular. Great cast too.

Speaking of the book, it's excellent. Military non-fiction can be really dry and hard to get through; Black Hawk Down's great because the guy takes the facts and then writes it as though it's a regular novel.

Quote from: MudButt on Aug 01, 2018, 03:27:18 AMFury is a fantastic war film. One of the best in recent years for sure.

I loved that film, I just wish the end didn't go all Rambo. I've mentioned it before - the first two-thirds are so gritty and realistic, it smacks of silliness to then have the Germans all marching politely in a line towards the tank that's cutting them to pieces for ten minutes. Go around? Call in some artillery?

Still good though. Absolutely loved the scene where they're all bunked up with the German family, and then half the crew come in drunk. The tension in that was through the roof.

They filmed some of it just down the road from me. That was where they got in trouble for wearing German uniforms on Remembrance Sunday lol.

SM

SM

Black Hawk Down really portrayed some modicum of the chaos of that sort of combat (from the point of view of someone who would never be within cooee of any such situation).  More than any other war film I've scene.

Let down by portraying the Somalians as mindless animals.  And McGregor and Bana's ropey accents.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 01, 2018, 10:19:59 AMBlack Hawk Down really portrayed some modicum of the chaos of that sort of combat (from the point of view of someone who would never be within cooee of any such situation).  More than any other war film I've scene.

I used to be friends with a guy who served in Afghanistan, and he basically said the same thing - it's the most accurate portrayal of modern urban combat ever put to screen.

Prez

Prez

All great shouts in here.

Not necessarily a war film rather a film about the war but The Great Escape is all things Golden - one of the most amazing casts in any film.

Great to see so much love for Black Hawk Down. Along with Apocalypse Now it's my most rewatched war film.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Platoon is one of my favorites, the conflict between Elias and Barnes is brilliant. It shows how war is hell not just physically but psychologically as you see some of soldiers either become cowards or unhinged.

The Old One

The Old One

Nothing can surpass "Coming home in a body bag."

Lawrence Of Arabia in all seriousness takes the number one spot though, Platoon is superb as is Apocalypse Now and
Black Hawk Down.

bb-15

bb-15

"Skyscraper". Not great but still enjoyable.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed