THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018)

Started by Tetsujin, Aug 23, 2018, 05:22:16 PM

Author
THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018) (Read 27,900 times)

ELDERCLANLEADER

Everyone slates AVP but to be honest I think it's a good pop corn flick that was never supposed to be taken seriously. I enjoyed it when I was younger. As a stand alone piece I think AVP was better than predators. AVP is a guilty pleasure of mine, I know I shouldn't like it, but I do. Im a bit like a fat kid who loves cake. I know it will make me fat but I'll eat it anyway! Now I'm just going to take cover behind this rock while the insults fly 😂

Master

It's my guilty pleasire too and I'm fat kid  :laugh:

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Danversity on Aug 25, 2018, 06:18:31 PM
Quote from: Xerxész on Aug 25, 2018, 03:56:49 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 25, 2018, 03:05:29 PM
Don't really care about all the fan stuff if it's built in a bad movie.

That was AvPR.

Spot on.

I know the Predator film that I would want to make, but Shane Black isn't me. I don't wanna see "my" movie, I wanna see his movie, just like I saw McTiernan's, Hopkins', Rodriguez/Antal's. That's what make movies great. I didn't watch the first Predator thinking "boy this movie better be have these things I love or else...". If Shane were to treat movies just for what the fans want, this would never go anywhere actually good, it would be just another soulless thing that only the fans would get and wouldn't even be able to justify its existence besides "oh just because the fans want it". That's AVPR right there. Had AVPR had a good director behind it, same story, decent actors, more character work and a decent ending to the battle... It still would have been a pretty mediocre movie, because it adds absolutely nothing to the mythos, it doesn't attempt to do anything new even as a movie by itself. It would be just a fun compilation of fanservice. Say what you want about AVP1 or Predators, but those movies tried to work with the material and add something new there, even if just a little. AVPR satisfies me as a Predator fan, because shit I actually love Wolf - but it absolutely lets me down as a movie viewer, and after that little experience I have no second thoughts on which I prefer The Predator to be.

Goddamn I'll stop writing so much.

+ 10000. When you state so much truth, trust me you can write all you want  ;)

Quote from: azamultic on Aug 25, 2018, 07:58:50 PM
YEh sorry guys for russian letters  ;)
I am agree that it's better get a good movie (like the first one, because it was not about predator, it was just a good movie). Then a lot of fan servecing )))

+ 10000 also  ;)

ELDERCLANLEADER

I whole heartedly and politely disagree with that statement. Sure there is nothing wrong adding new things, as long as they don't take to much from the character that we have come to recognise as "Predator"

Certain iconic things do need fan service imo. It's ultimately this same crowd that keeps the whole thing alive when a film isn't made for ten years. Be it buying comics, video games, figures and artwork.

If Shane black wanted to make his film that's cool. But you don't have to sh*t on the elements to get there. I'm holding out for him to pull one out the hat with the film and prove me wrong. Dogs, CGI upgrade and captured,  it's all so unnecessary. Add to the fact the creature designs are forgettable, and you have a big problem.

The point is actually some franchises would probably be safer in the fans hands them letting studios kill them for a quick buck. Predator and Alien is one of them. Does anyone not seriously question 20th centuries neglect to both franchises over the last 20 years? I do.

Any alien or predator film with fox stamped on it I'm wary of these days. I wish Shane black the best. But I'm already rapidly losing hype for this film.

azamultic

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Aug 26, 2018, 12:54:15 PM
I whole heartedly and politely disagree with that statement. Sure there is nothing wrong adding new things, as long as they don't take to much from the character that we have come to recognise as "Predator"

Certain iconic things do need fan service imo. It's ultimately this same crowd that keeps the whole thing alive when a film isn't made for ten years. Be it buying comics, video games, figures and artwork.

If Shane black wanted to make his film that's cool. But you don't have to sh*t on the elements to get there. I'm holding out for him to pull one out the hat with the film and prove me wrong. Dogs, CGI upgrade and captured,  it's all so unnecessary. Add to the fact the creature designs are forgettable, and you have a big problem.

The point is actually some franchises would probably be safer in the fans hands them letting studios kill them for a quick buck. Predator and Alien is one of them. Does anyone not seriously question 20th centuries neglect to both franchises over the last 20 years? I do.

Any alien or predator film with fox stamped on it I'm wary of these days. I wish Shane black the best. But I'm already rapidly losing hype for this film.

For me personally this whole thing is subjective, I mean you are fan of predator, I am fan of predator. For you this whole thing is shiting on the elements of the franchise, for me it's not. I am sure there is a fan who would even complaint about the City Hunter's face, like "why it's so different from the Jungle Hunter?" Every fan has different level of tolerance for the new changes to they beloved character. So who deciding what is "OK" to be changed and what is not "OK" to be changed?
"Certain iconic things do need fan service imo" By the way they did  keep dreads(even so they changed the texture), they did keep mandibles, they did keep two teeth on the top of his jaw( I hated faces in AVP ), so they still keeping the Predator features  which only Predator has, so they already kept his image in this regard  ;)

Also disagree about that Alien and Predator franchise would be better in fans hand) That is very strong statement, without any prove, I mean Strause bros and Anderson already proved that it's bad idea to give this franchises to fans.

Another thing is that fans very strongly stuck with the "Canon" Idea, I had this obsession too for a while, that this is not canon, that is not canon. But when Disney purchased Star Wars Universe and canceled all canon of Star Wars and just redid it, I understood that it's no such thing as "Canon" in this Entertainment Media. 

PS: All this said with respect so you wouldn't take my words negatively   ;D

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Azamultic no offence taken bro. Haha. We are usually of the same side of the same coin. So us not agreeing is intriguing. I get what you mean about being subjective, and whats canon etc, many would argue predator 2 is not canon to alien with the xenoskull for example.

but imo sometimes a character is a bit like a strawberry, I know what a strawberry looks like, what it smells like and what it tastes like.You couldn't give me an orange and exspect me to believe it's a strawberry. I feel this film is the orange to my strawberry..

Do you honestly believe fox have had both franchises under safe hands for the last 20 years? The track record speaks for itself. All I want is a serious predator film that has cool designs and knows what it wants to be, how hard is it?   ;D

Also anyone seen Wolverine vs Predator with the super power beat down? or Batman: Dead end? They are awesome.

They put more thought into those short films than fox have put into their own movies, there's your proof that fans can make good material.

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Aug 26, 2018, 02:07:10 PM
Azamultic no offence taken bro. Haha. We are usually of the same side of the same coin. So us not agreeing is intriguing. I get what you mean about being subjective, and whats canon etc, many would argue predator 2 is not canon to alien with the xenoskull for example.

but imo sometimes a character is a bit like a strawberry, I know what a strawberry looks like, what it smells like and what it tastes like.You couldn't give me an orange and exspect me to believe it's a strawberry. I feel this film is the orange to my strawberry..

Do you honestly believe fox have had both franchises under safe hands for the last 20 years? The track record speaks for itself. All I want is a serious predator film that has cool designs and knows what it wants to be, how hard is it?   ;D

Exactly, you want your strawberry, I want my strawberry and few thousands fans want their strawberry  ;) Point is everybody love Predator for their own reasons, of course as a fan of the same race of alien hunter we all have something in common, but again, too many opinions and every fan wants the next director to get what this fan exactly wants from Predator movie, which is very unrealistic  ;D

"Do you honestly believe fox have had both franchises under safe hands for the last 20 years? The track record speaks for itself. " Exactly my point, they gave this franchises to fan-directors, and they failed for me personally. Anderson spoke in the Interview how he was fan of Ridley's Alien and you can clearly see his favor for Aliens in that movie, one Alien killed 2 preds, and almost killed the third one, also the interior design of Predator ship reminded too much of Alien elements. Strause bros were fans of Alien and Predator and they made the worst movie with Predator and Alien. Rodriguez was fan of Predator, and he couldn't deliver (yes he was a producer, but I am sure he was ruling on the set), action was weak, Predators didn't feel powerful at all, looked like clumsy rednecks (not being racist guys, talking about stereotypes) from some type of comedy. So yes fans did make bad movies for these franchises already  ;D

"All I want is a serious predator film that has cool designs and knows what it wants to be, how hard is it?" Yes it is very hard, sometimes I make some cool 3d model and thinking "yehh my friends gonna dig it", I show them and they like "What is that? That looks lame". Sometimes it's really hard to get how people going to react to your ideas, and even harder to get fans. You may not change enough and people going to complaint that it's  to similar to original, you going change too much and fans going to yell "WTF!!!!". It's really hard to find Golden Balance so that 90 % of viewers including fans going to be satisfied.

And in the end, Shane definitely knows what he is making, what he is aiming for, and that happened that his view didn't meet with majority of "fans" views on this franchise. But I can see by his interviews and tired face that he didn't slack of these 2 years, and he tries to make the best movie he can, you can see it, he sure did studied all other movies, and info about preds mythology (my speculation). And I love all Shane Blacks movies, of course he is not the best choice for Predator, but he is the one of the more original and interesting filmmakers in mainstream movie industry right now.

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Aug 26, 2018, 02:07:10 PM

Also anyone seen Wolverine vs Predator with the super power beat down? or Batman: Dead end? They are awesome.

They put more thought into those short films than fox have put into their own movies, there's your proof that fans can make good material.

Ohhh common Elderclanleader really you using this videos as the argument  ;D

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

I don't get why you are poking fun at super power beat down and batman dead end, perhaps you should rewatch them? As they are far better than your tone would imply.

I'm making a solid point. Both those shorts were made by fans with a mere budget of a £5000 or under. That's a lot of kick ass for a £5000. Proving A. Fans can make good material and can keep it feeling genuine. And B that it's not all about budget. And yes it's just common sense why piss off the majority of the fan base? As a business proposition it makes completely no sense to do that. You can add things to already established themes and ideas. There's no need to rewrite history.

If the fans don't like it, what are the general audience going to think? It's damaging and  it impacts the return in profit.

As covenant found out.

azamultic

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Aug 26, 2018, 03:28:59 PM
I don't get why you are poking fun at super power beat down and batman dead end, perhaps you should rewatch them? As they are far better than your tone would imply.

I'm making a solid point. Both those shorts were made by fans with a mere budget of a £5000 or under. That's a lot of kick ass for a £5000. Proving A. Fans can make good material and can keep it feeling genuine. And B that it's not all about budget. And yes it's just common sense why piss off the majority of the fan base? As a business proposition it makes completely no sense to do that. You can add things to already established themes and ideas. There's no need to rewrite history.

If the fans don't like it, what are the general audience going to think? It's damaging and  it impacts the return in profit.

As covenant found out.

"I'm making a solid point." Okay, what about my point that 20 century fox already gave Fans-Director(Anderson, Strause Brothers, Rodrigez) to work on the material? I think I made a solid point too ;)

"Fans can make good material and can keep it feeling genuine. And B that it's not all about budget. And yes it's just common sense why piss off the majority of the fan base?" Too much subjective points, like "make it feel genuine", of course studio doesn't want to mess it up, it's not their plan to spit in fans faces. Like again I feel like Shane Black with John Davis "genuinely" want to bring back the Predator on screen and make it good, judging by the reactions of people they are failing right now, but movie not even out yet. 

Also I can't compare fan made video which consist mostly of final act fighting with the full length feature movie. I mean it's totally different things. Zack Snider can make a really cool looking fight in 5 min and I wouldn't call him a good director. Full length feature film and a short movie which consist mostly of fighting is different stuff. It's why I don't think you can bring his as a point. It could be cool for a short fan made movie, but you can't put it together with even "AvP" or "Predators".

PS: I am not a director major and never made a short movie, I think somebody in this forum does this type of stuff, I mean camera work and directing, so they may criticize this videos better then me. But I do like batman shot on the at 1:20 min mark.  ;)

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Your example about Anderson doesn't counter the fact iv produced proof that you asked for, that fans can make good films about their favourite characters. Granted they are not comparable to full length films, but when they look as good at they do for not even 1% of what it takes to make a full length film. You do have to wonder what some of these guys could do with a full blown budget. My argument is the fans know their character better than the people who hold the reigns.  Sure you say it's subjective but I think we can all agree that there are certain things that make a character what it is. My point is you don't have to walk all over what has come before. It was why I hated 2010s predators ", the way mr black was implied to be stronger and more deadly than our classic counter part. Wow almost a decade on and they now want to do the same trick twice with the inclusion of upgrade. Its like fox just don't care about fan feedback at all.

My nomination for a director working on Predator is for Christopher Nolan to take a shot at it. The way he reinvented batman for the modern era, is what predator needs. I think Nolan would make one kick ass predator film. Sadly I can only dream.  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

Christopher Nolan is styleless, no thank you.

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Aug 26, 2018, 04:00:26 PM
Your example about Anderson doesn't counter the fact iv produced proof that you asked for, that fans can make good films about their favourite characters. Granted they are not comparable to full length films, but when they look as good at they do for not even 1% of what it takes to make a full length film. You do have to wonder what some of these guys could do with a full blown budget. My argument is the fans know their character better than the people who hold the reigns.  Sure you say it's subjective but I think we can all agree that there are certain things that make a character what it is. My point is you don't have to walk all over what has come before. It was why I hated 2010s predators ", the way mr black was implied to be stronger and more deadly than our classic counter part. Wow almost a decade on and they now want to do the same trick twice with the inclusion of upgrade. Its like fox just don't care about fan feedback at all.

My nomination for a director working on Predator is for Christopher Nolan to take a shot at it. The way he reinvented batman for the modern era, is what predator needs. I think Nolan would make one kick ass predator film. Sadly I can only dream.  ;D

"Granted they are not comparable to full length films, but when they look as good at they do for not even 1% of what it takes to make a full length film. You do have to wonder what some of these guys could do with a full blown budget." I used example as Zack Snider who is amazing and making really effective short scenes, fights, flashbacks etc. Does it make him a good director, my opinion :"Heeell No". Do you think he is a good director?

" My argument is the fans know their character better than the people who hold the reigns." Totally disagree with this statement. Okay, not totally, but very disagree with it ;D I think it's where We fundamentally not agreeing with each other. John Mct wasn't fan of Predator and he made the perfect Predator movie, Stephen Hopkins sure wasn't Predator fan and he made an Okay movie (My favorite though and I think that this move is really underrated). We (my opinion of course) don't need a fan director, we need a good and lucky director and the team to make a good movie(Jonh Mct) and get lucky with the design (Winston team). Shane Black is better director then Anderson, Strause Bros, and probably at this point better then Rodrigez (definitely better then Nimrod).

georgeromero

Too much fan service = 2 hour long commercial, leave that to Transformers franchise. Both AvP movies and Predators were weak because they relied too much on nods to previous films instead of giving us a solid story.

And since we are comparing strawberries to movies those short films are a different medium so comparing those is a bit far stretched in my opinion. Like azamultic has mentioned before those are like snippets from a movie where you don't get much storywise. Whereas there are more things to take into account making a full length movie. Even Predators had a good fight scene or two. Did fan service work? Yes it did here and there. The end product was weak.

In the end it's all subjective you don't like Predator dogs others may go crazy for it, same can be said about Upgrade etc. Personally I think Fugitive looks cool as f**k but you may not agree. And it's fine. In the end It is your own opinion.

azamultic

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 26, 2018, 04:18:06 PM
Christopher Nolan is styleless, no thank you.

Kind of agree, Nolan is a good director, but not my type and his movies always feel very dry, and emotionless(even when he creating an emotional moment). His action scenes definitely not as good as  Shane's Black action scene for me personally.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: azamultic on Aug 26, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Aug 26, 2018, 04:00:26 PM

" My argument is the fans know their character better than the people who hold the reigns." Totally disagree with this statement. Okay, not totally, but very disagree with it ;D I think it's where We fundamentally not agreeing with each other. John Mct wasn't fan of Predator and he made the perfect Predator movie, Stephen Hopkins sure wasn't Predator fan and he made an Okay movie (My favorite though and I think that this move is really underrated). We (my opinion of course) don't need a fan director, we need a good and lucky director and the team to make a good movie(Jonh Mct) and get lucky with the design (Winston team). Shane Black is better director then Anderson, Strause Bros, and probably at this point better then Rodrigez (definitely better then Nimrod).

Damn it looks like me speaking ! Amen !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed