Last TV Show You Watched

Started by Predator Queen, Mar 29, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

Author
Last TV Show You Watched (Read 490,873 times)

Eva

Eva

Sounds intriguing...

Nightmare Asylum

LOST S3E08 "Flashes Before Your Eyes"

This was one of my absolute favorites when I started watching the show last summer, and it is just as good now. What an unbelievably fantastic hour of television.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

More of Breaking Bad (season 3) last night. How Hank didn't outright get fired for the assult on Jesse still baffles me.

Married... With Children - Bundy BBQ

As Labor Day tradition ensues, I had to watch this episode. Al celebrates Labor Day with the family and backyard BBQ in which he makes his famous Bundy burgers. Peg accidently spills the ashes from the grill and sends the kids to find them in the nieghbors houses (since they are the only family home on Labor Day on the block). Steve and Marcy come over to join and the real interesting part of the episode begins. Classic Levitt/Moye writing at its pinnacle!

10/10

Nightmare Asylum

LOST Season Three

Fantastic ending to the season. All the big punches hit just as hard this time as they did when I first watched it.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Book One: Water

The Boy in the Iceberg
The Avatar Returns
The Southern Air Temple
The Warriors of Kyoshi
The King of Omashu

So far it's pretty good and I really like the characters. It hasn't reached Korra quality yet, in my opinion, but I'm sure it's getting there.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just gave the thirteen short LOST: Missing Pieces webisodes a watch (in glorious YouTube 240-480p!). These were pretty cool, actually. Some of them, like the Hurley/Frogurt one, were kind of pointless, but there were also a few that had some really great character moments and some little bits that slightly expanded some of the mythology of the show. The episodes that featured Juliet and the very last one were among the best, and the one with Jin on the golf course was just hilarious. :D

Season four up to 'The Constant.' That episode...

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I'm four episodes into season 2 of Breaking Bad (enjoying it btw) and I am so very happy to almost have all the necessary context for those GIFs you shits kept posting here a few years back.

I say almost because the bad guy from Beverly Hills Cop hasn't shown up yet.

First Blood

First Blood

I am glad you're enjoying it! Dat Cranston.

Quote from: TJ Doc on Sep 06, 2014, 04:28:09 PM

I f**king love when Steven Bauer shows up. :D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: TJ Doc on Sep 06, 2014, 04:28:09 PM

Not spoiling anything, but he got one of the best lines in season five.

First Blood

First Blood

Talk about a guy that literally looks dead behind the eyes.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Sky has every episode of Lost available for free HD download without adverts, so I've been gorging myself on the show like a tiger shark in a pool full of car number plates.

Currently up to 3/4s of the way through season 2. Thoughts:

-The show is gorgeous in HD. Spectacular views, high contrast and high saturation camerawork.

-Sound design is intelligently thought out, and combined with the music, the soundscape adds a huge amount to the show. By turns nerve-jangling and moving in a way that just wouldn't exist if the show relied on the writing alone.

-It's a totally different show when you re-watch it. Some elements (such as the Others) lose their fear-factor entirely, but there's a lot more intrigue in terms of foreshadowing, and little references to events and concepts that don't pop up until later. I'd originally thought the writers of Lost just made shit up as they went along - now I'm wondering how much they had planned in advance, because it's clearly a lot more than I'd realised.

-When you're watching it without advert breaks or disc changes, you can fly through the show, making the pace seem much more rapid than it did on the original TV broadcast. With that said, season 2 still feels fairly glacial - I think the problem is that it's lacking in motivation. Season 1 had a series of goal-focused arcs, leaving you needing to see what would happen next - this is rarely the case now. The problem is compounded by several episodes showing the same events from multiple perspectives, or not advancing the story or characters in a meaningful way.

-The use of flashbacks to explore the characters has also become unwelcome - although it's still genuinely revealing significant details about the characters (which I remember it not doing later on), by this second season it feels like we have a good enough understanding of the characters, and spending so much time to convey bite-size nuggets of backstory adds to the feeling of slowness.

Spoiler

-Really feels like they've dropped the ball on a few elements. The Others were initially conveyed in a terrifying manner - Ethan's post-unmasking interactions in the first season were all ultra-malevolent and bizarrely portrayed, the mysterious column of smoke before Aaron's abduction, the radar blip detected by the raft, the revelation that most of the tail-end survivors had been wiped out by the Others, that sight of them slipping silently barefooted through the jungle as Jin and Eko look on, and having them closely connected to the whispers in the jungle.
Really, these were people who needed to be de-humanised as much as possible. They were just as monstrous as the monster, and set you on edge. However, there's an increasing process of humanisation starting this season which stops them being scary, and it feels like something's been lost. Apologies for the punning.

-The smoke monster's big reveal happened midway through this season, and I think it should have been more spectacular. It looks pretty small in this initial scene, not nearly powerful enough to cause the devastation that tends to accompany it. I don't have a problem with the monster being a cloud of smoke - just that maybe it needed to be a bigger cloud of smoke. Can't remember if later sights of it are more impressive...

-Very dispiriting knowing how many of these characters are going to be killed off. I know Eko was written out because the actor didn't like life in Hawaii (presenting a MASSIVE loss to the show), and I think Boone's death had been planned for story reasons. Charlie's death felt natural to the story, too. But does anybody know why Shannon, Michael, Ana-Lucia, Claire and Libby were written out?
Seems like such a waste of time getting to know these people only to know it's going to be meaningless in the long run.
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Marvel's Agents of Shield

Pilot
0-8-4
The Asset
Eye Spy

I regret not giving this a proper viewing when it was first on the air. It must have been the commercials that kept getting in the way of me enjoying it, but now without interruption, its loads of fun.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: First Blood on Sep 11, 2014, 03:45:53 AM

Pilot
0-8-4
The Asset
Eye Spy

I regret not giving this a proper viewing when it was first on the air. It must have been the commercials that kept getting in the way of me enjoying it, but now without interruption, its loads of fun.

Praise the Coulson, he has seen the light! ;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'm just waiting for the Netflix release to give AoS another go.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: First Blood on Sep 11, 2014, 03:45:53 AM

Pilot
0-8-4
The Asset
Eye Spy

Don't blame commercials, blame Aspie. He was a buzzkill every time anyone in the thread tried to engage in conversation. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed