Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,455 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I wouldn't care. Like I said, it's just a movie.

SM

SM

And movies need to make money.  If you cross a line it's going to turn people off and not want to watch your movie.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Unless it's good enough to be a cult favorite. Too bad that isnt the case here.

SM

SM

A cult favourite with a teeny budget.  Cult flicks don't often make much - if any - money.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jan 22, 2010, 03:40:18 AM
But by the same token, would you like to see a monster pick up an infant and crush it's head while it struggles and screams and it's brains and yet to be formed skull ooze through the monsters fingers?
Depends on how it's done, and to what purpose.

I find the pregnant ladies exploding in AvPR offensive because it's done in such a f**king half-assed tacky way solely for the purpose of being "hardcore".

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2010, 04:40:17 AM
But by the same token, would you like to see a monster pick up an infant and crush it's head while it struggles and screams and it's brains and yet to be formed skull ooze through the monsters fingers?

I find the pregnant ladies exploding in AvPR offensive because it's done in such a f**king half-assed tacky way solely for the purpose of being "hardcore".

Agreed. There's no artistic statement, irony, metaphor, etc to make it anything more than a poorly executed gore shot.

Quote from: SM on Jan 22, 2010, 04:38:14 AM
A cult favourite with a teeny budget.  Cult flicks don't often make much - if any - money.

True, at least not until there have been several worthwhile DVD releases over a period of time.

SM

SM

QuoteDepends on how it's done, and to what purpose.

I can't imagine any way it could be done on screen in full view without being tacky and offensive.  No matter the context.

QuoteTrue, at least not until there have been several worthwhile DVD releases over a period of time.

Even then I just looked up Blade Runner which has had 3 official theatrical runs in the US with different versions and it still only made $33mill against a $27mill budget.  No DVD data, but it's hardly going to add immensely to that total.

Undeadite

Undeadite

3 official runs? Were any of them limited release? But you're right, just trying to look at it from every angle. I would still like to see the Bladerunner DVD sales, seeing all the versions and special editions that have come out over the years. That last huge Ultimate Collectors Edition alone could have some pretty impressive dollar amounts attached to it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2010, 04:40:17 AM

That's fair. But I'll be honest, I got pretty giddy at first coz it was so damn unique.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jan 22, 2010, 04:48:44 AM
I can't imagine any way it could be done on screen in full view without being tacky and offensive.  No matter the context.
I could see it working in something like Cannibal Holocaust, to really hammer the last "Why the f**k are you watching this what's wrong with you" nail in the coffin.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 22, 2010, 05:09:30 AM
That's fair. But I'll be honest, I got pretty giddy at first coz it was so damn unique.
Depends on the size of your reference, I guess :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2010, 05:12:23 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 22, 2010, 04:48:44 AM
I could see it working in something like Cannibal Holocaust, to really hammer the last "Why the f**k are you watching this what's wrong with you" nail in the coffin.

Ugh, that film was so f**king out there. I mean, that film was just WTF. Everything in that film by and large, was done purely for shock value. The director did already admit to that.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2010, 05:12:23 AM
Depends on the size of your reference, I guess :P

Size of reference?

Undeadite

Undeadite

At least a deeper meaning can be found in Cannibal Holocaust (whether or not it was the intention of the filmmaker).

SiL

SiL

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 22, 2010, 05:14:00 AM
Ugh, that film was so f**king out there. I mean, that film was just WTF. Everything in that film by and large, was done purely for shock value. The director did already admit to that.
A failed attempt to make us question our love of violence in the news.

QuoteSize of reference?
Unique would imply it hasn't (really) been done before, but pregnant ladies have been killed in movies and tv series well before AvPR. And in better ways.

SM

SM

QuoteWere any of them limited release?

The Final Cut I think.  Don't think it got a run down here, but the original and DC both did.

QuoteI could see it working in something like Cannibal Holocaust, to really hammer the last "Why the f**k are you watching this what's wrong with you" nail in the coffin.

Isn't that purely exploitation though?

EDIT - Nevermind.  Mind you "A failed attempt to make us question our love of violence in the news" sounds like little more than an excuse rather than a theme.

Puks

Puks

I regret watching that flick to this very day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed