[1/6 Hot Toys] Are domestic versions different from export versions?

Started by Scopedog, Dec 27, 2008, 12:09:25 AM

Author
[1/6 Hot Toys] Are domestic versions different from export versions? (Read 878 times)

Scopedog

Hi, AvPGalaxy,

Looking through HobbyLink Japan, I noticed that the retail price of 1/6 HT Predators in Japan is typically about $50 higher than what you would pay from Big Bad Toy Store or Sideshow Collectibles.

I know these toys originate in Hong Kong and I've heard that the domestic/Asia market versions of 1/6 Hot Toys Predators, Aliens, etc is different and/or better than the export market versions.  I was told that the reason that BBTS and Sideshow can sell them at a lower retail price is because their supply is from a batch that is mass-produced more quickly and in higher numbers at the expense of cutting corners on paint applications and quality control.  This was told to me by the owner of Heroes Club (a big retailer of 1/6 dolls) in San Francisco, CA.

If there is a difference, then which one does Japan get?  If it's a higher quality Asia market version, that would explain the price difference.

I own 3 Predators and I feel that the quality is top notch on all of my examples.  My Wolf Predator came from BBTS and my Scar and City Hunter came from eBay sellers living in the USA.  I'm really curious about whether I'm somehow missing out on something even better.

Thanks for any input!

ridetofight

ridetofight

i don't believe them "being higher quality". the first pictures we get of the actual manufactured piece is always from hong kong or somewhere in the east. these initial pictures are spot-on with what i've always ended up receiving. moreover, a lot of the pictures that first go up are from ebay sellers in thailand who piece things out and take very detailed pictures of the parts - none of which i have ever seen a different paint app on. unless no one has ever sold one of these "better" versions on ebay, i don't think theres any way this statement could be true. and if they did exist, thai sellers would be dumb to not offer them en masse, since they would command much higher prices.

FACEBOX

They are all the same. Save your money.
The only differences you might encounter are exclusives, which are also available across the pond.  ;)

Scopedog

ArielAleXCo

well... maybe you are asking about "ancient predator" and "ancient predator asia edition", witch are actually a little different... noticing it more in the helmet more than any other thing. There are diferent version.

Also, importing exporiting create taxes... and those taxes are paid by the client (the clients would be us)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed