Space News & Views

Started by Nostromo, Aug 27, 2016, 03:31:59 PM

Author
Space News & Views (Read 68,088 times)

TC

TC

The take-off leaving the launch pad looked seriously bad ass!

But then you learn why: Stage zero of the launch (before it even left the ground) is where it started to go wrong. They had decided not to build a humungous and elaborate launch pad to receive the tremendous blast of the rocket engines, so that huge and highly impressive exhaust plume you saw was the cheaper pad that they did build being pulverised into rubble and dust. Some of the disintegrating concrete chunks got blasted back up into the rocket engines, damaging a few of them before the ship even took off.

If you're interested, look up Scott Manly's YouTube channel for more details.

TC

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

How does NASA prevent the same from happening? Won't a bigger and more elaborate launch pad also have bits of concrete flying around?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think NASA uses tons of water under the pad to help break up the energy/sound waves so the pad isn't destroyed.

I'm sure Space X would already be doing that though. May need a larger more elaborate pad with an even greater water system.

TC

TC

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 22, 2023, 07:04:03 PMI think NASA uses tons of water under the pad to help break up the energy/sound waves so the pad isn't destroyed.

I'm sure Space X would already be doing that though. May need a larger more elaborate pad with an even greater water system.

If anyone's interested:

Remember when the space shuttle took off there was always that huge white exhaust cloud blossoming out from the pad? That was mostly caused by water from the deluge system being vapourised by the shuttle's rocket engines.

SpaceX decided on a dry launch based on their test of specially toughened concrete. Elon Musk also hinted that they were in a hurry to move their program along, but we know better than to take his words at face value, right?

TC

EDIT: For all the rocketry nerds I want to make the correction that the space shuttle's water deluge system was only partially responsible for the large, white launch cloud. Huge amounts of water vapour were also the result of combusting the liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen fuels in the shuttle's main engines. They even worried that the temporary micro-climate was to the detriment of all the surrounding estuaries at the Cape.

Kradan

Kradan

So is it like in Martian ?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

@426Buddy @TC , thanks for the info.

Looks like Artemis is also using the same water deluge system as the shuttle. Can see it clearly in the video below.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1592772202289430528

426Buddy

426Buddy

Wow Space X went with a dry launch?

Losing some respect on that one.

TC

TC

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 23, 2023, 04:53:17 AMSo is it like in Martian ?

Do you mean the movie The Martian? Is there a specific scene in there you're referring to?

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 23, 2023, 01:21:12 PMWow Space X went with a dry launch?

Yeah, I know. It's like Musk feels like there's some loss of face if he ever resorts to taking advantage of conventional wisdom.

TC

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: TC on Apr 23, 2023, 04:22:10 PM

Do you mean the movie The Martian? Is there a specific scene in there you're referring to?

Yes, I refer to scene where the rocket explodes shortly after the launch cause they neglected to properly test it

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The SpaceX Starship didn't actually blow up by itself. It was deliberately self-destructed after going off course to prevent it crashing in a populated area.

Kradan

Kradan

I see

SiL

SiL

Quote from: TC on Apr 23, 2023, 04:22:10 PM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 23, 2023, 01:21:12 PMWow Space X went with a dry launch?

Yeah, I know. It's like Musk feels like there's some loss of face if he ever resorts to taking advantage of conventional wisdom.

TC
He's rich enough to afford to be really dumb but still occasionally land a win.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 23, 2023, 04:36:08 PMThe SpaceX Starship didn't actually blow up by itself. It was deliberately self-destructed after going off course to prevent it crashing in a populated area.

@SiL
https://twitter.com/LiveScience/status/1650945913949417485

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 27, 2023, 05:09:56 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 23, 2023, 04:36:08 PMThe SpaceX Starship didn't actually blow up by itself. It was deliberately self-destructed after going off course to prevent it crashing in a populated area.

@SiL
https://twitter.com/LiveScience/status/1650945913949417485

Well, I suppose little bits of rocket raining down all over the place is better than a whole 5000 ton rocket full of highly explosive liquid oxygen and methane landing on top of your head...

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed