Topher Grace: The erstwhile Eric Forman is all grown up.

Started by ace3g, Feb 10, 2010, 05:23:12 AM

Author
Topher Grace: The erstwhile Eric Forman is all grown up. (Read 2,092 times)

ace3g

In case you were wondering: Yes, Topher Grace is as nice as he seems. The 31-year-old actor made a name for himself playing the sweet and nerdy protagonist of the coming-of-age sitcom That '70s Show ("Oh my God, I was far nerdier," he says of comparisons of himself to that character. "I was worse!") for seven years, before chucking it all for a film career. He's appeared in well-regarded indies like P.S.  and In Good Company—and as Venom in Spider-Man 3—but the actor says he chooses roles carefully. "I spent a lot of time in my twenties working," he reflects. "It's been better moving into films because I've been able to have time off." But he still keeps busy: This year, Grace appears in the ensemble rom-com Valentine's Day, out Friday 12, and Predators, a sequel to the sci-fi classic, out this summer.

So how's it going?
Well, I just finished five months in the jungle with Robert Rodriguez [filming Predators]. I think I sprained my entire body.

Ouch.
The stunt guys will kind of look at you and go, "So, do you want to do the stunt?" And I'm like, "Well, yeah, I want it to be me." And then I will get bruised everywhere. But it's fun, because it's the craziest stuff I've ever done and it's on film, so that's the good news.

So how did you end up in Valentine's Day?
I remember going to meet with Garry [Marshall], and I said, "I want some of these Garry Marshall moments. Give 'em to me!" I wanted one of those box-slapping-on-the-finger- moments [from Pretty Woman]. He's the undisputed champ of romantic comedies.

You and Anne Hathaway have one of the funnier story lines in the film.
We both see acting as being very competitive. We wanted to beat the other story lines.

Having Anne Hathaway play a phone-sex operator will do that. Your onscreen chemistry is definitely believable.
Anne was one of my first friends in Hollywood. It's weird to have known someone for that long and have never worked with them, and it was a real treat to have the opportunity. And it's funny, because our characters are supposed to have known each other a really short amount of time. I think when you know someone that well, it translates into chemistry on the screen.

Do you relate to your character?
What I liked about Anne and my characters is that we're in a situation that I've been in before, which is you've been dating someone for like, eight days, and Valentine's Day rolls around and you just don't know where it is, even if you have strong feelings for the person. Sometimes you play a character and you don't know what they're going through.

So I have to ask, because the movie is called Valentine's Day—
I am bracing for all of the Valentine's Day questions!

You know they're coming. But have you ever done anything crazy for a significant other on V-Day?
Here's what I'll say: I'm the right demographic to watch the movie, because I watched it and enjoyed it, and nobody cares less about Valentine's Day than me. The 30-year-old male is about as far away from Valentine's Day as you can get in the human experience.

I hate it too. One of the characters in the film calls it a fake holiday—that's totally true.
I think the movie does a good job of servicing every point of view: the romantics on one end of the spectrum to the skeptics on the other end.

It is a pretty far cry from Predators.
[Laughs] I really get off on doing both. I call it having a well-balanced meal. But it was a really weird thing to go from one right into the other.

Your character in Predators is rumored to be a serial killer, which is something you haven't really done before. How do you prepare?
I like to go murder a hobo right before every role. [Laughs] No, I don't know. It has a lot to do with reading the script. The script is a blueprint for the film—there are very few bad scripts that make good movies. If you really like the character and understand the utility it serves within the movie, that's a part of my process.

Was it a challenge?
I really crave new things and new experiences, and this certainly was one of them. Predators is very bloody—it's very different!

Valentine's Day is out Fri 12.

Read more: http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/hot-seat/82659/topher-grace-hot-seat#ixzz0f6ijkpo2

Nothing new but just some words from Topher on his time on set and how he prepared for the movie

pmaz11

Yeah nothing new, but hopefully he captured the character he's been given in this film. I'm actually really curious what his character will be like.

Navaha

Topher Grace as a serial killer?

It may just because I first saw him on That 70s Show, but I cannot picture it.

Pvt. Hicks

Awwwwwe shucks good for Topher! He must be proud he has two major movies in one year at the theater.

Federick Gonsa

Federick Gonsa

Is it true that Topher grace will be like Royce's foil or some sort of secondary main character (like Dillon)? If that is the case I can see a contrast, Royce is the "Hero" but he is very mean and unlikable. Edwin is a "nice guy". Maybe they picked Topher because he is a likable guy and people will expect him to be nice through the film, and when he turns on the group, people will be surprised. Just a theory, I could be wrong.

Pvt. Hicks

Think we immediately know he is a serial killer.

Royce

Royce

I think the casting of Topher Grace as Edwin is a rather brilliant move on Antal and Rodriguez's part. Most known serial killers typically look like average people; they never seem to come off as weird or creepy or threatening in the social world. Look at serial killers like John Gacy or Ted Bundy. Both men are average looking and they had been well respected by their peers in their social worlds yet both men turned out to be completely evil and frightening. The murders they committed are still so horrible and unspeakable even after all these years.

Had Antal and Rodriguez casted someone more like a Jackie Earl Harely / Steve Buscemi type as Edwin, I think it would come off as tacky and typical. With Grace, he looks like a nice guy – your average joe. He doesn't look threatening at all – yet of the seven people being hunted by the Predators, Edwin has probably committed the most worst violent crimes of the bunch. A sadistic, twisted man this Edwin is.

And to Grace's credit, he has shown that he has wide range of talent as an actor. He can go from silly humour in That 70's Show to a serious dramatic turn in Traffic. No doubt Grace will do fine as the curious yet creepy Edwin.

FearPeteySodes

His role is one of the things i look forward to seeing most in Predators, i have faith he'll nail it.

AintGotTimeToBleed

Very underrated actor. I'm sure he'll do an awesome job.

Mystic Ninja

As long as he does not act like Eric Forman, I'm happy!

His cynical wise cracking guy act makes me wanna hurt him.

FearPeteySodes

Quote from: Voodo Magic Man on Feb 10, 2010, 10:15:37 PM
As long as he does not act like Eric Forman, I'm happy!

His cynical wise cracking guy act makes me wanna hurt him.

Actually Foreman in Predators would be fairly amusing.

dallevalle

its gonna be cool to see him i cant wait at least to be honest its alot better cast than avp and avpR ( only good cast in all the avp movies is lance)
but els this movie cast now looks promising.

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: Royce on Feb 10, 2010, 07:01:34 PM
I think the casting of Topher Grace as Edwin is a rather brilliant move on Antal and Rodriguez's part. Most known serial killers typically look like average people; they never seem to come off as weird or creepy or threatening in the social world. Look at serial killers like John Gacy or Ted Bundy. Both men are average looking and they had been well respected by their peers in their social worlds yet both men turned out to be completely evil and frightening. The murders they committed are still so horrible and unspeakable even after all these years.

Had Antal and Rodriguez casted someone more like a Jackie Earl Harely / Steve Buscemi type as Edwin, I think it would come off as tacky and typical. With Grace, he looks like a nice guy – your average joe. He doesn't look threatening at all – yet of the seven people being hunted by the Predators, Edwin has probably committed the most worst violent crimes of the bunch. A sadistic, twisted man this Edwin is.

And to Grace's credit, he has shown that he has wide range of talent as an actor. He can go from silly humour in That 70's Show to a serious dramatic turn in Traffic. No doubt Grace will do fine as the curious yet creepy Edwin.

I think it is a very inspired casting choice.

Many people have venom and hate in their heart. They just want "Predator", in every new Predator flick. I say goddamn, just give me a good movie. Work your magic, and turn in a good final product that I will like.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed