Some very good space related stories here if anyone's bored:

https://www.inverse.com/article/22383-new-horizons-nasa-pluto-clouds

Local Trouble

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 19, 2016, 06:47:25 PM
The Universe Has 10 Times More Galaxies Than Scientists Thought

I'm sure we're all alone though.

Over 1 Trillion Galaxies, imagine that...1 trillion x 100 billion stars on average per Galaxy, x 5-6 planets perhaps each star, x 1-10 moons, incredible....With such a huge number, I'm pretty sure a creature like Alien has spawned somewhere...we just need to find it.

If you like Galaxies, you can see the Andromeda galaxy with a decent pair of binoculars in a dark sky, as it's the nearest Galaxy to ours apart from smaller companion galaxies such as the Magellanic Clouds, and it's always directly on top of you, where it's very dark. In the countryside you can probably see it without binoculars. I've seen it in my scope, it's huge!

The sad realization is it will collide and merge with our galaxy in 5 billion years, destroying us for sure. So no matter how far Humans get in our Galaxy, they better to learn to travel to another Galaxy before this happens:) Damn, I wish I could see the sight from earth say 50,000 years before they merge...

x-M-x

x-M-x

Yea.. ALL ALONE... lol

Still tho does make you wonder what is out there... and should we explore/discover it ?

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: x-M-x on Oct 19, 2016, 07:26:55 PM

Yea.. ALL ALONE... lol

Still tho does make you wonder what is out there... and should we explore/discover it ?
We know what's out there, planets and stars.   ;)

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 19, 2016, 07:45:59 PM
Quote from: x-M-x on Oct 19, 2016, 07:26:55 PM

Yea.. ALL ALONE... lol

We know what's out there, planets and stars.   ;)

Do we?  :P

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 19, 2016, 07:14:56 PM
Over 1 Trillion Galaxies, imagine that...1 trillion x 100 billion stars on average per Galaxy, x 5-6 planets perhaps each star, x 1-10 moons, incredible....With such a huge number, I'm pretty sure a creature like Alien has spawned somewhere...we just need to find it.

And that's just the observable universe. 

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 19, 2016, 07:14:56 PM

If you like Galaxies, you can see the Andromeda galaxy with a decent pair of binoculars in a dark sky, as it's the nearest Galaxy to ours apart from smaller companion galaxies such as the Magellanic Clouds, and is usually directly on top of you, where it's very dark. In the countryside you can probably see it without binoculars. I've seen it in my scope, it's huge! There's also another

The sad realization is it will collide and merge with our galaxy in 5 billion years, destroying us for sure. So no matter how far Humans get in our Galaxy, they better to learn to travel to another Galaxy before this happens:) Damn, I wish I could see the sight from earth say 50,000 years before they merge...

I watched a documentary that said when the galaxies do collide, the chances of two stars hitting each other won't be as high as it may seem. Galactic collisions are not destructive, it's just two galaxies "absorbing" each other to become a bigger and more fertile galaxy due to the exchange of the materials needed to form new stars. It's a process called "Galactic Cannibalism", but it looks like a beautiful cosmic dance as two galaxies pork LOL!

This is why the biggest galaxy, IC-1101, is dying. Because there's no nearby galaxies to collide with it and no fresh material for the formation of new stars. It's also a sickly yellow looking galaxy rather than a bright blue or white one like ours, Andromeda or Triangulum.

Also I doubt we'd be around when this collision happens anyway. XD If we are, we'd be unrecognizable. Look at life 4 billion years ago... and look at it today. We won't be around as a species to witness this in 10 billion years, we'd either be extinct through our own destruction or due to becoming so different that we're not recognizable as humans anymore.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

How does it feel knowing that you'll never see any of these places in person?

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

It feels humbling to know how small and insignificant we are and how none of our little squabbles on our spinning wet green volcanic rock even matter to the darkness beyond.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Just think of how much we'll be able to see once Hubble's successor is in orbit and gives us an even better view of the universe.

QuoteOne particular goal involves observing some of the most distant events and objects in the Universe, such as the formation of the first galaxies. These types of targets are beyond the reach of current ground and space-based instruments. Another goal is understanding the formation of stars and planets. This will include direct imaging of exoplanets.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 20, 2016, 04:37:20 AM
Just think of how much we'll be able to see once Hubble's successor is in orbit and gives us an even better view of the universe.

I find all these developments really exciting. The wait is almost unbearable.

http://www.seeker.com/alien-megastructure-tabbys-star-seti-intelligent-civilization-dyson-sp-2064947450.html

SETI is devoting some serious time to checking out Tabby's Star. It'd be remarkable if they do detect something but I'm sure they wont.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Nostromo

For Halloween  :P

These Scary Things in Space Will Haunt Your Dreams

http://www.space.com/34546-scariest-things-in-space-photo-gallery.html?utm_source=notification

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 27, 2016, 11:10:24 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 20, 2016, 04:37:20 AM

I find all these developments really exciting. The wait is almost unbearable.

http://www.seeker.com/alien-megastructure-tabbys-star-seti-intelligent-civilization-dyson-sp-2064947450.html

SETI is devoting some serious time to checking out Tabby's Star. It'd be remarkable if they do detect something but I'm sure they wont.

What if SETI finds a derelict space ship?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed