Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 400,820 times)

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 15, 2012, 07:05:28 PM
Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 15, 2012, 12:26:58 PM
For the record, I've had many woman tell me to smile, call me babe, darl, sweety, sunshine and a long list of other things less savory. Never once did it cross my mind it was some subconscious effort to degrade my social status to that of a child in a grand feminine plot to overthrow global male dominance. Here I was just thinking they were being nice. I'll never look at the little old lady up the street the same way, must be a sleeper agent.
Yawn. Completely missing the point and misrepresenting the context. I'll let this significantly less "bitter" woman break it down for you:
http://whatgives.blogs.gainesville.com/10043/should-men-call-women-honey/

I understand the context perfectly. You don't like it when men (who aren't your partner) use terms of endearment that they wouldn't use for other males. In your mind, it's his way of holding your sex back.

So how about the use of generic terms?

"How's your day buddy? Did you catch the game mate? Cheers dude. You got something on your face pal."

I know plenty of females that would take offense to these sorts of labels as they are disrespectful and they feel they're not "one of the boys" and shouldn't be treated as such.

The problem often doesn't lie with the intent, but rather the interpretation. If you think all men subconsciously use these words to oppress you then you clearly have a lot to learn about men sunshine  ;)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 16, 2012, 04:09:48 AM
So how about the use of generic terms?

"How's your day buddy? Did you catch the game mate? Cheers dude. You got something on your face pal."
Those are nothing like what I was citing ::) For one, they're not demeaning, and the only "gender specific" one is dude, which would only be mildly annoying to be called in the same way you'd be annoyed if someone called you "girl." Puh-leez.

I know plenty of females that would take offense to these sorts of labels as they are disrespectful and they feel they're not "one of the boys" and shouldn't be treated as such.
Good for them. Frankly, I've never known any woman who objects to being labeled as a friend by way of generic terminology like "mate" or "pal." 

The problem often doesn't lie with the intent, but rather the interpretation. If you think all men subconsciously use these words to oppress you then you clearly have a lot to learn about men sunshine  ;)
Right. So the use of demeaning pet names by men usually reserved otherwise only for children is in no way a means of establishing authority in a conversation. Gotcha. ::) Sorta like how when a white man calls a black man a "boy," he's just being friendly and the black guy should take no offense.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Because you specifically find them demeaning, doesn't make it so. I'm sure for every person you can find that would take offense, you'd find one that couldn't care less. If you're encountering people that use the terms freely without a second thought, chances are they've said them many many times previously without foul or harm, otherwise they'd second guess their words.

I was at a wedding on the weekend and some of the middle aged Italian woman said, "pass me the wine bello". I'd never met her before yet she used the term so naturally like we had known each other for years.

I get what you're saying but just because something is gender specific doesn't make it demeaning. If they called your sugartits or something like that I would totally agree with you, but something like honey has been used by men and woman interchangeably for a long time without a hidden agenda.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 16, 2012, 05:33:42 AM
I get what you're saying but just because something is gender specific doesn't make it demeaning. If they called your sugartits or something like that I would totally agree with you, but something like honey has been used by men and woman interchangeably for a long time without a hidden agenda.
If you "got" what I was saying, you wouldn't be trying to refute and dismiss it. I never said it was an agenda--it's something widespread and taken for granted--the same way young people now use "gay" as an adjective to describe things they think are stupid. Just because it's widespread doesn't mean it's any less hurtful or degrading. And as I said, women don't use "honey" in any specific context--they use it for men, children, each other, baby animals, whatever. Men explicitly use "honey", "sweetheart" etc for only women and children. It's sexist and outdated and insulting to have it used on a grown adult woman who you don't have a close relationship with. End of story. If you fail to see why so many women take offense to that kind of terminology, and why it is inappropriate, then we have nothing else to discuss.

Ghostface

Ghostface

You'd think men would be the ones offended considering they're the only one's omitted from use. Discrimination I say!

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 16, 2012, 05:54:30 AM
You'd think men would be the ones offended considering they're the only one's omitted from use. Discrimination I say!
Start calling yourselves honey and sweetie too, and there wouldn't be a problem. You all made the rules, not us.

Also, your ignorance is blatant when you sarcastically cry "discrimination"--makes you sound like a Rush Limbaugh caller who gets upset when a white radio talkshow host gets censured for saying the n-word, and responds with "But black people say it all the time! Discrimination I say!" ::)

Ghostface

Ghostface

There are no 'rules' to be made up. Also, your ignorance is blatant when you liken calling a woman "honey" and a black person "nigga". Completely different kettles of fish sweety.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 16, 2012, 06:15:19 AM
There are no 'rules' to be made up. Also, your ignorance is blatant when you liken calling a woman "honey" and a black person "nigga". Completely different kettles of fish sweety.
I wasn't, I was likening your response to another response to a similar situation. But nice job misrepresenting what I said. Also, nice job reiniforcing my original point by being a patronizing, condescending jerk and referring to me as "sunshine" and "sweety" just to get a rise. ::)

Space Sweeper

MOMMY, DADDY, PLEASE STOP FIGHTING!

Crazy Rich

People, calm the f**k down.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 16, 2012, 06:18:38 AM
Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 16, 2012, 06:15:19 AM
I wasn't, I was likening your response to another response to a similar situation. But nice job misrepresenting what I said. Also, nice job reiniforcing my original point by being a patronizing, condescending jerk and referring to me as "sunshine" and "sweety" just to get a rise. ::)

Awww shucks. Didn't think you'd notice  :)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 16, 2012, 06:21:39 AM
Awww shucks. Didn't think you'd notice  :)
Nah. Obvious trolling is obvious. I couldn't help but take the bait eventually.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Them damn human responses. They'll get you every time.

Bat Chain Puller

I can't tell which one of you bite the other first.

Spoiler
Go to your corners!  :laugh:
[close]

Space Sweeper

I'm going to eat all the f**king cookies in the cupboard while you guys argue.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed