Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 839,355 times)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

I'm a comic book fan first when it comes to these movies, movie fan second.  I don't care that people hate MoS and BvS, I love them, if you don't, awesome.  But when it comes to Marvel movies (which I love too) it would seem that any dissenting opinion is quickly shot down, or dismissed.  Flaws are quickly glossed over in the MCU, or ignored completely because of the Marvel logo, which is wrong.  I wouldn't do the same with DC, I didn't like Suicide Squad at all, or Justice League, they were bad movies IMO.

That being said, you should definitely go and see Endgame, I'm going to watch it again once the crowds have dissipated.  I hope my future viewings give me a better opinion.  Honestly, it is one of the most bizarre movie going experiences, one minute I'm almost jumping out of my seat because what I'm watching is so mind breakingly awesome, the next I'm resisting the urge to throw my drink at the screen because the choice made with a character is ridiculous.  When it works, it really works, I'm just hoping that on further viewings the negatives will become a little clearer

The Old One

The Old One

For me, the book doesn't matter, the context of the original work is entirely irrelevant.
The adaptation is it's own entity and lives or dies on it's merits alone.
Same goes for any adaptation.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 26, 2019, 04:09:45 PM
That explains a lot honestly,
and I kinda thought you were one of those kind of fans. But didn't want to come across like a dickhead for assuming it.

For me, the book doesn't matter, the context of the original work is entirely irrelevant.
The adaptation is it's own entity and lives or dies on it's merits alone.
Same goes for any adaptation.

I apologize for my original reply, the opinion comment wasn't fair.  It isn't always a straight up adaptation of the comics, it's the treatment of the characters that bothers me more than an adaptation of the stories.  I understand why people don't like MoS and BvS, especially Snyder's portrayal of Superman and Batman, I loved it, it worked, especially as a huge fan of Supes and Bats, but if you don't like it, that's fine.  We completely disagree on Ragnarok, I loathed the way Thor and Hulk were treated in that movie, but I get why people dig the movie.  For example my brother is constantly butting heads with me over that movie, he loves it, I don't.  I really hope people who see the movie enjoy it, I hope I enjoy it more on the next viewing.  Believe me, there are moments that are perfect, I won't spoil anything, but when they happen, you'll remember me saying this now. 

The Old One

The Old One

Apology accepted.

I loved the idea of the type of Superman MoS created, but regardless- I believe the script failed on it's own merits,
under it's own rules.

For instance; the Batman that kills in
Batman Returns is my favourite version of the character for crying out loud, but it works because it's consistent
in it's portrayal.
(And because honestly, a Batman
who isn't mega-rich,
a technological genius and
a unstoppable martial artist
all at once is more interesting.
Returns' Batman is primarily
a broken man, and a detective.)

MoS fails for me because it isn't, one example being demolishing Metropolis
but struggling to kill Zod. It's narrative dissonance.

Huggs

Huggs

Inferno 1/5

Captain America: Civil War 2/5

Godzilla 2000 2/5

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 26, 2019, 04:21:10 PM
I loved the attempt at the type of Superman MoS created, but even then- I believe the script failed on it's own merits, under it's own rules.

Hell, the Batman that kills in Batman Returns is my favourite version of the character for crying out loud, but it works because it's consistent in it's portrayal. (And because honestly, a Batman who isn't mega-rich, a technological genius and unstoppable martial artist is more interesting. Returns Batman is primarily a detective.)
MoS fails for me because it isn't, one example being demolishing Metropolis but struggling to kill Zod. It's narrative dissonance.

That's a fair criticism, but my retort would be Superman doesn't intentionally mean to destroy a chunk of Metropolis, in fact Zod is responsible for most of it.  He is taking on a being of similar power, who has better combat training, and who doesn't care what destruction he causes along the way.  The fact that the destruction plays into the story of BvS shows the weight of what happened.  Kal's struggle to kill Zod is perfect because he doesn't want to kill him with his bare hands, but he has no choice, not only killing his enemy, but the only other surviving Kryptonian to his knowledge.  It worked perfectly for me as a fan.  But I get why people don't like it, we've been so used to the Christopher Reeve Superman that it is hard to let go (Reeve is still THE Superman BTW) 

As for Batman killing, it worked for me because it was a Batman broken by twenty years of fighting, and very little change, not to mention the weight of Jason Todd's death, BvS takes so many cues from The Dark Knight Returns, my favourite Batman story, I loved every second of it, but I get why others might not

The Old One

The Old One

I've never even watched one
Christopher Reeves Superman film.
But also I believe Zack Snyder's colour palette and direction is obnoxious and ugly.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I loved MoS.  Liked BvS Ultimate Cut enough despite the flaws.  JL was utterly meh.

Huggs

Huggs

Reign of Fire 3/5

Always loved this film.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation
WTF was this? its over the top and where did that plane come from?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 27, 2019, 12:15:20 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation
WTF was this? its over the top and where did that plane come from?

My guess is the aliens behind the family were done with Vilmer's shit. :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Avengers End Game 6/10

As an avid lover of all the previous Russo MCU films... ♡Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War♡... this one hurt. And not in a good way.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 27, 2019, 01:29:32 PM
Avengers End Game 6/10

As an avid lover of all the previous Russo MCU films... ♡Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War♡... this one hurt. And not in a good way.

At least Richard Reed didn't die  :D

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 27, 2019, 02:50:45 PM
Avengers End Game 6/10

https://media0.giphy.com/media/gxsgweuzgxve8/giphy.gif

Ha. No Richard Reed is alive and well.  :laugh:

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 27, 2019, 03:03:43 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 27, 2019, 02:50:45 PM
Avengers End Game 6/10

https://media0.giphy.com/media/gxsgweuzgxve8/giphy.gif

Ha. No Richard Reed is alive and well.  :laugh:

Thank the Gods!  Same can't be said for the movie.  I was so let down watching it

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed