Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: All Elon Musk
Last post by SiL - Today at 09:17:51 PM
He'll never be as funny as when he's trying to be sincere.
Alien: Romulus / Re: Why Alien: Romulus pits th...
Last post by SiL - Today at 09:15:16 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Today at 05:24:53 PMI fear this hypnotic aspect of the alien is not really reproducible today, but I hope I'm wrong.
It would require people to stop approaching it as a monstrous beast.

Even on the first movie, everyone who wasn't Giger who tackled the adult kept making it beastly. Rombaldi's first heads were sort of broad and bulky much to Giger's dismay, who likened it to his work on Kong.

Stop with the pronounced hipbones and splayed feet and flipper hands and square jaws and other monster aesthetics and let the sleek biomechanical lines cook.
Alien: Romulus / Re: Alien Romulus Rating Predi...
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 09:09:46 PM

"Then how about this?"

For the majority the mantra will not change. It will still be "only the first two are good" because nuance only exists for people who care.

For people who rank the films? Probably something like this: Alien, Aliens, Romulus, maybe a mention of Isolation and or the Assembly Cut of Alien³ in discussions.

For myself? Probably Alien, Aliens, Alien³ and Romulus, but whereas Alien³ will probably have more style and look far better, Romulus will probably be more all round solid and or serviceable but not launch anyone into the stratosphere.

I hope I am not on the money, but I feel like I am, thus I remain more excited for Noah Hawley doing Alien... because it will undoubtedly be something new and not devoted to the prior mythology. Whether we ultimately love it or loathe it.
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 09:05:16 PM
I did not expect Musk to say that.
Last post by solace97 - Today at 09:02:08 PM
If you don't feel like participating in a numerical vote simply don't, this is merely too predict what it will come out on for sites such as IMDB rotten tomatoes and others
Alien: Romulus / Re: Alien: Romulus Catch-All T...
Last post by Slutty Badger - Today at 08:56:17 PM
It's like Danny McBride said while making Covenant - it's not just running away from a tennis ball on a stick.
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 08:52:20 PM
This is the funniest thing he has ever posted bar none.
Last post by [cancerblack] - Today at 08:51:09 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Today at 07:53:52 PMI just personally have a really hard time putting my thoughts into a fixed number with most films, and trouble really gleaming anything from a number when others use them as descriptors. Most times I much prefer to read actual reviews, or to have a back and forth discussion, and get my thoughts across or learn others' thoughts that way. I think that's why I'm partial to forums like this for discussions still, even when so much of the internet has left them behind.

One man's "6/10, meh... mid" is another man's "6/10, fascinating messy experience."

All subjective metrics have the same issue, but people are going to use them anyway. There always being somebody going "akshually..." kinda does my head in at this stage.

Culturally I'm almost certain that the push away from numerical ratings has really been about not applying them to people, more than it was ever about applying them to experiences, but that it's all blurred together.

Note: Because I freely admit all subjective metrics suffer from the same problem, I fully agree that critique and discussion are superior in all ways because thoughts can be articulated unambiguously.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed