James Cameron on Ridley Scott's Alien 1979's ending.

Started by The Old One, May 28, 2018, 09:16:50 AM

Author
James Cameron on Ridley Scott's Alien 1979's ending. (Read 10,105 times)

The Old One

The Old One

whiterabbit

The software apocalypse has already started. Also, James Cameron is most definitely not a women.

Wweyland

So what's the difference with this scene?

She has a different color tank-top and the camera is a bit farther away. Otherwise exactly the same costume.

Whiskeybrewer

^^^ That scene immediately came to mind when i read his comments

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Wweyland on May 28, 2018, 11:16:05 AM
So what's the difference with this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZYknBB_UVY
She has a different color tank-top and the camera is a bit farther away. Otherwise exactly the same costume.

That's people getting out of bed, y'know, like the opening of Alien. He says he didn't like the strip at the film's end because it focused on her, was obviously titilating, and was kind of retrograde given the other leaps the character made (I doubt we would have seen Dallas lingering around in his tighty-whiteys if he'd been the lead.) His point can be disagreeable (I never minded the strip and definitely never saw Ripley as sexy) but it's not difficult to grasp.

Saying that, he says far more interesting stuff about AI in the interview than he does that strip-down scene, which he barely talks about, It's like the author wanted a controversial title.

SiL

SiL

Spelunking for clicks.

SM

SM

News.com.au??  Never!!

People commented on Ripley getting her gear off at the time.  I think the Mad parody took the piss out of it.

426Buddy

I think the intention was to make her vulnerable and to make the audience feel the same.

Besides she is getting ready for hypersleep. I would have expected any of the crew to do the same.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Valaquen on May 28, 2018, 11:33:56 AM

Saying that, he says far more interesting stuff about AI in the interview than he does that strip-down scene, which he barely talks about, It's like the author wanted a controversial title.

I don't think he says anything interesting about A.I that hasn't been said before between, Blade Runner, Black Mirror, Terminator and Alien.

I find it more noteworthy and disappointing that he continues to poke at others' work, in this case someone's who's directly far surpassed him, instead of actually doing something other than peddling Avatar.

Shaun

I've never looked at Ripley in that way. I think it stems from watching the movie from like 5 onwards, that the thought of her being attractive never crossed my mind.

I've always, from childhood and right through into my adult hood viewed that scene as her relaxing. After her ordeal, it was her getting comfortable. She'd been in those clothes, as far as I know, since they initally woke from hypersleep and given the stress she'd been in and exposure to things such as sweat, Ash's milky blood etc those clothes would have been fairly smelly.

If it was a male role, I would expect the same kind of behavior.

SM

SM

The Alien could've popped out the wall before she got her gear off and it would've made little difference.

whiterabbit

Gee whiz guys, Weaver could be reading this thread and I for one think see looks pretty fit in that scene.

Shaun

Quote from: SM on May 29, 2018, 12:33:43 AM
The Alien could've popped out the wall before she got her gear off and it would've made little difference.

My understanding was that the Alien was at it's end of it's life cycle.
Perhaps it was in a state of sleep, I don't know.

I quite like that Ripley let's her hair down, the false safety gives the the movie that bit extra when the Alien makes it's presence known.

I also think for the pacing of the film, it was done well. She rushes off into the shuttle, if the Alien appeared straight away then messes with the flow of it.

Just my humble opinion of course

SM

SM

I don't have an issue with it - she's getting ready for hypersleep after all.

But anyone who claims there was no intent to titillate is being a tad naïve.

OpenMaw

Pace wise it is smart, and I do agree it makes her feel far more vulnerable.

However, I personally could have done without the long hold on her crevassssssss...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed