Honor?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 02, 2007, 12:41:24 AM

Author
Honor? (Read 6,285 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

This is more of a question for those of you who don't really know much about the comics or that sort of stuff, but from the first 2 movies do you guys get the impression of honor or of challenge when you think about the Predators?

Now, obviously in Predator 2 we see they can respect us but what do you guys think?

SM

SM

As I've said on the other thread I don't think it's especially honourable to set off a nuke when you lose - especially when said nuke can kill the people you wouldn't ordinarily target during a hunt.

Obviously they some sort of code - they don't just slaughter Danny Glover and they appear to avoid the targets mentioned above.  But I wouldn't call it it 'honour'.

Setting off a nuke to destroy an out-of-control Alien infestation though would be acceptable if the infestation threatened their 'game park', though not honourable as such.  More like pest control.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

I used to have the idea of honor, but thats just because it was the general opinion out there that they had it. However, after your thread about the HIsh, I deffinatly dont see it. They are hunters, and there is little 'honor' in their actions. Not being in the mind of a pred we cant really say if they leave the pregnant, or the old and sick or unarmed alone because of an honor code, or because they arent worth the hunt.

Untill you consider the self-destruct. They have been defeated, yet they will not accept it with the samurai code of honor they are often branded with and take their own life, but they destroy and kil their prey and anyone else thats within the blast radius, with no concern about the condition of the people in it.

The show respect to some degree. In P2 they let Harrigan go. This too could have just been because he was tired and injured and outnumbered, at this point they wouldnt be hunting him fo rht egame, just killing him. They let him go and left it to him to get out of the way of the fire from their ship as they took off.

To a small degree, Id say they have a sort of honor and respect, but more as a result of their practice as hunters and only wanting to hunt 'whats worth it' rather than an actual binding code they have.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh, thank God! You're negative view on everything has finally been good for me. As you'll have noticed, I'm somewhat keen on the Hish POV in the new novels and it's like fighting a one man battle on those other forums.

I never thought honor was implied in these films. I always got the thrill of the hunt vibe.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

then again I notice while watching Predator again during the faceoff, the Pred took off his shoulder cannon(even though it working properly to have a hand to hand fight) and also had a chance to kill Dutch when he was resting a bit by the stump but didn't, he extended the width of the blades to fit Arnold's neck. So I think they're looking for a challenge rather then just eradicating their opponent.  Plus I think we have yet to see a Predator going feral yet on the silver screen, so perhaps it's the Yautja we have been seeing in the movies so far.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

I always imaged the Predators as being "extraterrestrial hunters", not "extraterrestrial samurai-hunters" like in the comics. I think it's the challenge that they want, the thrill of the hunt.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Well, I think they want an opponent that will givew them a challenge as that makes the hunt so much better.

..I have a negative view on everything???

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Was talking to SM ^

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

yeah, I wasnt sure cause i didnt think I had a neg view on everything, but I didn't even see SM posted.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

^ though we have yet to read the Hish's hunting rules, look at FM they were going to kill everyone on Midnight, Man, Woman, and Child..

Fitzley

Fitzley

Just going from the movies, I would say they have "rules of the hunt," not necessarily an "honor code." I mean, they hunt only those that are armed and can fight back, but even then, its not like its a fair battle. Cloaked, with a laser cannon...

Even hand to hand with Arnie, I see that as more "you have earned my respect." But even that is not a fair battle, Arnie didn't stand a chance against the pred.

All and all, they seem to like to add an element of danger to their hunts, but still maintain an overwhelming advantage over their prey.

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

While I consider the stuff in the comics to be total nonsense, and agree with a lot of what has been said as far as hunting and maintaing sporting advantage etc.  I still see the creature as an honorable one, as a bull or lion is an honorable creature.

I see a lot of their actions to be honorable, even though they may be brutal.  Also I have a completely different take on almost everything about the preds than everyone else, and these things all fit together.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

how are a bull or lion honorable? They aren't even comparable species. A bull is a erritorial but otherwise docile anaimal, and a lion is an opportunistic hunter. Im just a little confussed as to what your trying to say.

Honor entails a whole set of standards, which the preds frankly dont seem to meet.

xenopred66

xenopred66

simple explanation for the self-destruct device............they dont want to be capture in battle so they take out anything that could leave evidence of their exsistence

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

very well could be, or it could be a last-ditch effort to win. or both.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed