The Cinemacon Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2018, 03:37:39 PM

Author
The Cinemacon Thread (Read 76,798 times)

Highland

Highland

Lets get real here for a second. Jurassic Park is a series that's entirely based on manipulating DNA. The fact that they come up with a hybrid isn't outside of the movie limits, its well within it since most of the original Dinosaurs are made up of other genetic codes.

The whole series is about manipulation of dead creatures. Even the normal Dinosaurs are hybrids of sorts.

QuoteStill waiting for you to connect "new Predators" with "ignoring the lore of the old ones"

I didn't, I said we will have to wait and see. I think Predators was actually a decent movie, but replace the Predators with normal ones....it's the same movie. It might have actually been better.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Xerxész on Apr 29, 2018, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: Master
Spoiler
Bulletproof? Upgrade took plasma caster bolts on bare skin and was unfazed.
[close]
Yeah, and in the end
Spoiler
McKenna shoots a single human weapon bullet in the Upgrade's head and then his skin is not an armor.
[close]
What a contradiction in the script.

To be fair it's not exactly like that
Spoiler
he shoots him in the eye. But i agree there is some weird stuff too, Mc Kenna's sniper shots make the upgrade stumble a bit, even though he is already wounded from the ship crashing earlier, thus making him maybe weaker. But it's WTF that multiple plasma shots didn't do him any damage, even though being probably 100 times more powerful than a human sniper rifle.
[close]

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Highland on Apr 29, 2018, 02:45:52 PM
Lets get real here for a second. Jurassic Park is a series that's entirely based on manipulating DNA. The fact that they come up with a hybrid isn't outside of the movie limits, its well within it since most of the original Dinosaurs are made up of other genetic codes.

The whole series is about manipulation of dead creatures. Even the normal Dinosaurs are hybrids of sorts.

Yep, I was saying this in the Jurassic series thread, they were all hybrids. Wu even has to lampshade this in the fourth film for people didn't peg it in the first film.

I didn't, I said we will have to wait and see. I think Predators was actually a decent movie, but replace the Predators with normal ones....it's the same movie. It might have actually been better.

Predators was a decent movie but it did rehash the first film a lot but yeah, the super predators weren't really super, just a rival clan or bad blood. They were just slightly technologically superior due to constantly upgrading their tech.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Highland I get you there, after all it was frog DNA that made everything possible , but it was the way it was done in jurassic world , it didn't interconnect at any meaningful level and felt like a gimmick, my main reason for not liking the jurassic World Series is they feel like monster movies , and not something plausible the way the originals were. Jurassic park 1, 2 and 3 all tried to stay in line with what the general scientific consensus of what a dinosaur looked like at that period of time , and tried it's best to make them realistic, even the third one started putting feathers on the raptors , because in the real world we now know that's the case. Jurassic world didn't stick to that , and reduces them to Hollywood monsters imo. Not to mention the cgi was terrible in jurassic world compared to the originals, because the originals didn't really use cgi that much it was mostly puppetry, and that's what makes them special and it shows.

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: BigDaddyJohnTo be fair it's not exactly like that
Spoiler
he shoots him in the eye. But i agree there is some weird stuff too, Mc Kenna's sniper shots make the upgrade stumble a bit, even though he is already wounded from the ship crashing earlier, thus making him maybe weaker.
[close]
Really, I was wrong. :)

Spoiler
I wonder I can't find any new Predator weapons... Even that 2 friendly Predator use human weapons when confronting the hybrids...but why? It's bullshit. Where are their weapons?
[close]

Master

Master

Quote from: Xerxész on Apr 29, 2018, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: Master
Spoiler
Bulletproof? Upgrade took plasma caster bolts on bare skin and was unfazed.
[close]
Yeah, and in the end
Spoiler
McKenna shoots a single human weapon bullet in the Upgrade's head and then his skin is not an armor.
[close]
What a contradiction in the script.

Anyway, some other questions about the script:
1. Is this an early script? I ask becasue
Spoiler
it has Dutch's cameo in the end.
[close]
2. The script mentions
Spoiler
Hybrids...it wasn't clear for me that the "hybrids" were referenced to the "4-legged creatures", or the Predator hybrid dogs, or the other non-classic Predators?
[close]
3. How many
Spoiler
Predators are in actually? 1 classic who is been captured in the beginning, 2 classic friendly who help the humans, th big boss known as the Upgrade...and there are more hybrid Predators?
[close]

1. What BiggDaddyJohny said.
Spoiler
Upgrade Super Monster Hybrid Predator has whole lot of various hybrid creatures that he releases upon loonies.
[close]
Spoiler
4. In the draft I read Renegade predator also had human DNA in his blood.
[close]

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

QuoteStill waiting for you to connect "new Predators" with "ignoring the lore of the old ones"

The books where about to what degree you could control nature, and the use of parts of unchecked DNA made them able to change sex when needed, there was not a single dinofrog in frame. Them being hybrids has never been the point and Wu only pointed this out in the fourth film to excuse the writers to make it into a generic monster film.

Another theme was Hammond wanting to make something real or at least as real as possible only to end up with fake control over his creation, lightly brushing themes of god having little to say in his creation or humans as being gods not being able to control what they make. Still fake, but a good impression at best.

I referenced Jurassic World to point out that reinteprentations rarely make for better concepts.

Highland

Highland

For me it kinda still does step on the lore. For hundreds of years the predators have been coming to earth to hunt man, so it's been established that this ritual is quite old.

Predator 2 is almost a perfect example of how you expand the story ( even if you didn't rate the movie). It's the same, but not the same.

Honestly I'd rather have had the female predator than the steroid predator....., But they might be cool, I'll have to take a look.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

P2 is a perfect in that regard and easily could have been expanded upon without resorting to DNA-upgrades and other weird shit.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Xerxész on Apr 29, 2018, 03:13:41 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohnTo be fair it's not exactly like that
Spoiler
he shoots him in the eye. But i agree there is some weird stuff too, Mc Kenna's sniper shots make the upgrade stumble a bit, even though he is already wounded from the ship crashing earlier, thus making him maybe weaker.
[close]
Really, I was wrong. :)

Spoiler
I wonder I can't find any new Predator weapons... Even that 2 friendly Predator use human weapons when confronting the hybrids...but why? It's bullshit. Where are their weapons?
[close]

Spoiler
The upgrade has a wrist mounted ion cannon on one arm, and a thing that fires double pronged arrows on the other arm, so those two are new at least. The two friend preds have some sort of grappling hook mounted on their wrist also. Regarding the captured pred, indeed there is no mention of new weapons for him as of right now, but it's totally possible they'll grant him new toys in the final movie, at least i hope  ;D

And for how many preds are in this movie, the scripts counts 3 regular preds, 1 upgrade, 2 predator dogs/hybrids + 8 other hybrids that are in cryo tubes in the upgrade ship.
[close]

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

The predators upgraded themselves by turning themselves into dogs? That's a downgrade if anything.

SiL

SiL

Someone said they didn't think Black would ignore the rules of the regular Predator's since he worked on the original. You said "Well who knows, since he's adding in super Predators". Clearly you thought that adding new Predators somehow meant it was possible he would ignore established rules from a film he personally worked on.

As for the script questions:

Spoiler
The one floating around is old and not the shooting script.
[close]

Master

Master

Yet the synopsis fits perfectly with this old script.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Master on Apr 29, 2018, 08:54:04 PM
Yet the synopsis fits perfectly with this old script.

Doesn't seem like much as changed.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "overhaul" that was done was more cosmetic (like removing jokes, switching scenes around, that sort of thing). 

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Apr 29, 2018, 08:47:52 PM
The predators upgraded themselves by turning themselves into dogs? That's a downgrade if anything.

Spoiler
I think the dogs are similar to the ones that we saw in Predators.  Tools for hunting rather than an improvement of themselves.
[close]

Quote from: Highland on Apr 29, 2018, 03:47:31 PM
For me it kinda still does step on the lore. For hundreds of years the predators have been coming to earth to hunt man, so it's been established that this ritual is quite old.

Predator 2 is almost a perfect example of how you expand the story ( even if you didn't rate the movie). It's the same, but not the same.

Honestly I'd rather have had the female predator than the steroid predator....., But they might be cool, I'll have to take a look.

I'm with you there... I don't really mind the upgrade, but there's so much material from the established lore that could be expanded on.  Aside from what's already been established, seeing a female (granted if there are any or if there's physical difference between the two) would have been neat. 

Lefty

Lefty

First time commenting here, I may sign up but I just wanted to throw it out there. I never read the leaked script but isn't it possible, or even likely, that the gene modified predators are just a specific group that do such things? Maybe they will suggest that all predators do this and it's the entire point of their hunting, I really hope not, but isn't it possible that the classic / original hunters and lore will still be left as it was? It does feel like Predators 2010 all over again and I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I'd be much more comfortable with that than to learn the entire purpose of every predator ever is to collect and manipulate DNA.

The 2010 super predators have been mentioned in here already, this could be the film's attempt to loosely tie into them and suggest those guys were in fact some of the many genetic modified versions, not even necessarily from the same group as this film but some that practice the same thing. Again not saying it's the right move, but I wouldn't have much of an issue with this concept if our classic hunters are at least still a thing, and this could at least explain why exactly we saw such different, weird and screwed up looking Predators in 2010 (Mr Black's face is my main example).

I can understand that the goal of this movie is to appeal to a wider audience. They want a big bad enemy, something that will give the other predators a reason to team up with humans and make it more of a "vs" movie it seems. I want a classic brutal Predator film as much as anyone else but I'll remain cautiously open minded until I see it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed