Why is Alien: Resurrection hated so much?

Started by Magegg, Jan 06, 2013, 05:24:32 PM

Author
Why is Alien: Resurrection hated so much? (Read 29,048 times)

Magegg

I don't know why this film is so under-rated.

I understand people found far-fetched the Ripley resurrection, and mostly hated the alien/human hybrid, but seriously this film isn't that bad.

Ripley's mental recovery was very interesting, I find the characters good and colourful, it plays fine with the xenomorph dilemma and makes a pretty interesting synthesis of the previous episodes (Ripley becoming more like the xeno, the xeno turning human).

Also, it discards some of the previous conventions (for example, most of the characters dying on the end), while at the same time it retains some of the Aliens common elements (including an Alien on the group, having to carry over a disable member of the group, etc.) and it's plain fun. That, without entirely forgetting the horror roots of the saga, this time with the Ripley clones room.

I found the French direction style very amusing and refreshing, also. It's humorous, emotional and revolting at equal parts.

I think this film is hated only because of two things:
1. The Human-Alien hybrid, and the special effects.
2. Because people think it's not the direction the Aliens series should have gone.

I find the first point actually understandable, so you are right.

But at the second one, after the Alien 3 disaster, there was not many directions franchise could go. But as a self-contained film, I think Alien: Resurrection it's very good and entertaining.

Cal427eb

Ummmm... yeah....

MrSpaceJockey

New-born gets a lot of undeserved hate. Could've been designed better; but it was well articulated and made. Better proportions and animatronics compared to some of the aliens in later films. What exactly is the issue here to some people?

I agree that it's very entertaining as a self contained film.  I'm not bothers by its inclusion to canon because it takes place so long after Aliens/Alien3 it hardly exists in discussions.

SM

Main reasons are:
- people wanted Ripley to stay dead (either 'cos they were sick of her or because they thought she had a fitting send off in Alien3)
- they thought the cloning thing was bogus
- they  thought the script was a bit too cartoony
- they didn't like the Newborn
- they REALLY didn't like the Newborn killing the Queen

Personally, I dig it, but it's biggest flaw is a lack of tension.

Nightlord

The film bores the hell out of me, and the Auriga is such a plain ship it made the film seem like a corridor shooter.

Could of been worse though, the original script is like the current one with another hour or so stuck on.

Cal427eb

Quote from: SM on Jan 06, 2013, 10:47:23 PM
Main reasons are:
- people wanted Ripley to stay dead (either 'cos they were sick of her or because they thought she had a fitting send off in Alien3)
- they thought the cloning thing was bogus
- they  thought the script was a bit too cartoony
- they didn't like the Newborn
- they REALLY didn't like the Newborn killing the Queen

Personally, I dig it, but it's biggest flaw is a lack of tension.
This pretty much sums it up.

Samus007

I hate the movie, way more than 3. At least Alien 3 still feels like an Alien movie. A:R is like some mashed potatoes mess of God knows what. My reasons are:

1) The music. Compared to 1 thru 3's soundtracks, this one is forgettable.
2) Terrible script with horrid one liners.
3) The guy says, "Fury 16 on ice". It's not Fury 16 on ice. It's Fury 161.
4) That dreaded basketball scene. Makes no damn sense, and is pointless.
5) Stupid ass Marines who make stupid ass decisions
6) Chestburster that goes thru the dudes stomach at the end, and also goes thru the other dudes face. I mean, really!?! Really!?!?
7) Wynona Ryder
8 ) The character that was played by Ron Perlman was annoying and never once funny even though he was trying so hard to be. (Ron Perlman is awesome, just not in this movie).
9) The ladder scene after the water escape... Why in the world does the, up to this point bad ass black dude from CSI, decide to kill himself?!!? He got sprayed with acid a little bit, and then decides to cut his strap loose, give up on life, and die.
10) Shooting the spider.
11) The grenade tossing scene. From the grenade toss roll of awesomeness to the Alien jaw smashing the back of the Generals head and him starring at his brain is all utter stupidness.
12) The annoying ass scientist. Every single scene he is in is terrible!  "OOooohh like a beautiful little butterfly." Stfu.
13) The Alien queen's newborn birth scene. And of course, the newborn. One of the stupidest creations I have ever seen.
14) The "look" of the film. All those browns and muted colors just didn't do it for me.
15)  I especially hated the anamotronic Alien eggs. The cold hard look of the eggs from the first 3 films is gone in this film. Replaced by brownish eggs that breath and move and open and close back up again. Which brings me to...
16) Why the shit did the Aliens eggs close again when grenades fell into them!?!? Did the egg think to itself, "Oh, my facehugger has returned to me, I better close back up!?!?"
17) All the scenes where people shoot bullets off of walls and they ricochet perfectly to the designated target. Also that scene where grenades are perfectly shot off of walls to land inside of alien eggs.
18) The scene when Ripley rips out a RUBBER alien jaw... I mean, i know it's dead, but wtf!?!? In 3 previous movies it is pretty much established that the jaw is not a rubber tongue. Who knows, maybe the jaw is a mouth penis and gets turned on when it sees prey.
19) Back to the idiot scientist... "Oh no, the Aliens killed one of their own, and then escaped thru the floor, I better OPEN THE DOOR AND HAVE A LOOK SEE WHERE THEY WENT".... WTF?!
20) Basically the entire movie sucks.

In my opinion.

Hemi

Quote from: Samus007 on Jan 07, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
I hate the movie, way more than 3. At least Alien 3 still feels like an Alien movie. A:R is like some mashed potatoes mess of God knows what. My reasons are:

1) The music. Compared to 1 thru 3's soundtracks, this one is forgettable.
2) Terrible script with horrid one liners.
3) The guy says, "Fury 16 on ice". It's not Fury 16 on ice. It's Fury 161.
4) That dreaded basketball scene. Makes no damn sense, and is pointless.
5) Stupid ass Marines who make stupid ass decisions
6) Chestburster that goes thru the dudes stomach at the end, and also goes thru the other dudes face. I mean, really!?! Really!?!?
7) Wynona Ryder
8 ) The character that was played by Ron Perlman was annoying and never once funny even though he was trying so hard to be. (Ron Perlman is awesome, just not in this movie).
9) The ladder scene after the water escape... Why in the world does the, up to this point bad ass black dude from CSI, decide to kill himself?!!? He got sprayed with acid a little bit, and then decides to cut his strap loose, give up on life, and die.
10) Shooting the spider.
11) The grenade tossing scene. From the grenade toss roll of awesomeness to the Alien jaw smashing the back of the Generals head and him starring at his brain is all utter stupidness.
12) The annoying ass scientist. Every single scene he is in is terrible!  "OOooohh like a beautiful little butterfly." Stfu.
13) The Alien queen's newborn birth scene. And of course, the newborn. One of the stupidest creations I have ever seen.
14) The "look" of the film. All those browns and muted colors just didn't do it for me.
15)  I especially hated the anamotronic Alien eggs. The cold hard look of the eggs from the first 3 films is gone in this film. Replaced by brownish eggs that breath and move and open and close back up again. Which brings me to...
16) Why the shit did the Aliens eggs close again when grenades fell into them!?!? Did the egg think to itself, "Oh, my facehugger has returned to me, I better close back up!?!?"
17) All the scenes where people shoot bullets off of walls and they ricochet perfectly to the designated target. Also that scene where grenades are perfectly shot off of walls to land inside of alien eggs.
18) The scene when Ripley rips out a RUBBER alien jaw... I mean, i know it's dead, but wtf!?!? In 3 previous movies it is pretty much established that the jaw is not a rubber tongue. Who knows, maybe the jaw is a mouth penis and gets turned on when it sees prey.
19) Back to the idiot scientist... "Oh no, the Aliens killed one of their own, and then escaped thru the floor, I better OPEN THE DOOR AND HAVE A LOOK SEE WHERE THEY WENT".... WTF?!
20) Basically the entire movie sucks.

In my opinion.

Nothing to add here. Sums it up nice.

Xenomorph777

all in all i found it to be a decent addition to the series.

SM

Quote4) That dreaded basketball scene. Makes no damn sense, and is pointless.

It's an intro of the Betty crew to Ripley.

Quote5) Stupid ass Marines who make stupid ass decisions

Whom?

Quote9) The ladder scene after the water escape... Why in the world does the, up to this point bad ass black dude from CSI, decide to kill himself?!!? He got sprayed with acid a little bit, and then decides to cut his strap loose, give up on life, and die.

He couldn't support himself and was a liability to Viress and the group.  Which is made fairly obvious in the film.

Quote16) Why the shit did the Aliens eggs close again when grenades fell into them!?!? Did the egg think to itself, "Oh, my facehugger has returned to me, I better close back up!?!?"

Danger from grenades; lack of hosts; take your pick.

Quote18) The scene when Ripley rips out a RUBBER alien jaw... I mean, i know it's dead, but wtf!?!? In 3 previous movies it is pretty much established that the jaw is not a rubber tongue. Who knows, maybe the jaw is a mouth penis and gets turned on when it sees prey.

Gee, you think?

Magegg

I think the black dude's death was fine. He had acid sprayed on his face, there you go. Imagine how would you feel after having acid on your face by 10 seconds on more, it was painful enough to make him faint.

Hemi

Hemi

Christie's death was more a weak ass suicide, and a very stupid way to get rid off a character that had some potential. I would have let Ron Pearlman die instead of Christie or Elgyn. I would have loved to see Wincott's character with more screentime.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Hemi on Jan 08, 2013, 09:07:04 AM
I have a healthy hatred for anything Ron Pearlman does in his shitty career, a
Aaaand stopped reading.

Hemi

Your right... that was mean. Though I still think he's "special"  :-* and terrible in that movie.

StrangeShape

Its a ridiculous spoof. I cant present my points yet cause Im at work but Ill compile my short list explaining why this is the movie I hate the most of every movie out there later

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed