My Critique of IGN's Review

Started by NickisSmart, Oct 05, 2014, 10:55:01 PM

Author
My Critique of IGN's Review (Read 3,933 times)

SM

SM

lolnope

They should've seen, heard or smelled Newt too.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 07, 2014, 09:12:28 PM
Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Oct 07, 2014, 09:07:00 PM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Oct 05, 2014, 10:55:01 PM
I read IGN's review and decided to post my two cents about it in the form of a video critique:

Yeah they basically do a bad job when it comes to reviewing Alien games.  Complete bs they said this is the only game that stays true to the alien itself, its like the most unauthentic alien.

Just talking about the Alien itself going by lore, the most authentic aliens would be from A.C.M., then AvPE, then A.INFEST., then AvP2.

They flat out lied about stuff in there ACM review, like saying "there no easter eggs in ACM for the counsels" despite the fact there awards for finding said easters eggs.

I would give Isolation a 8 or 9 BUT since they f**ked up the alien, made it so you can hide from it or distract it with what amounts to a rubber ball, AND on top of that made reviewers believe this IS the correct way a alien should be, going by there reviews, I would give this game a 2 or 1. 

Sega should have made this game but without the ALIEN nor anthing from that universe, fix up the plot to account for this change, and it would have been great. 
I have no f**king clue what you're even saying.
Thats nice, your that guy that tried to f**k over my efforts to spreed the word about the special dlc for the 7th or 8th gen Resident Evil remake.  We really dont have anything reason to talk to each other.  Please dont.

Quote from: SM on Oct 07, 2014, 09:33:15 PM
lolnope

They should've seen, heard or smelled Newt too.

LOL most were in hibernation or else where, they were never in the same area as her let alone 15 feet away from her like the character you play as in Isolation.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Oct 07, 2014, 09:34:12 PM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 07, 2014, 09:12:28 PM
Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Oct 07, 2014, 09:07:00 PM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Oct 05, 2014, 10:55:01 PM
I read IGN's review and decided to post my two cents about it in the form of a video critique:

Yeah they basically do a bad job when it comes to reviewing Alien games.  Complete bs they said this is the only game that stays true to the alien itself, its like the most unauthentic alien.

Just talking about the Alien itself going by lore, the most authentic aliens would be from A.C.M., then AvPE, then A.INFEST., then AvP2.

They flat out lied about stuff in there ACM review, like saying "there no easter eggs in ACM for the counsels" despite the fact there awards for finding said easters eggs.

I would give Isolation a 8 or 9 BUT since they f**ked up the alien, made it so you can hide from it or distract it with what amounts to a rubber ball, AND on top of that made reviewers believe this IS the correct way a alien should be, going by there reviews, I would give this game a 2 or 1. 

Sega should have made this game but without the ALIEN nor anthing from that universe, fix up the plot to account for this change, and it would have been great. 
I have no f**king clue what you're even saying.
Thats nice, your that guy that tried to f**k over my efforts to spreed the word about the special dlc for the 7th or 8th gen Resident Evil remake.  We really dont have anything reason to talk to each other.  Please dont.
Sorry for trying to keep the forum clear of your spam.

Corporal Hicks

Alright, move away from that topic please. Let's not derail any further.

SM

SM

QuoteLOL most were in hibernation or else where, they were never in the same area as her let alone 15 feet away from her like the character you play as in Isolation.

The Aliens were inside the colony before the marines showed up and Newt had seen them in action.  The very fact she was still alive means she was able to evade them, which means she was able to hide from them.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

What does any of this have to do with IGN or my take on their review?

PC Gamer, which is praising the game more than anyone, it seems like, addressed some of the criticisms aimed at the game. They share a lot of my views expressed in my video:

http://www.pcgamer.com/addressing-criticisms-of-alien-isolation/

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: SM on Oct 07, 2014, 10:13:11 PM
QuoteLOL most were in hibernation or else where, they were never in the same area as her let alone 15 feet away from her like the character you play as in Isolation.

The Aliens were inside the colony before the marines showed up and Newt had seen them in action.  The very fact she was still alive means she was able to evade them, which means she was able to hide from them.

The situations are nowhere near compareable going by movies alone theyve been shown to have long range tracking skills, they were obviously far enough away from her that they didnt know about her, same deal as the Marines, if the aliens were in that part of the complex they would have attacked them sooner.  It wasnt till the aliens were awaken that they tracked / attacked any of the remaining humans.  Not on person was able to hide from them, not even the one underwater was unable to track humans. 

Its because of these powerful and alien senses, that  they go into more detail in other mediums, that its exteremly hard to hide from them, they are usually in posistions that are ment to ambush there enemies and yet, if it were a human trying to ambush people the way aliens do, medlab and vent scene comes to mind, it would be next to impossible.

The example youve given me compareing Newt with Riplys daughter are nowhere near comparable.  The Aliens Newt hid from were real far away, Amanda is constantly up close too 15 - 30 feet from the alien and yet she canonically 99% the time is able to hide from it, this is made worse by the fact it is hunting her,  if Newt was activley being hunted she would of been dead much sooner.

You didnt say anthing about it so ill repeat myself, the alien is also made pathetic by the fact it is canonically 80% easily fooled, by thrown objects, taking the above example into consideration this is stupid.  It would know someone is there because of its many diffrent ways it detects prey.

The reviewers were wrong when they said this alien creature is the most accurate alien, when compared to the lore, that has come from a game.

If this game had nothing to do with the alien series I would give it a 8 - 9 out of 10 but since they f**ked up the alien, it gets a 1-2 out of 10.  As I said this gets worse in that all these people are jumping on the bandwagen proclaiming that this is indeed the most accurate and respectful alien creature when compared to the lore.

The critics are wrong as are the scores theyve given AI.

SM

SM

You're either deliberately or ignorantly missing the point, and there's very little point in spamming up this thread further.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

SM

SM

Tried watching your vid, but 45 minutes is just way too long for a review of a review.

If I see some game I've never heard of pop up on sale on Steam, and it looks interesting I'll check it out on wikipedia to see what the consensus is.  Anyone who bases their opinion on a single review is an idiot - especially when you have a consensus with this game that is 75%+.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Long and detailed. Just my style I guess.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Unnecessarily drawn out like a lot of parts in the game.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Ha, I can tell where you stand, Cal427eb.

Think of this not as a review in the same style that you're accustomed to. It isn't orthographic. It's oral and this in a sense is a lecture. This may seem anachronistic in this day and age, but it's the approach that I feel most comfortable with. I'm aiming to express myself, so comfort is paramount to a successfully honest delivery. Your reaction is essentially the unhappy student bored to tears during his professor's symposium.

The fact that this isn't constrained to the written word allows me to discuss the topic and analyze it at whatever length and pace I so desire. So, I ask, what is necessary in regards to a lengthy analysis (versus a more accessible format meant for consumption by people with short attention spans)? As far as I'm concerned, the length is just right, and the thing that is lacking is within yourselves. : )

SM

SM

What is necessary is an editor.

nicholas.vanderwaard

i disagree. one, i already edited it myself. i kept it long intentionally because there was much to discuss. it would need an editor if it was redundant, but you wouldn't know because you didn't watch it. you want  me to shorten it to match your attention span, but i'm not interested in abbreviation or simplification for the sake of accessibility.

also, the article raises numerous issues and questions. i could spend an hour on a single point, examining the finer details. this intellectual, like an essay. an editor in the way that you refer to it matters little. your insistance of editing proves only that you have missed the point entirely.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed