Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,594 times)

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

QuoteEither way - point still stands.  Both AvP and AvP:Poo do have stories.  Their quality is a matter of opinion.
Ok, that's right. I correct my former statement.
Though avp and avpr have story as well, both of them are just so poor in quality, that comparsion for me seem pointless.
So, like this.
Sorry then.

QuoteWell alright, but they're certainly a more varied bunch compared to Requiem's flesh bags.
That's just right, and at least Anderson was trying to make them act like real people. But in quality it doesn't make a difference.

echobbase79

echobbase79

I wish there was a choice for they both suck. I can't stand either of them. I used to enjoy AvP R on a fun B level, but it's crap just like the first one. Crap is crap no matter how you cut it.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: TJ Doc on Jan 21, 2010, 01:32:17 AM

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Jan 21, 2010, 01:26:30 AM
QuoteAnd a decent(ish) range of (mostly) developed characters.

I don't see why, could you explain

Well alright, but they're certainly a more varied bunch compared to Requiem's flesh bags.

Yeah, I could actually tell the different characters apart in AvP.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

I remember names and looks from both movies. But like this they could have been I don't know, bags with names. They were all insignificant (respect to some exceptions)

specter

specter

I'll give the first one the edge.

It has lance henriksen, who is the only character I can really remember from either film.

Rebel-Blood

Rebel-Blood

hard to say, they're both bad, but they were entertaining nonetheless.

UltimateBadass

UltimateBadass

Even though they are not good movies, i prefer AVP.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Alien Vs. Predator tried to use both creatures in a unique plot and not just "a casual meeting" and, at least for me, suceeded in its intent. Linking Alien and Predator via a semi-legendary story is really intriguing. The film was not a let down. It can't even reach the Alien Franchise, which is the creme of the creme, but is a really good movie nonetheless. Lots of action, references, and Aliens here are just outstanding (The soon-to-be "Gridalien" impaling the Predator is just epic!), not counting the queen.
So, I was quite satisfied after seeing it.

On the other way, Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem lacks all what made AvP a good movie. The story is somewhat reminescent of a typical Slasher film (Friday the 13th & Friends...), only with the 2 iconic monsters. Really bad photography. It's dark and you can't see very well most of the film. Some Dark movies still result to be clearer than this one (I.E. The Cave) because of better inquadratures. The suits here aren't even exciting, the Wolf Predator looks a bit like a Octopus, and the Aliens barely try to evocate the ones from Aliens with their look. Add some irrelevant characters whose nobody cares about (and corrispective expressionless actors), another thing about Slasher Films, and the mayority of the scenes put here just for the sake of Gore and gratis blood. The Boy chestbursted and the infamous Hospital Scene shown onscreen were really, really, really unnecessary.
Add the most corny ending ever imagined, and there, you have Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem, a completely meaningless movie that lacks continuity too.
And someone needs to explain me where is the Requiem claimed in the title! ???

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

The requiem word here signs the forthcoming mourning you will feel after you have watched this 'thing' called an avp movie.

keylight-di

keylight-di

@OmegaZilla! Great review. I couldn't tell it in better way.  :D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PM
Alien Vs. Predator tried to use both creatures in a unique plot and not just "a casual meeting" and, at least for me, suceeded in its intent. Linking Alien and Predator via a semi-legendary story is really intriguing. The film was not a let down.

Yes it was. It lacked action, had a weak cast, a weak script, had a monotous colour scheme, really bad direction, and over-used references to old characters and films (I'll explain more later)

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMLots of action,

Lots of action? What action? You mean the wrestling match between Grid and Celtic and the race between the Queen, Lex, and Scar? I was still having trouble staying awake.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMreferences

Which were dumb to begin with because they weren't needed and they weren't even subtle either.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMand Aliens here are just outstanding (The soon-to-be "Gridalien" impaling the Predator is just epic!)

That was such a stupid scene. Since when do Aliens have 20 foot long tails? Not to mention, the physics after it happens don't even work because there's no way Grid could extend his tail out that far, then make it twist back on itself when he brings Gill up to his face.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMThe suits here aren't even exciting, the Wolf Predator looks a bit like a Octopus

Predators have tentacles? When did this happen?

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMThe Boy chestbursted and the infamous Hospital Scene shown onscreen were really, really, really unnecessary.

I didn't mind those scenes. It showed that the Brothers were willing to push the boundaries of who dies in a movie and they succeeded, at least in principle. The scenes themselves should've been better executed.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMAdd the most corny ending ever imagined, and there, you have Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem, a completely meaningless movie that lacks continuity too.

And AvP was in sync with everything else?

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMAnd someone needs to explain me where is the Requiem claimed in the title! ???

Requiem means mass death. In case you missed all the people who died in the film.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

A ha!

*rubs hands together*

And here... we... go!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 21, 2010, 04:29:38 PM
Yes it was. It lacked action, had a weak cast, a weak script, had a monotous colour scheme, really bad direction
Describes perfectly its sequel! ;D

Lots of action? What action? You mean the wrestling match between Grid and Celtic and the race between the Queen, Lex, and Scar? I was still having trouble staying awake.
Um... yes? Those scenes alone make up for all! Also, some other scenes were pretty sweet, like when the Predator jumps and cloaks itself at the same time, or the Queen freeing herself with the help of her cute babies :D

Which were dumb to begin with because they weren't needed and they weren't even subtle either.
Well, it's a movie with Alien and Predator. I think that homages are sweet in there. Not in case, the sequel also mantains this detail, which I like. :)

That was such a stupid scene. Since when do Aliens have 20 foot long tails? Not to mention, the physics after it happens don't even work because there's no way Grid could extend his tail out that far, then make it twist back on itself when he brings Gill up to his face.
Meh, didn't really care for the extending tail. It's beyond the concept of amazing. Then again, how about extending inter-vertebrae discs? Just speculating :D

Predators have tentacles? When did this happen?
When he reveals his face at the end, and roars... the mandibles and the membrane linking them makes Wolf look more like a Octopus spreading its tentacles than a Insect-ish monster...

I didn't mind those scenes. It showed that the Brothers were willing to push the boundaries of who dies in a movie and they succeeded, at least in principle. The scenes themselves should've been better executed.
Those scenes are disgusting in the literal meaning of the term. I'm not contrary to killing kids in movies, it happens in Aliens and Alien 3, just not onscreen. It's not fun to see something like that, is it? Same for pregnant women.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 03:28:05 PMAdd the most corny ending ever imagined, and there, you have Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem, a completely meaningless movie that lacks continuity too.
And AvP was in sync with everything else?
AvPR shows so many inaccuracies, for example, couldn't they reuse the Chestbuster from AvP and not change its design?
Now, I didn't notice anything wrong with the first AvP, neither inaccuracies or contrasts with other movies' canon, apart from the obvious difference between the creature design.

Requiem means mass death. In case you missed all the people who died in the film.
Means that too? Didn't know.
They could have used something better, however.

-

As far as I can see, you have a nearly opposite opinion to mine ;D, but we all ahve different opinions, haven't we?

Ps. In a Off Topic, is that in your avatar Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes? I saw some stripes with a similar character..

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 05:03:24 PM
Those scenes are disgusting in the literal meaning of the term. I'm not contrary to killing kids in movies, it happens in Aliens and Alien 3, just not onscreen. It's not fun to see something like that, is it? Same for pregnant women.

It's just a movie. Who said kids and pregnant women can't die?

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2010, 05:03:24 PMPs. In a Off Topic, is that in your avatar Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes? I saw some stripes with a similar character..

Yup, that's him ;D

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

Well Alien vs Predator Rape wouldn't have got through the censors.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed