The Abyss (finally) getting the 4K treatment

Started by Prez, Mar 07, 2019, 05:44:37 AM

Author
The Abyss (finally) getting the 4K treatment (Read 4,218 times)

Voodoo Magic

Analysts predict it will all be digital at some point. No tangible discs. Apparently that's how it's trending.  :'(

Naissus

Quote from: irn on Mar 09, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 09, 2019, 04:55:07 PM
welp it might be time for me to finally get a 4k TV and player.

Wait until it's released in 8K in a few years.  :)

Ill just wait for VR extended edition. 

irn

Quote from: Naissus on Mar 09, 2019, 08:38:37 PM
Quote from: irn on Mar 09, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 09, 2019, 04:55:07 PM
welp it might be time for me to finally get a 4k TV and player.

Wait until it's released in 8K in a few years.  :)

Ill just wait for VR extended edition.

I'd hold off for VR 16K if I were you.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 09, 2019, 07:17:23 PM
Analysts predict it will all be digital at some point. No tangible discs. Apparently that's how it's trending.  :'(
They can pry my movie collection from my cold, dead hands. >:(

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's time to divest.

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 15, 2019, 04:19:29 AM

At $25 a pop for new releases, and $15 for movies that have been out for years, I don't see physical media going anywhere. Not to mention there are still tons of movie watchers who do not have access to internet capable of decent streaming or large downloads. Cutting discs out of the market would be a big nail in a small coffin.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 15, 2019, 06:00:33 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 15, 2019, 04:19:29 AM

At $25 a pop for new releases, and $15 for movies that have been out for years, I don't see physical media going anywhere. Not to mention there are still tons of movie watchers who do not have access to internet capable of decent streaming or large downloads. Cutting discs out of the market would be a big nail in a small coffin.

Naw brother. When the leading OEM of blu-ray players, that's the biggest blu-ray player manufacturer, Samsung, announces they're not only discontinuing their 4k players, but discontinuing their blu-ray players now too? The death of physical home media is coming, unfortunately. (For gaming too, with announcements like the disc-less Xbox.)

"Looking at the home entertainment market as a whole, it is clear that the future of video distribution for home use is digital. While consumer spending on streaming subscriptions and electronic sell-through continued to increase in 2018, all physical formats, both sell-through and rental, suffered double-digit declines. Digital distribution models now account for three quarters of total home entertainment spending and surpassed box office earnings for the second consecutive year in 2018. "

https://www.statista.com/chart/7654/home-entertainment-spending-in-the-us/

First Blood

I'll always be a physical media owner. They can go spit.

Local Trouble

Do you have an entire bookshelf dedicated to your video library?

426Buddy

Yeah I will always prefer physical media but i'm sure it will all go digital before too long. Younger generations don't have that same attachement to physical media and digital is very convenient if you have a good internet connection.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 15, 2019, 04:18:08 PM
Yeah I will always prefer physical media but i'm sure it will all go digital before too long. Younger generations don't have that same attachement to physical media and digital is very convenient if you have a good internet connection.

I'm very attached to my books and DVDs. I wouldn't get rid of them. Ever.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 24, 2016, 07:37:26 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 23, 2016, 10:00:56 PM
I'm so used to reading books on a Kindle and comic books on my PC that an actual hardcover book feels strange to me.

That makes me a little sad. I dread the day that happens to me.

I made Hicks sad.

First Blood

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 15, 2019, 04:13:38 PM
Do you have an entire bookshelf dedicated to your video library?

Uh, hah yes. Well over 700 blu-rays.  :D :'(

Local Trouble

What about DVD, LD and VHS?

First Blood

Retired those. Exclusively Blu-rays these days. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed