Space News & Views

Started by Nostromo, Aug 27, 2016, 03:31:59 PM

Author
Space News & Views (Read 68,088 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 29, 2018, 12:17:21 AM
That's $10,000 quadrillion.
Probably cost 11,000 quadrillion to mine though. Also you'd need to find somebody that would want to buy that much steel at that price point. It's value at the moment is zero. :P

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jun 29, 2018, 06:16:34 PM
Damn, my bad! But how the hell does did they estimate such worth?

Though that's a pretty big rock. It's so exciting just imagining the potential. If humanity is cautious and wise, we as a species have a bright future ahead of us.

We're doomed

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I imagine it's based on the current market value of iron.  However, if iron were to become so abundant, it's price would naturally plummet.

I think I'd like living in a post-scarcity world.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Humans love to build things. Discovering new resources has always pushed our progress further. Even if it's not a new type like cheap fusion energy, the shear abundance of metals/raw materiel is very exciting IMO.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 29, 2018, 10:43:17 PM

Though that's a pretty big rock. It's so exciting just imagining the potential. If humanity is cautious and wise, we as a species have a bright future ahead of us.

We're doomed

:laugh:

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jun 30, 2018, 03:22:07 PM
Humans love to build things. Discovering new resources has always pushed our progress further. Even if it's not a new type like cheap fusion energy, the shear abundance of metals/raw materiel is very exciting IMO.

You seem quite enthused.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I like seeing optimistic news and if it's news that Sci Fi ideas could maybe become a reality, without ending the world, I can't help but be excited. Just like the probability that I'll see the first human set foot on Mars in my lifetime, it puts a smile on my face.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What if the invention of FTL space travel, the development of an inexhaustible clean energy source and contact with a friendly alien species all happened within the next ten years?

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I'm a bit skeptical of that happening so soon, especially of the FTL part as physics is kinda demonstrating how unlikely and impractical that is.

Though if any one of those things happened within the next ten years, that would be a huge milestone for humanity. I'd be very grateful to live to see any of those things whatever their probability may be.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 01, 2018, 01:59:40 PM
I'm a bit skeptical of that happening so soon, especially of the FTL part as physics is kinda demonstrating how unlikely and impractical that is.

Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

QuoteA warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving faster than light. A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre; however, subsequent calculations found that such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.  Now physicists say that adjustments can be made to the proposed warp drive that would enable it to run on significantly less energy, potentially bringing the idea back from the realm of science fiction into science.

How about now?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Sweet!

Someone get Sam Neil on the line in case something goes wrong.

Immortan Jonesy

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Nice!

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 01, 2018, 05:46:25 PM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 01, 2018, 01:59:40 PM

Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

QuoteA warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving faster than light. A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre; however, subsequent calculations found that such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.  Now physicists say that adjustments can be made to the proposed warp drive that would enable it to run on significantly less energy, potentially bringing the idea back from the realm of science fiction into science.

How about now?

I've seen this, it's an old idea. Theoretically it's only possible, but the greatest problem with it is that it requires "exotic matter" which there is no evidence for at all. And there are other problems with it as well. Still, out of all the FTL ideas, this is the most probable one, though that's not going by much.

FTL is very, very unlikely unfortunately and nothing would surprise me more if it turns out it's possible and practical. I hope I get surprised though.
There are great episodes on youtube about FTL from PBS Space Time and Isaac Arthur.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's a Beautiful Baby Exoplanet! Historic Photo Is 1st View of Alien World Being Born

QuoteThis photo from the SPHERE instrument on the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope is the first clear image of a planet caught in the act of formation, around the dwarf star PDS 70. The planet is clearly visible as a bright point to the right of center, which is blacked out by the coronagraph mask used to block the blinding light of the star.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Looks like an ear.

The Old One

The Old One

Incredible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed