Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 839,482 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Dream Scenario

Very conflicted about this one. Cage is fantastic, the premise is great, and parts of it are really, really damn good. But the overall point just feels a bit difficult to grasp for me.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Love and Mercy

This was really good.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Boy and the Heron

I was very much enjoying this, then the goofy "bad guy" characters showed up in the back half and the tone veered a little too far into the wacky for me.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

The Champ

The Iron Giant

Green Mile

Why on earth have I done this to myself tonight?!!!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 10, 2023, 12:42:25 AMSalò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

Do you have a shit eating grin on your face now?

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 10, 2023, 12:42:25 AMSalò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 18, 2023, 02:08:15 AMAre you saying what I think you're saying?

Prez

Prez

About a 3rd of the way through The Creator - Had to pause as it was late and Liverpool were playing. Will finish later tonight.

Initial impressions: It's beautiful to look at... story so far is interesting enough.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Prez on Dec 10, 2023, 03:54:30 AMAbout a 3rd of the way through The Creator - Had to pause as it was late and Liverpool were playing. Will finish later tonight.

Initial impressions: It's beautiful to look at... story so far is interesting enough.

About 2/3rds into it. This is like Apocalypse Now vibes with robots.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Heat

"Killed walkin' ya doggie!"

For once Mann only makes minute changes for his director's definitive edition, to the point you wonder why he bothered.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 11, 2023, 05:18:13 AMHeat

For once Mann only makes minute changes for his director's definitive edition, to the point you wonder why he bothered.
Yeah, the things he tweaked in that were bizarrely minor.

On the subject of Mann altering his movies, just yesterday I picked up a couple of new Blu-rays featuring his director's cuts, namely Miami Vice, the DC of which never previously got a release here in the UK, plus Arrow's edition of Blackhat, which includes the reworked director's cut for the first time anywhere outside of the one-off screening where it premiered; while it's a long way from his best movie, I'm looking forward to digging into that one.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 11, 2023, 08:44:47 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 11, 2023, 05:18:13 AMHeat

Yeah, the things he tweaked in that were bizarrely minor.

On the subject of Mann altering his movies, just yesterday I picked up a couple of new Blu-rays featuring his director's cuts, namely Miami Vice, the DC of which never previously got a release here in the UK, plus Arrow's edition of Blackhat, which includes the reworked director's cut for the first time anywhere outside of the one-off screening where it premiered; while it's a long way from his best movie, I'm looking forward to digging into that one.

I need to revisit Miami Vice. First time I saw it I was so expecting peak 80s Crockett/Tubbs vibes and was very underwhelmed. We got a far more focused, dirty and stylised update and one perhaps I unfairly judged at the time. I've been meaning to watch it again to give it a proper assessment (and not be so biased by the TV show).

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on Dec 11, 2023, 09:02:43 AMI need to revisit Miami Vice. First time I saw it I was so expecting peak 80s Crockett/Tubbs vibes and was very underwhelmed. We got a far more focused, dirty and stylised update and one perhaps I unfairly judged at the time. I've been meaning to watch it again to give it a proper assessment (and not be so biased by the TV show).
You should. I love the show, and like you I really didn't rate the film the first time I saw it. But I gave it another go on TV years later and found I enjoyed it a lot, and now I seem to like it more every time I watch it.

I definitely prefer the director's cut. It doesn't alter a huge amount but interestingly it adds a few more overt references to the show.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I didn't even finish Miami Vice the first time I watched it.  :laugh: Haven't seen Blackhat at all.

I do know there's a ridiculous number of Manhunter cuts, one of which only exists because Anchor Bay f**ked up the DVD special edition.  :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 11, 2023, 02:56:29 PMI do know there's a ridiculous number of Manhunter cuts, one of which only exists because Anchor Bay f**ked up the DVD special edition.  :laugh:
Yep. At least four different cuts of that that I'm aware of - the original theatrical, the director's cut (with a bunch of additions seemingly sourced from VHS!), the Anchor Bay DVD version and a fourth one that I've only ever seen talked about which includes an extra scene with Dr. Chilton.

Second place goes to The Last of the Mohicans with three cuts - theatrical, director's cut and the recent definitive edition, which mostly reverts the changes from the previous director's cut.

Thief, Heat, Ali, Miami Vice and now Blackhat all have an alternative cut apiece with varying degrees of alteration.

To say he's a perfectionist would apparently be an understatement :laugh:

EDIT: Actually I just remembered Blackhat also technically has three cuts because the US theatrical release included some dialogue that was edited out of the international version. Ffs :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed