Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 321,953 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I watched this again for the second time last night. I've already reviewed it on another forum, so I'm just gonna copy that over to here. Apologies if it repeats points already made but these are my thoughts:

I was massively disappointed by this in the cinema and was hoping to enjoy it a lot more second time around, but if anything I enjoyed it even less.

It's one of those infuriating movies where it feels like so much effort was put into the look of the thing, almost none was left for the script and characters. There are so many stupid moments that exist just to facilitate events, or confusing plot twists that seem to be included just so they could say they had some. For example, why are expert scientists brazenly petting unknown alien lifeforms that clearly aren't in the best of moods? And just what exactly did revealing Vickers was Weyland's daughter add to the film? Most of all, why are Vickers and Shaw running away from a towering object about to fall on them, when they could run off to the side and escape its path completely? So many moments just leave you thinking, "Why?!" and it totally undermines a film that clearly thinks so highly of itself.

What's more, unlike the Alien films, all of which had at least some interesting/entertaining characters, virtually every single individual in Prometheus is painfully bland. The only real exceptions are the characters who are elevated not by the script they're reading from, but by the fact that the person playing them either has serious natural charisma (Idris Elba as Janek) or hits their performance out of the park (Michael Fassbender as David). Everyone else was either a non-entity or trying painfully hard to make us remember/care about them. Fifield was especially bad as 'angry man'. Practically every line of dialogue he had was cringe-worthy to listen to.

Such a disappointment.

esz

esz

First I hated Prometheus for being so god damn stupid: characters act randomly and do stupid shit just because the screenwriter needed that to advance the plot. After reading Spaihts's script I saw what he intended to do and I started to appreciate the movie more - but only because I knew what it could have been. But now I think Prometheus's biggest flaw is that it's so dull.

I'd watch the first four Alien movies anytime and have a good time. I've seen them more than 50 times and I still find something new in them: a detail in the set decoration that I missed before or a line of dialogue I wasn't really paying attention to earlier, but now I came to appreciate. In Prometheus, there's nothing. This movie is empty, boring, it has almost no pacing, and I couldn't care less about the characters. I'd bear with the stupidity of the script if the movie was fun or engaging in any way, but it's just... meh. I don't care. It's just moving pictures, no substance to it at all.

2/10 - such a high score only because there's Fassbender and the movie looks kind of nice (although too clean and artificial, the exact opposite of the rest of the series).

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

I find it funny that when it comes to polls Prometheus gets mostly positive but when you ask someone they say the hate it.

saintssinphony

saintssinphony

I rewatched Prometheus this weekend and I did enjoy it.

When I left the theatre telling friends I was ok but deep down I felt angry.  This is to me the best film in the franchise from a visual and cinematography stand point.  Make up was awesome too.  Creatures look great too.

I hated the editing and stupid writing and the music.  I so wish Trent Reznor would have wrote original music or they got someone who wrote some weird sci-fi dark music.  The music was too bright and dare I say Star Trek like which is fine but not in this film. 

Anyhow, I got the Blu Ray and watched it dozens of times and found that when I watched with no hype train buzz goingin my veins I took in the movie a total different way.  I still dont like the elements I listed but they arent such a deal breaker.  Now Im reading Prometheus fire n stone so Im digging Prometheus even more these days.  Now Im glad Prometheus was made because tbere is an awesome world to discover now and with alien getting sort of stale to me Im looking forward to more Prometheus related stories.  Just keep damon lindenhoff away from now on.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Was able to watch it last night on a decent size 55 inch HD screen bluray. Turned on the Bose system, this movie has some serious bass and I must say it's a pretty bizarre film that brings up a lot of interesting questions that leaves room for two other movies.

I understand some of the flaws in Prometheus, but I also see a lot of mastery from how the movie was shot and the atmosphere alone I felt towered over it's flaws to where in the end it's a very impressive Alien-ish movie. 

Watched the 2nd disc with the endless footage of how Prometheus was made and I honesty really appreciate how the movie honors Giger's work and seeing it all come together. Very complicated movie they were all trying to make.

I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what I rated it last time but I'll just give it a solid 8/10.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Holy crow. You came out of hiding.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I watched this last night for the first time since late 2012 or so.

Damn, it's dumber than a bag of hammers.You can spot a lot of awkward cuts and even some dodgy ADR at one point. Characters are barely consistent. I thought that the Fifield/Milburn thing might get salvaged somehow (maybe I missed something) but nope, it makes no sense that they'd get lost. Milburn even reads out his co-ordinates for Janek. Speaking of Milburn, his accent changes from scene to scene (when introduced he has a Souhtern drawl, and again in one line of dialogue inside the ampule room.) If the script really wanted to get these two characters in there overnight, why not have them aligned wtih Weyland? Split the crew ideologically or something. Well, Weyland's presence was hashed in there late in the scripting phase, and it shows. I swear every time Kate Dickie has a line they shot one take and used it. Why doesn't Vickers run for her lifeboat when Janek tells her he will eject it for her? She wastes time running off to some other pod. How does the Engineer cross from the crashed Juggernaut to Vickers' pod if he can't breathe the planet's air?

Astounding to look at, but I'd really forgotten (or hadn't quite realised) the scope of its stupidity in the scripting department.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yup. And despite all that, I think the film's biggest sin is the Prometheus crew just forgetting about Shaw while she goes off to remove her "baby." Oh, Shaw escaped while we were trying to sedate her and went to perform a C-Section in Weyland's med-pod, exposing the ship to a potentially lethal alien organism? Perfect time to wake Weyland up and let her join us on the expedition!

I like the film--elements of the film. There are moments when I love it, even. But it is a real mess most of the time, and I still find it very hard to agree with the choice of the Engineer/human connection.

Still, I want to see the sequel. I'm genuinely curious about what the next step--especially if it moves further away from Alien--could be. Even if it does wind up being another gorgeous mess of a film.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 22, 2015, 03:27:40 PM
I watched this last night for the first time since late 2012 or so.

Damn, it's dumber than a bag of hammers.You can spot a lot of awkward cuts and even some dodgy ADR at one point. Characters are barely consistent. I thought that the Fifield/Milburn thing might get salvaged somehow (maybe I missed something) but nope, it makes no sense that they'd get lost. Milburn even reads out his co-ordinates for Janek. Speaking of Milburn, his accent changes from scene to scene (when introduced he has a Souhtern drawl, and again in one line of dialogue inside the ampule room.) If the script really wanted to get these two characters in there overnight, why not have them aligned wtih Weyland? Split the crew ideologically or something. Well, Weyland's presence was hashed in there late in the scripting phase, and it shows. I swear every time Kate Dickie has a line they shot one take and used it. Why doesn't Vickers run for her lifeboat when Janek tells her he will eject it for her? She wastes time running off to some other pod. How does the Engineer cross from the crashed Juggernaut to Vickers' pod if he can't breathe the planet's air?

Astounding to look at, but I'd really forgotten (or hadn't quite realised) the scope of its stupidity in the scripting department.

I agree on almost everything, but the landing of the lifeboat was quite violent (in fact the ship ended up crashing against a rocky mound, which destroyed one of the engines). That being said, Vickers has made a wise decision.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 22, 2015, 03:46:05 PM
Yup. And despite all that, I think the film's biggest sin is the Prometheus crew just forgetting about Shaw while she goes off to remove her "baby." Oh, Shaw escaped while we were trying to sedate her and went to perform a C-Section in Weyland's med-pod, exposing the ship to a potentially lethal alien organism? Perfect time to wake Weyland up and let her join us on the expedition!

That was so bizarre. I'd hoped that on a rewatch I would be able to forgive it, having maybe missed something on a prior watch, but nope. She clocks two crewmembers (we see that Kate Dickie isn't knocked unconscious) and is left to her own devices. Nobody checks on the medpod. She doesn't even tell anyone. She tries to warn Weyland about the dangers - well, why not say 'check out the medpod'?

I also found that David's 'poisoning' of Holloway makes sense in one respect (Weyland asks him to try some extremes) but it never actually figures into Weyland's plans or anything. Shaw even mentions Holloway's death and there's no insight from Weyland. David's experiment informs nothing. I get that the discovery of the living Engineer might have altered some plans, but the Holloway/mutagen thing was pretty monumental. It's like two different films were squeezed together.

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Feb 22, 2015, 04:00:50 PM
I agree on almost everything, but the landing of the lifeboat was quite violent (in fact the ship ended up crashing against a rocky mound, which destroyed one of the engines). That being said, Vickers has made a wise decision.

Taking the small pod placed her right in the line of the falling Juggernaut. I get the feeling the screenwriter wanted to put her in harm's way and had her act stupid to get it done. Janek explicitly says he'll eject her shuttle for her, and that she can survive on it. Instead she runs off to a pod, planning to be ejected and then run to her ship, which was yet to be ejected when she went for the pod  :-\

If they wanted Vickers dead, they should have sent her to her ship. Then the Trilobite could have done something.

Man, what a movie.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Would have been nice to see the Trilobite be the end of her rather than just her running in a straight line, but I guess at that point it world have had to facehug her, leaving it without anything to do to the final Engineer. Maybe they could have gotten around that by having the Trilobite only half-size and unable to facehug just yet? :-\

Valaquen

Valaquen

They could have just had the Trilobite f**king flatten her  :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

And if she somehow gets the idea to move to the side, a tentacle can flatten her! Genius!

SiL

SiL

How does the Engineer cross from the crashed Juggernaut to Vickers' pod if he can't breathe the planet's air?
Who said the Engineer can't?

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: SiL on Feb 23, 2015, 06:49:38 AM
How does the Engineer cross from the crashed Juggernaut to Vickers' pod if he can't breathe the planet's air?
Who said the Engineer can't?

That must be one of the most dumb, stupid, silly and idiotic movies of all time. Visually is wonderful (save for the creatures designs that are lame) but the acting, the plot, the music (oh man how much I hate the main theme ) and specially the fact that is somehow related to Alien, makes me want to cry.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed