Telltale Alien or Predator game?

Started by The Alien Predator, Aug 08, 2016, 04:17:57 PM

Should they make one?

Yes
No
Author
Telltale Alien or Predator game? (Read 5,539 times)

The Alien Predator

For those of you that don't know, Telltales have made games set in Jurassic Park, the Walking Dead and now a recent Batman game.

The last two have a cartoony style while Jurassic Park is not.

But all three are choice based games where your paths affect the storyline, and they are released in episodes. What you do in episode one can come back and haunt you in episode four.

Alien: Isolation gave us a unique experience by using the "hide from monster" approach some horror games utilize. Most Alien or AvP games have been shooters until now.

But I think the Telltale approach would be interesting because it is basically an interactive movie which opens the door for tons of character and plot development, not to mention massive replay value due to the choices and endings you can try out.

Also, Predator would do very well in this format as you can either play as a soldier trying to find out just what the hell is going on, or you can play as the Predator himself during a hunt. Imagine having to press a button to cloak quickly before you are found, then press to move to a higher vantage point and another button to go into first person mode and view through the hunter's eyes. Plus choosing your killing method, one button to impale with spear, another to slice with wrist blades or press another to stomp his head in?

Or in the case of Alien, it can take the Walking Dead approach where there is a Xenomorph infestation on a colony where you and a group of survivors have to survive until rescue arrives. And any choice you make affects who lives or dies. Maybe even have some parts that let you play as the Alien and take out a crew on a towing vessel in space.

Kailem

Kailem

That would actually be a really great idea! There are lots of possibilities for choice-based gameplay you could have with either of them. Like in your Aliens colony example, maybe someone with expertise in repairing a downed transmitter gets face-huggered, and you can either choose to put them into stasis to stop the growth of the chestburster (but leave the transmitter inoperable), or keep him working on the vital repairs and risk having it kill him if it takes too long and it bursts out (which not only loses you an important colonist, but incurs the anger of many others who feel you let him die).

Also something like deciding whether or not to send a security team to an area of the colony you've lost contact with, or keep them with you and your group of survivors and let the people over there potentially fend for themselves if the reason for the loss of contact is indeed Alien-related.

Heck perhaps even an Aliens-style decision on where to place defences (maybe you only have enough defences for a certain portion of the colony, and have to decide which areas to leave effectively undefended, and which colonists at risk).

*Trophy Unlocked!* - "Now All we Need is a Deck of Cards."

Damn, now I really want a Telltale Aliens or Predator game. :D

The Alien Predator

Yeah, there's so much potential with this!  :laugh:

Nelostic

Nelostic

the main thing that was not a cartoon style  :-\

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nelostic on Aug 09, 2016, 09:02:58 AM

I think a stylised kind of animation would be great but it can't be too obviously cell shaded or cartoony. I would love to see something like this though. I here nothing but good things about TellTale. The lass played the Walking Dead ones and absolutely loved them.

I'd be curious to see where they went with a choice based game though. Does anyone remember Alien - The Interactive Story? It was an old fan-made website that was based on the old choice books.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 09, 2016, 09:20:06 AM
Quote from: Nelostic on Aug 09, 2016, 09:02:58 AM

I think a stylised kind of animation would be great but it can't be too obviously cell shaded or cartoony. I would love to see something like this though. I here nothing but good things about TellTale. The lass played the Walking Dead ones and absolutely loved them.

I'd be curious to see where they went with a choice based game though. Does anyone remember Alien - The Interactive Story? It was an old fan-made website that was based on the old choice books.

I think I remember watching some clips of the Alien - The Interactive Story game.

I'd love to see Fox try their hand at another choice based game. My friend tells me TellTale holds votes on what their next game should be about. So who knows? One day they might have Alien or Predator on the list.  ;D

KillCrites

I would love it, Terminator would work great also.

The Alien Predator

I agree, Terminator would also be perfect for this format.

Whiskeybrewer

Come on Telltale. You know you want to ;)

The Alien Predator

Indeed, Whiskey!  ;D

I added a poll.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 09, 2016, 01:09:00 PM
I think I remember watching some clips of the Alien - The Interactive Story game.

You might be thinking the Comic Book Adventure. The old point and click style one.

The Interactive Story was literally just a web page.

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 09, 2016, 01:09:00 PMMy friend tells me TellTale holds votes on what their next game should be about. So who knows? One day they might have Alien or Predator on the list.  ;D

Should go suggest it.  :P

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 09, 2016, 07:20:19 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 09, 2016, 01:09:00 PM

You might be thinking the Comic Book Adventure. The old point and click style one.

The Interactive Story was literally just a web page.

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 09, 2016, 01:09:00 PMMy friend tells me TellTale holds votes on what their next game should be about. So who knows? One day they might have Alien or Predator on the list.  ;D

Should go suggest it.  :P

Oh, I see. For a second I was confused as I thought that game was official and not a fan game. Thanks for clearing up my confusion as I was thinking of the point and click one. XD

And yes, definitely.  :P I think if they get enough suggestions, they might consider it.

Vow

Vow

Gonna have to go against the grain here and say that this would be quite probably one of the worst Alien/Predator games in existence.

No matter how starved I am for more Alien or Predator video games, I would not wish this upon either of the franchises.

I consider Telltale to be quite awful. Once upon a time, they might have actually made video games, but not anymore. Interactive slideshows, at best. I hardly consider that an appropriate medium for A/P. There are no actual choices in their games. There's only the illusion. Your choices, no matter what they are, won't really change all that much and the ultimate destination is going to be the same no matter what (unless you die and reload, that is).

KillCrites

Quote from: Vow on Sep 03, 2016, 05:29:28 PM
Gonna have to go against the grain here and say that this would be quite probably one of the worst Alien/Predator games in existence.

No matter how starved I am for more Alien or Predator video games, I would not wish this upon either of the franchises.

I consider Telltale to be quite awful. Once upon a time, they might have actually made video games, but not anymore. Interactive slideshows, at best. I hardly consider that an appropriate medium for A/P. There are no actual choices in their games. There's only the illusion. Your choices, no matter what they are, won't really change all that much and the ultimate destination is going to be the same no matter what (unless you die and reload, that is).
More like interactive movies.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Vow on Sep 03, 2016, 05:29:28 PM

I was honestly about to say the same thing. The idea is very pleasing, but Telltale themselves would just smear it all over the place. Everything is nearly fixed for you. Its like in The Walking Dead games, one of the main characters, Kenny, any of the choices will end up getting the same character angry with you anyway. You never really win what you want.

Great gameplay concept, but not so good developer for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed