Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 301,418 times)

SiL

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 07, 2015, 09:47:14 AM
They were, though. They continued the story and effectively constituted sequels, albeit in a different form. They weren't just marketing.
They were. Dark Horse decided to continue with the comics, not Fox. They were basically allowed to do what they wanted and Verheiden thought it'd be cool to keep the plot going.

And I can't find anything saying that the comics were even a consideration when it came to A3. It's not even like they ignored them -- it's more like they were barely aware of them.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 09:50:16 AM
Dark Horse decided to continue with the comics, not Fox. They were basically allowed to do what they wanted and Verheiden thought it'd be cool to keep the plot going.
Yes, and they had the FOX stamp over them -- they were official. FOX also allowed Alien 3 and 4 to do what they wanted -- and they did. And so FOX is doing with this one.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 09:50:16 AM
And I can't find anything saying that the comics were even a consideration when it came to A3. It's not even like they ignored them -- it's more like they were barely aware of them.
Even more laziness on their part, then -- didn't even bother with researching. Even then, I doubt no-one knew about the comics, seeing as they were what kept the series alive for a good number of years.

SiL

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 07, 2015, 09:59:32 AM
Yes, and they had the FOX stamp over them -- they were official.
Official merchandise, yes. They were never hired to officially carry on the plot, however; they were given a license to tell stories they wanted to. They were no more an official continuation than the comics that accompanied the Kenner figures as far as anyone responsible for the films were ever concerned.

QuoteFOX also allowed Alien 3 and 4 to do what they wanted -- and they did.
No, they didn't. They wanted Ripley back, but they didn't let them ignore the fact she'd died. They made them follow suit.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 10:12:33 AM
Official merchandise, yes. They were never hired to officially carry on the plot, however; they were given a license to tell stories they wanted to. They were no more an official continuation than the comics that accompanied the Kenner figures as far as anyone responsible for the films were ever concerned.
Then why'd they bother with all the retconning surrounding Hicks and Newt -- changed into whatever names they were -- to follow suit?

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 10:12:33 AM
No, they didn't. They wanted Ripley back, but they didn't let them ignore the fact she'd died. They made them follow suit.
I think that was more of a concern of the scriptwriters of the fourth film more than anything coming straight as a strict imperative from Fox (seeing their mentality going on for the precedent film -- "Look, you could have somebody piss against the wall for two hours and call it Alien 3" et al).

Fox itself isn't considering Alien 3 and 4 hurdles at all right now. They were presented with the idea and they're going with it, which means they aren't considering them important -- as they didn't with the comics.

SiL

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 07, 2015, 10:33:58 AM
Then why'd they bother with all the retconning surrounding Hicks and Newt -- changed into whatever names they were -- to follow suit?
Because Dark Horse wanted to keep it in line.

And sell more copies.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Doubt copy-selling was an issue, since there were a thousand stories coming in without them even after Alien 3.

SiL

SiL

From Strange Shapes' interview with Verheiden:

QuoteSS: The series was a great success, and the way that characters like Newt and Hicks were handled was superb. However, after Alien 3 the comics were retrofitted to suit the canon of that movie. Hicks became 'Wilks', and Newt became 'Billie'. Do you feel that this recasting detracted from the series?

MV: Dark Horse felt they needed to make those changes so the books would fit into the Aliens film canon post Alien 3. It kept the books in print and I happily cashed my royalty checks, but I had absolutely nothing to do with the re-edit and as far as I'm concerned the original stories are the ones I would prefer for people to read.
https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/strange-shapes-interviews-mark-verheiden/

At the time they were releasing/re-releasing a lot of the comics as trade paperbacks and decided to take the opportunity to modify them.

(Interestingly he also notes that they weren't allowed to have Ripley in it originally for licensing issues, which says a lot about how seriously Fox considered it any sort of official continuation of the series at the time. Verheiden also mentions that comic tie-ins of movie franchises were the bastard children of the comic industry at the time.)

So as I've said from the beginning, no: that A3 ignored the comics is not the same as this movie (very potentially) ignoring A3.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 11:44:42 AM
So as I've said from the beginning, no: that A3 ignored the comics is not the same as this movie (very potentially) ignoring A3.
Seeing what FOX is doing with it, not really. They're being given the same 'relative importance' and they're getting the same treatment as of now. FOX isn't considering 3 and 4 as hurdles at all.

And yes, they wanted to fit it into canon. Tells loads.

SiL

"As of now", as in, they have decided to be lazy. They never gave half a shit about the comics. They didn't start ignoring it because they never started caring. That is not the case with A3 or Resurrection.

QuoteAnd yes, they wanted to fit it into canon. Tells loads.
Dark Horse did. Not Fox. Those are two different companies.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 11:58:12 AM
"As of now", as in, they have decided to be lazy. They never gave half a shit about the comics.
All they give a shit about is their income, really. See the Alien3 quote earlier.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 11:58:12 AM
Dark Horse did. Not Fox. Those are two different companies.
I know. I was referring to them in response to that portion of your post.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Doktor Wunderbar on Mar 07, 2015, 08:25:33 AM
In my opinion, he doesn't need to do that himself.  If he disregards those films completely, or even contradicts them, you're still free to enjoy them as their own separate continuity.

This is very true, even if their continuity is erased for a new one, the dvds are not going to magically disappear, they will always be there to watch.  ;D
Its like EU, personally I am neutral about it but some think its canon, others not but those who don't still acknowledge them and enjoy reading them.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 08:43:54 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2015, 07:32:32 AM
Well, not to put too fine a point on it but I think in this regard "film sequels" and "game sequels" can be used interchangeably
No, they can't. I specified film sequels for a reason.

Well, there is also one film sequel that took the EU canon as well, Michael Bay's Transformers.  In the novelization of TF1, Agent Simmons took Frenzy's decapitated head with him as a trophy (this isn't mentioned at all in the film), in the prequel novelization to TF2 Simmons is also depicted having locked the head in his apartment below his deli shop, and lastly in in the actual TF2 film Simmons is shown having Frenzy's head and having kept it from the events of the 1st novelization which the 1st movie made no mention of.

SiL

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 07, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
I know. I was referring to them in response to that portion of your post.
That Dark Horse wanted to do it means nothing in terms of what Fox wanted.

andrew.deacon.946

andrew.deacon.946

I don't care whether it's retcon or canon or Ripley and Hicks are back or not I'm just hoorah that we are getting another Alien film directed by someone that seems to understand the whole series

SiL

All things considered I'm not seeing where he seems to actually understand the series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed