Prometheus 2 set for March 4th 2016

Started by Gazz, Mar 24, 2014, 10:33:49 PM

Author
Prometheus 2 set for March 4th 2016 (Read 111,441 times)

SM

SM

David wasn't reckless.  He was there to do a job for Weyland.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 01, 2014, 04:22:25 AM
The thing is, it wasn't an act of stupidity - on behalf of a supposed expert - in isolation. There were a lot of things being done by all of them, which, taken all in one go, kept hitting the audience over the head with how recklessly nonsensical these individuals are. David 8 touching everything in sight, Shaw's other half removing his helmet and contaminating the site, Fifield not having a f**king clue about the status of his own mapping system, etcetera... All of it happens within a relatively short space of time of one another.

It wouldn't have mattered as much if they were just random people, but they're meant to be such leaders in their field (and Milburn, specifically, is meant to have much experience with living organisms and all the scientific protocols of handling them, thereof), that they've been individually head-hunted to go on a potentially one-way trillion-dollar mission of the utmost importance.

Ultimately, we're left with the basic impression that they're all so idiotic that maybe they don't deserve to survive and lose any would-be sympathy for them. The very connection you don't want the audience to lose when it's something as tense as the horror genre.

Alien holds its place in time because it's the horror movie without the horror cliches.

Prometheus bathes in them, right down to the "oh noes mysterious biblically improbable series of mechanical failures at the worst opportunity, oh noes supposed badasses doing inexplicably nonsensical things at the worst time." (though i would except David from that for rather apparent end-game reasons)

World's most expensive SyFy movie.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xhan on Apr 01, 2014, 06:58:54 AM
Alien holds its place in time because it's the horror movie without the horror cliches.
Except for all the ones it does have.

ChrisPachi

And the ones that it invented.

DoomRulz

If Prommy 2 has another falling spaceship, I hope we have characters who are smart enough to run off to the side instead of into the shadow of the falling craft.

Alien³

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 01, 2014, 12:44:54 PM
If Prommy 2 has another falling spaceship, I hope we have characters who are smart enough to run off to the side instead of into the shadow of the falling craft.

I always figured they couldn't run to the side because of all the falling debris.

DoomRulz

I'd take my chances with dodging debris versus being crushed by a spaceship.

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 01, 2014, 12:50:43 PMI'd take my chances with dodging debris versus being crushed by a spaceship.
Seconded.

Alien³

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 01, 2014, 12:50:43 PM
I'd take my chances with dodging debris versus being crushed by a spaceship.

I would too but I think their logic was stay in the shadow of the ship just long enough for most of the large debris to fall then get out of the way. Obviously that all goes to pot.

DoomRulz

Considering Shaw had enough sense to do it, I can only assume Vickers was a blooming idiot.

meshuggah

meshuggah

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 01, 2014, 12:44:54 PM

Shaw and Vickers did dash to the left and out of the shadow of the Juggernaut - http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/dominicd_imdb/media/Prometheus_AC_CrashRun_zps359bae41.mp4.html#sthash.cc6s4OLA.dpuf

Even if they didn't, the extreme panic induced by flight or flight does amazing things to your decision making skills. As for the dubious actions of the 'Scientists', well, I don't think it would follow that any respectable, credible Scientist would sign up to a years long journey into space without knowing why, it was a corporate funded farce spear headed by a superstitious megalomaniac... Plus I would think the only way to keep such a mission secret would be to hire people that no one would notice were gone thus if you hired all the best Scientific minds in their field the world would want to know why. Both Fifield and Milburn mock each other as far as their credibility is concerned, "Is that your professional opinion, huh? Mr. Biology? "I'm ashamed to count you among us, Fifield.", thus it's obvious they weren't the very best at all. Not even Janek had any idea when it came to the holograph mapping display, "I just fly the ship.", the whole thing was set up for disaster.

If you think about all the well funded pseudo-scientific organizations today I liked how the so-called Scientists were betrayed, it works thematically, because if you have some trillionaire nut who funds two Von-Daniken loving pseudo-scientists (one of which has to be schooled on what a 'thesis' is) on the premise of some cave scribbles, you're going to have a bad time. Period. Thus I would automatically assume that who ever would be involved in such an endeavor would be fools from the get go and their outrageous behavior is exactly what I would expect. And they all payed the price.

"...there's no part of David that wants to be a real boy. He is not enamored by humanity or jealous by our ability to experience emotions. He's basically thinking, "You're morons." - Lindelof

Alien³

People do stupid shit when their scared. ::)

Spoiler
Tthhhhaaaaattt'sss Prometheus!
[close]

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

I find it odd that not only do some of us have difficulty in accepting that the plot of Prometheus, Alien and Aliens specifically, revolves around people doing incredibly silly things and making stupid decisions (as if space truckers would agree to explore hostile environments to investigate potential alien life forms... why did Burke think his ridiculous idea would work? What military mission would involve leaving the military ship unmanned? Etc), but people are also forgetting that the Prometheus was on a bogus mission. Why employ the best scientists on the face of the Earth when the plan was for David to initiate contact with the 'Gods'? It wasn't a mission to record new life forms or rock formations... It had a singular purpose and that was to enable Weyland to procure a longer life span courtesy of his maker.

Of course this doesn't mean one has to like the film, or believe it to be clever... but I think the more pertinant question would be why can such things be forgiven in other films, but not in Prometheus?

Alien³

Exactly.

Prometheus is a fine movie! Just needs a special edition edit to clean up some of the weaker points of the movie.

Kimarhi

Its still a pretty stupid movie.  Why have scientist at all if you are only going to contact the engineers for longer life?  David by his lonesome and Weyland could've done the same thing.

Why even give the engineer a chance to wake up in HIS setting either in enviroments he controls?  Take that mofo back to earth and negotiate from there when he's by himself.  Its silly either way you look at it.

Space Truckers had motivation to do what the company told them to because otherwise that long ass trip they just made away from their family would be useless because they would forfeit their pay. 

I think its pretty safe to assume that the Sulaco had some sort of defensive IFF since its 150 years in the future and our own ships will turn a fighter jet to mincemeat if it approaches without the right identifier from ship to air defenses.

And Burkes plan is so stupid it works perfectly initially.  He sends people out to confirm Ripley's story and low and behold Ripley's story was true.  He f**ked up on the second half of his plan when he tried to infect the survivors.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed