The Abyss (finally) getting the 4K treatment

Started by Prez, Mar 07, 2019, 05:44:37 AM

Author
The Abyss (finally) getting the 4K treatment (Read 4,221 times)

nanison

I was completely immersed into this film first time I saw it, the descend into the abyss was a highlight, it was both tense and intense emotionally. It feels like these kind of suspenseful epic mystery adventures don't exist anymore in this day and age.

T Dog

Man I hope this release turns out good. I only ever had a DVD copy which displays as a tiny picture on my modern tv.

Stitch

I'm going to have to import this. Shame that Cameron has decided that waxy AI is the future of old movies.

Wweyland

Did Ed Harris do any behind-the-scenes for this or did he just walk away, never to talk to Cameron again?

T Dog

Quote from: Stitch on Jan 03, 2024, 12:17:23 PMI'm going to have to import this. Shame that Cameron has decided that waxy AI is the future of old movies.

How do you know it turned out waxy? Are you reviews out?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: T Dog on Jan 03, 2024, 01:48:55 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Jan 03, 2024, 12:17:23 PMI'm going to have to import this. Shame that Cameron has decided that waxy AI is the future of old movies.

Digital 4K releases are out (and Titanic's physical). General rule of thumb/ranking so far seem to be that Titanic's restoration is great, The Abyss' restoration is good (I will say it looked very good on the big screen), Aliens' restoration is pretty heavily DNRd, and True Lies' restoration is pretty much unwatchably DNRd.

Stitch

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 03, 2024, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: T Dog on Jan 03, 2024, 01:48:55 PM

Digital 4K releases are out (and Titanic's physical). General rule of thumb/ranking so far seem to be that Titanic's restoration is great, The Abyss' restoration is good (I will say it looked very good on the big screen), Aliens' restoration is pretty heavily DNRd, and True Lies' restoration is pretty much unwatchably DNRd.
Yep, pretty much this. Been following various threads on the Blu-ray forums and lots of screen caps have been shown. I am disappoint.

But also, I saw Aliens in the cinema not long ago, and it looked fine, which means there's a good 4K master out there, but they decided to slather it in DNR anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed