Alien : Ressurection's Newborn case.

Started by Kassku, Feb 21, 2010, 02:15:47 AM

Author
Alien : Ressurection's Newborn case. (Read 23,531 times)

SM

SM

QuoteYeah, but normally, in a hive, tons of aliens surround the Queen, how come we didnt see any? they should have jumped the newborn as soon as the queen died. shouldnt they?

In Aliens there were two Aliens surrounding the Queen - not "tons".

In Resurrection there were only 2 adult Aliens left on board and presumably they were trying to round up more hosts.

Keg

Keg

As i just mentioned in another topic i think ive hit the nail on the head why (at least i can say this for myself) many people hated the newborn and the ending of Resurrection. Its because it is an ALIEN movie and after the newborn is introduced we dont see another alien for the rest of the movie (apart from a 1 second shot of one before the ship crashes). Infact the last action scene involving an alien was 15 mintues prior to this with the end of the kitchen/ladder scene.
Now when watching an Alien film you do not expect the last 30 minutes to drasticly slow down in pace after a frantic first hour and then introduce a completely new alien while ignoring the ones that made us love the films. I think that if there was one more scene involving an alien before they escaped onto the betty the film wouldnt have ended with the feeling that youve just seen two seperate movies. Thats the way i feel anyway.

SM

SM

One of the reasons the Newborn is hated (apart from the design) is that it's never flagged earlier on.  In Aliens they have the discussion about "Who's laying these eggs?"  which sets up the "Whoa!" when Ripley finds out, rather than "Where the f**k did that come from??" like the Newborn.  In the context of the film, the Newborn makes sense, however as an old mate of mine once said, they should've stumbled across the dead Queen much earlier in the film, then get the characters - and audience - wondering "What could've done this?"  Setup leads to payoff.  In Resurrection, there's payoff with no setup so it doesn't quite work.

Keg

Keg

Probably why i get the feeling that the second half is a seperate movie. Theres a massive shift in tone away from action/black comedy to a very disturbing and dark scenario with some weird new breed that is suddenly thrust into the story as though the writers didnt know what to do after the aliens have escaped.

ShadowStalker

Great post there Keg, i also got the same feeling

Xeros Kore

Quote from: Keg on Feb 23, 2010, 12:36:50 AM
Probably why i get the feeling that the second half is a seperate movie. Theres a massive shift in tone away from action/black comedy to a very disturbing and dark scenario with some weird new breed that is suddenly thrust into the story as though the writers didnt know what to do after the aliens have escaped.

or its just Joss Whedon *TRYING* to be creative again...  :-\

somebody needs to give the man a coloring book.  granting female characters super powers isn't writing unless you're Chris Clairmont

cloverfan98

Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2010, 12:32:55 AM
One of the reasons the Newborn is hated (apart from the design) is that it's never flagged earlier on.  In Aliens they have the discussion about "Who's laying these eggs?"  which sets up the "Whoa!" when Ripley finds out, rather than "Where the f**k did that come from??" like the Newborn.  In the context of the film, the Newborn makes sense, however as an old mate of mine once said, they should've stumbled across the dead Queen much earlier in the film, then get the characters - and audience - wondering "What could've done this?"  Setup leads to payoff.  In Resurrection, there's payoff with no setup so it doesn't quite work.

Actually I think I agree with you. That would have been pretty cool.

Xeros Kore

Xeros Kore

Quote from: cloverfan98 on Feb 23, 2010, 11:56:11 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2010, 12:32:55 AM

Actually I think I agree with you. That would have been pretty cool.

negative... trying to include an "upgraded" creature should not be the major point of any film.  We came to see aliens, give us aliens, not the newborn.  I will be going to see predators, not to see bsp's (unless they are kept within reasonable boundries)

edit: fixed quotation error

SM

SM

QuoteWe came to see aliens, give us aliens, not the newborn.

We did get Aliens.  And the Newborn.  Just like how in Aliens we got Aliens AND the Queen.

Keg

Keg

SM is right though. As much as the newborn is hated it would have been recieved better if there was a setup. I couldnt of put that better myself. If we have to have the newborn that would of been the best way to do it. Find the dead queen, some other strange occurances like dead aliens not killed by gunshots and you've got the audience thinking "what the hells going on". Then you introduce it and then later after its been introduced you explain it so it also stays ambiguous even after its revealed and its alot easier to stomach because you where expecting something but didnt know what.
As it stands you arent expecting anything other than more shenanigans with the aliens and the queen (and youre probably mightily excited by that after the kitchen scene) and then blam....plot changes, a new creature is introduced out of nowhere and an old favourite is killed of cheaply all in the space of a minute. Youre left dumbstruck and the movie never recovers from that.

Xeros Kore

Quote from: SM on Feb 24, 2010, 10:13:21 PM
QuoteWe came to see aliens, give us aliens, not the newborn.

We did get Aliens.  And the Newborn.  Just like how in Aliens we got Aliens AND the Queen.

negative.  The queen is an alien.  Newborn was some man-made genetic experiment.  In short, it was too "alien" from the original concept  ;)

SM

SM

Whatever.  It's still part Alien, and was intended to show us something new like they did in Aliens.

Xeros Kore

and failed >_>

at least in my opinion.  As I stated elsewhere, I feel that the alien takes on its hosts dna and improves upon it, resulting in the creature we see, which is genetically superior to the host.  To splice host dna into the improved creature seems like a step backward to me  :-\

SM

SM

Well the experiment ultimately failed both in terms of audience reaction and in terms of the narrative.  The Newborn was an accident and unexpected by the Auriga's science staff.  The fact Ripley killed it showed that the filmmakers didn't intend to be anything other than a one off abomination.

Xeros Kore

yeah yeah, but I just hate it when people feel the need to upgrade an already awesome creature.  A Queen Alien makes sense, just like a a Predator Clan Leader makes sense.  I'm not in favor of the Newborn or Super Predators.  Just my feelings though.  If it is tastefully done, I will be more accepting of it, but still not like the principle from a narrative stance.  To me, it just seems like lack of creativity.  "I cant think of anything cool to do with the creature, so let's make a better one"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed