Started by Thatguy2068, Apr 04, 2024, 12:19:30 AM

How do you feel about sexual themes in Alien franchise

I would like it no matter what
Depends on how it done
No Opinion
Prefer it be not in the movie
I would despise it
Author
How do you feel about sexual themes in Alien franchise (Read 2,072 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 04, 2024, 11:47:43 PMThe Engineers sending out a coded message embedded with plans/blueprints that result in a bioweapon a la Sil is something that feels incredibly reasonable, in a headcanon/fan fiction sort of way, while watching Species.

That's why I wasn't so opposed to the idea of the "Woman in the Dark" in the firsr arc of the Marvel comics (provided it stays a comic concept, that is), though the comic not doing anything interesting/of note with it (which was on par for the quality of the comic on the whole) deterred me from keeping up with it long term.

That comic concept is interesting 8)

Perhaps it is the source of the Black Goo, or an Engineer-Alien hybrid DNA sequence made with black goo...which like a swarm of black scarabacks-like nano-machines dematerialized a living hybrid at a molecular level to create a DNA based on that life-form.

There is always sexual parasitism as part of the life cycle.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 04, 2024, 11:59:57 PMPerhaps it is the source of the Black Goo, or an Engineer-Alien hybrid DNA sequence made with black goo...which like a swarm of black scarabacks-like nano-machines dematerialized a living hybrid at a molecular level to create a DNA based on that life-form.

Back when Prometheus came out, I inferred that the Black Goo was an attampt by the Engineers at creating a controlled bioweapon substance derived from the Aliens themselves (which the Engineers were unable to control/wield, as they ended up being wiped out by it anyways at their installation on LV-223).

Come Covenant's release, I flip-flopped that mentality; now I felt, based on Ridley's words and the film's presentation of the idea, that the Goo came first and was itself the ancient eldritch horror, and that in turn it was the foundational material used by David in making his Aliens.

Though I don't take EU stuff as strict canon, Alex White's novels expanded on the Alien/Goo relationship in ways that I found really fascinating, and made them intrinsically part of the same whole even with the Alien in its "pure" form.

And now, Noah Hawley seems to be inverting things back to where I felt they they stood in Prometheus, with the Alien being ancient and having been created (or originated in some more natural fashion) some undiscernable amount of time ago, and the Engineers' stockpiles of Goo having been derived from them.

But what really came first, the chicken Alien or the egg Goo? The whole thing just feels like this incredibly cyclical string of creation and destruction and feigned control repeating itself over and over again throughout history (not so much unlike the back and forth between Earth and Kepler-22b that seemed to be at the core of Raised By Wolves' cyclical presentation of ancient history and the way that fed into the "contemporary" events repeating/recreating what once was).

As it stands, regardless of which came first, the Alien or the Goo, the core root of the entity in one form or another is ancient and unknowable, and David, like the AI  of today's world, can generate forms according to some sort of a prompt – and believes himself to be a creator, a God, as a result – but he is working within a system that is preordained to reach an inevitable end result that stems from much earlier point in pre-history.

SM

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Apr 04, 2024, 11:00:38 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2024, 10:46:15 PMIt wasn't meant to be female.

Just "erohtic".

I got the impression that it was due to the lips

Look female in terms of the lips yes, but not a literal female Alien.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 05, 2024, 12:15:10 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 04, 2024, 11:59:57 PMPerhaps it is the source of the Black Goo, or an Engineer-Alien hybrid DNA sequence made with black goo...which like a swarm of black scarabacks-like nano-machines dematerialized a living hybrid at a molecular level to create a DNA based on that life-form.

Back when Prometheus came out, I inferred that the Black Goo was an attampt by the Engineers at creating a controlled bioweapon substance derived from the Aliens themselves (which the Engineers were unable to control/wield, as they ended up being wiped out by it anyways at their installation on LV-223).

Come Covenant's release, I flip-flopped that mentality; now I felt, based on Ridley's words and the film's presentation of the idea, that the Goo came first and was itself the ancient eldritch horror, and that in turn it was the foundational material used by David in making his Aliens.

Though I don't take EU stuff as strict canon, Alex White's novels expanded on the Alien/Goo relationship in ways that I found really fascinating, and made them intrinsically part of the same whole even with the Alien in its "pure" form.

And now, Noah Hawley seems to be inverting things back to where I felt they they stood in Prometheus, with the Alien being ancient and having been created (or originated in some more natural fashion) some undiscernable amount of time ago, and the Engineers' stockpiles of Goo having been derived from them.

But what really came first, the chicken Alien or the egg Goo? The whole thing just feels like this incredibly cyclical string of creation and destruction and feigned control repeating itself over and over again throughout history (not so much unlike the back and forth between Earth and Kepler-22b that seemed to be at the core of Raised By Wolves' cyclical presentation of ancient history and the way that fed into the "contemporary" events repeating/recreating what once was).

As it stands, regardless of which came first, the Alien or the Goo, the core root of the entity in one form or another is ancient and unknowable, and David, like the AI  of today's world, can generate forms according to some sort of a prompt – and believes himself to be a creator, a God, as a result – but he is working within a system that is preordained to reach an inevitable end result that stems from much earlier point in pre-history.

The Alien could be ancient, like the Raised By Wolves serpents, as part of an eon-long ancient cycle of death & resurrection of a primordial terror.

"Alien went to where the Old Ones lived, to their very world of origin" ~ Dan O'Bannon

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

We know that medical experiments with the pathogen are being carried out on the Romulus space station.

The Black Goo can be like the quantum particles of the Alien. An eldritch AI, which can sometimes take a sentient form.

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

It is the purest form of the Alien, and in a way the origin of the Space Jockey; like a Black Goo-Engineer hybrid.

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

The Xenomorph lifecycle is very sexual. And no wonder, Giger was obessed with Egyptian Mythology and it is full of sexuality, Horace literally has a ahem battle with his brother.

Giger even knew Alister Crowley who founded his own Egyptian Occult Sect.

So I say its in the mud of making the vessel that is the Alien franchise and it belongs there.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:20:41 AMThe Xenomorph lifecycle is very sexual. And no wonder, Giger was obessed with Egyptian Mythology and it is full of sexuality, Horace literally has a ahem battle with his brother.

Giger even knew Alister Crowley who founded his own Egyptian Occult Sect.

So I say its in mud of making vessel that is the Alien franchise and it belongs there.

Quote from: Alien ExplorationsThe figure stretching around the edge of the tableau is inspired by depictions of the Egyptian sky goddess Nut, who often has Geb the god of the earth and fertility lying below, sometimes with his male member erect which so happens to be placed where it looks almost as if it inspired Giger with his depiction of the chest bursting from the victim image. Geb was also a god who imprisoned the dead in his body. The goddess is also often depicted being supported by the god Shu who raised the goddess into the heavens, but is replaced in Giger's painting by support bars instead.

E. Shaw

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 05, 2024, 03:11:15 AM

The Alien could be ancient, like the Raised By Wolves serpents, as part of an eon-long ancient cycle of death & resurrection of a primordial terror.

"Alien went to where the Old Ones lived, to their very world of origin" ~ Dan O'Bannon

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

We know that medical experiments with the pathogen are being carried out on the Romulus space station.

The Black Goo can be like the quantum particles of the Alien. An eldritch AI, which can sometimes take a sentient form.

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

It is the purest form of the Alien, and in a way the origin of the Space Jockey; like a Black Goo-Engineer hybrid.

~ *** ~

~ *** ~

Ouroboros!

Indeed a life and death cycle/circle. A mysterium of horror and violence, but it is still life. Life is violent, something Alien accentuates. 

SiL

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:20:41 AMThe Xenomorph lifecycle is very sexual. And no wonder, Giger was obessed with Egyptian Mythology and it is full of sexuality,
Giger had nothing to do with the life-cycle, though. That was Ronald Shusett's contribution.

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2024, 03:47:57 AM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:20:41 AMThe Xenomorph lifecycle is very sexual. And no wonder, Giger was obessed with Egyptian Mythology and it is full of sexuality,
Giger had nothing to do with the life-cycle, though. That was Ronald Shusett's contribution.

The life-cycle is in most mythologies, not exactly the prize of any one culture or person.

SiL

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:49:42 AMThe life-cycle is in most mythologies, not exactly the prize of any one culture or person.
No, Ronald Shusett was pretty much the one guy who said to O'Bannon that the thing should rape one of the crew members in order to get aboard the ship, as they were trying to avoid the usual cliches.

E. Shaw

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 04, 2024, 11:59:57 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 04, 2024, 11:47:43 PMThe Engineers sending out a coded message embedded with plans/blueprints that result in a bioweapon a la Sil is something that feels incredibly reasonable, in a headcanon/fan fiction sort of way, while watching Species.

That's why I wasn't so opposed to the idea of the "Woman in the Dark" in the firsr arc of the Marvel comics (provided it stays a comic concept, that is), though the comic not doing anything interesting/of note with it (which was on par for the quality of the comic on the whole) deterred me from keeping up with it long term.

That comic concept is interesting 8)

Perhaps it is the source of the Black Goo, or an Engineer-Alien hybrid DNA sequence made with black goo...which like a swarm of black scarabacks-like nano-machines dematerialized a living hybrid at a molecular level to create a DNA based on that life-form.

There is always sexual parasitism as part of the life cycle.

The Dark Woman I hope ends up making an appearance in the Alien Series. :)

SM

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:35:23 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 05, 2024, 03:11:15 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 04, 2024, 11:59:57 PM
~ *** ~

~ *** ~

Ouroboros!

Indeed a life and death cycle/circle. A mysterium of horror and violence, but it is still life. Life is violent, something Alien accentuates. 

I can't not watch this without hearing a BOOOOIIIING sound effect.

Corporal Hicks

This is also my headcanon. I love the older stuff about the Engineers/Space Jockeys being obsessed with reproduction because they can no longer, so they weaponize in the way of the Aliens or Sil.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2024, 08:14:54 AM

This is also my headcanon. I love the older stuff about the Engineers/Space Jockeys being obsessed with reproduction because they can no longer, so they weaponize in the way of the Aliens or Sil.

Before I saw Prometheus, I thought The Engineers were a final stage of Xenomorph life cycle, smart enough to build ships and civilization, but like you concluded they cannot breed anymore and need the parasitic stages to reproduce.
I thought their controls being eggs would play into their culture of coming from an egg and facehugger.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed