Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 839,430 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 31, 2019, 03:48:58 PMThought the only lost footage was a longer scene of what happened to the old crew.
At first I thought it would've been sweet to see in an extended cut but in hindsight I think less is more.

I agree with the less is more appraisal as far as the gore scenes go - they were famously trimmed a lot, but I've never really thought they needed to be more graphic than they are in the theatrical cut. But supposedly a lot of other stuff was taken out too, including more development for the supporting cast that reveals their big fears. Anderson's always said the original rough cut was too long and needed trimming, but he's also adamant in their rush to meet the release date they cut it down too much and it would've benefited from having some of the stuff put back in. Guess we'll never know :(

P-Rock

P-Rock

The negatives are lost and decayed, but Paul WS Anderson still has the 2-hour cut on VHS.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2019, 08:27:24 AM
Easily Anderson's best movie. It's a shame his AVP wasn't more in line with this.

Unfortunately AVP was after Soldier. That movie's failure is why he went independent and cheap.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Soldier is awesome and a sidequel to Blade Runner. It's even more fun when you realize that those supersoldiers are actually replicants!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

And it has Sean Pertwee being the less mainstream Sean Bean and dying like he always does.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Soldier is... OK.

It feels like it's not half as good as it could be and the opening few minutes are by far the best part of the entire movie.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah Soldier I wasn't very thrilled with. Nor Event Horizon to be honest. I was quite surprised with the amount of love it gets here. Maybe one day I'll give it another watch. It's been a couple of decades since I've seen it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Event Horizon manages to rate with me despite my general disinterest in horror.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2019, 06:04:04 PM

I agree with the less is more appraisal as far as the gore scenes go - they were famously trimmed a lot, but I've never really thought they needed to be more graphic than they are in the theatrical cut. But supposedly a lot of other stuff was taken out too, including more development for the supporting cast that reveals their big fears. Anderson's always said the original rough cut was too long and needed trimming, but he's also adamant in their rush to meet the release date they cut it down too much and it would've benefited from having some of the stuff put back in. Guess we'll never know :(

Didn't know that. In the end, I'm still quite happy with the result.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2019, 08:14:55 PM

I sorta like horror because it's a genre that still manages to surprise me more often than other genres.
Even seen Bad Milo?  ;D

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 31, 2019, 07:25:15 PM
And it has Sean Pertwee being the less mainstream Sean Bean and dying like he always does.

Pertwee did survive I.D. (1995) but probably because his part wasn't big enough.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2019, 08:14:55 PM

I've never watched Event Horizon.  Soldier is a pretty solid action flick.

P-Rock

P-Rock

If you like/love Event Horizon, be sure to watch Pandorum too.

And if you don't mind reading subtitles there's this great German sci-fi movie from 2009 called Cargo.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I've seen both. They honestly didn't really grab me, despite my wanting to like them.

The thing is, other than the original Alien, horror movies don't scare me, and I find that 99% of the time if you're not being scared there's not a lot of point to the movie.

Event Horizon doesn't scare me. But I like it because it feels unique, has a wonderful design aesthetic, and features great performances from two actors I really like.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Most horror movies don't scare me. They are too often simply jump scares galore. All I can hope for is a few horror movies that geniunely creep me out. A couple recent ones I can think of is The Babadook and Sinster that accomplished this, but real good ones that get to me are usually few and far between.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2019, 09:13:59 PMThe thing is, other than the original Alien, horror movies don't scare me, and I find that 99% of the time if you're not being scared there's not a lot of point to the movie.

I watch horror to be entertained, humoured or intrigued.
The scare factor is long gone. I think once you get to a certain age, movies aren't scary anymore unless they happen to involve a personal phobia. Even then it's more icky or uncomfortable than scary.
And I'm not counting jump scares

What do you think about movies like Feast, Re-Animator, Piranha 3(D), Deathgasm,...?

Huggs

Huggs

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (2/5)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed