Newborn IS a beautiful butterfly.

Started by jacobo1122, Jul 09, 2023, 10:23:41 AM

Author
Newborn IS a beautiful butterfly. (Read 1,798 times)

jacobo1122

Hey, I just want to give a Newborn from Resurrection some well deserved love. In all seriousness, I really don't know why it gets so much hate. Sure, I get the complains that it is weird, ugly, has nothing from scary, but beautiful in some way biomechanical look of XX121s, but that is the whole point. It's supposed to be an abomination, unnatural thing that came to be from disturbing experiments. Also plot wise, it is ideal culmination of previous disturbing things the movie revealed to us. Jeunet also went very European with the monster, giving it almost child-like behaviour, adding to weirdeness of the thing, and making the viewer uncofortable and not really knowing what to think about it, because it's not evil or something, it's even never supposed to exist. Hell, I always kinda felt for it, when it was sucked into space in the most gruesome way. And as special effects go, Newborn is one of the best of ADI's work. It's really look life-like. So yeah, Newborn IS a beautiful butterfly, and Resurrection is a great movie, B-class masterpiece, but it's a topic for whole another conversation  ;)

Kradan

Kradan

I think Newborn is cute

Still Collating...

I respect your opinion OP, but I have to disagree. The special effects and the death scene are awesome. The rest? not so much...

First, just cause the Director was French, doesn't mean: Oh it's European, so it's supposed to be weird. European cinema has serious and dark stuff just as much as the previous Alien films.

Second, it's never implied in the movie that this is wrong, an abomination. The scientist is implying that this is the next step in the Alien evolution. That the Newborn is better. Even though it's a lot uglier (not in a good way) than the beauty of the biomechanical creatures in the first 3 films. The biomechanical aspect was already being decreased from the third movie, but that's cause of ADI and their poor design choices IMO. We see the Newborn, an awkward, fleshy thing, kill the huge, armored Queen with one swipe of it's ugly hand, that doesn't even have any claws. Not very convincing to me. And all that just to show that we have a bigger, stronger, more mean Alien, somehow better. I get a sense that that was implied and that felt pretty bad to me personally.

And I'm saying all of this as someone who actually doesn't hate the movie. Love some parts, hate others.

jacobo1122

I don't say that European supposed to be weird, but Jeunet certainly is ;) And his approach to Newborn was a little different than most of American last monster fights. As to implaying that Newborn is better, well, it comes from very mad Scientist, who is too much into this shit :) Btw, I love Dourif in this over the top role. And I didn't get a feeling that Newborn is better in any significant way. Yes, it killed a Queen, its probably physically strong, but killing a Queen isn't a good way to prolong your Species' survival :) Also giving birth to that thing didn't look like more effective way to reproduce for Xenomorph, it took a long time and gave Pain to the Queen because again, that isn't supposed to be like that, it's unnatural hybrid. And as last disturbing thing that came out of those Experiments Newborn is very good culmination and last creature for the climax in my opinion. I mean, it would be kinda underwhelming if last sequence was just fighting again with normal Aliens or with the Queen, after all that weirdeness we saw before. It must have been leading to something. And as for regular Xenomorphs design, I have nothing against it, its dictaded by plot, and it fits. Sure, ultimately I also prefer classic biomechanical look, but again, ADI's work was so good in this movie, and Aliens looked great in motion.

Cocolyte

FINALLY someone standing up for my BEAUTIFUL BABY.

Nightmare Asylum

Newborn's good.

Kradan

Kradan

And cool ?

Nightmare Asylum

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Cocolyte on Jul 09, 2023, 07:41:56 PMFINALLY someone standing up for my BEAUTIFUL BABY.

Came here to tag you but you'd already found it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 09, 2023, 05:38:29 PMSecond, it's never implied in the movie that this is wrong, an abomination. The scientist is implying that this is the next step in the Alien evolution.
This is wrong. Gediman flat out says the live birth is "[Ripley's] gift to [the Queen]", the same way Ripley got some abilities -- acid blood, strength, memories -- from the Queen. The film is clear it's 100% an abomination caused by the cloning, not "the next step in the Alien evolution".

Wweyland

Wweyland

It fits the movie

Still Collating...

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2023, 02:59:17 AM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 09, 2023, 05:38:29 PMSecond, it's never implied in the movie that this is wrong, an abomination. The scientist is implying that this is the next step in the Alien evolution.
This is wrong. Gediman flat out says the live birth is "[Ripley's] gift to [the Queen]", the same way Ripley got some abilities -- acid blood, strength, memories -- from the Queen. The film is clear it's 100% an abomination caused by the cloning, not "the next step in the Alien evolution".

I don't deny that it's cause of the cloning that their DNA got mixed up. But nowhere is the Newborn treated as an abomination in the sense that it's wrong and inferior. Quite opposite:

"She is giving birth for you Ripley, and now she is perfect!" 0:38 and the beautiful butterfly quote...

Just don't like the implication that the Queen is better for having to go through live births one at a time instead of the eggs. And that the Newborn is so dangerous cause it killed the Queen that easily.

Does the scene look amazing? It does, love it actually. But The implications for the Alien I didn't like, that's all.

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Jul 09, 2023, 07:23:23 PMI don't say that European supposed to be weird, but Jeunet certainly is ;) And his approach to Newborn was a little different than most of American last monster fights. As to implaying that Newborn is better, well, it comes from very mad Scientist, who is too much into this shit :) Btw, I love Dourif in this over the top role. And I didn't get a feeling that Newborn is better in any significant way. Yes, it killed a Queen, its probably physically strong, but killing a Queen isn't a good way to prolong your Species' survival :) Also giving birth to that thing didn't look like more effective way to reproduce for Xenomorph, it took a long time and gave Pain to the Queen because again, that isn't supposed to be like that, it's unnatural hybrid. And as last disturbing thing that came out of those Experiments Newborn is very good culmination and last creature for the climax in my opinion. I mean, it would be kinda underwhelming if last sequence was just fighting again with normal Aliens or with the Queen, after all that weirdeness we saw before. It must have been leading to something. And as for regular Xenomorphs design, I have nothing against it, its dictaded by plot, and it fits. Sure, ultimately I also prefer classic biomechanical look, but again, ADI's work was so good in this movie, and Aliens looked great in motion.

I agree with most of what you said. Jeunet is "special" with his filmography. Also loved the mad scientists and the Aliens did move well. The suits and the CGI looked great IMO. The underwater scene will always stick with me.
I just literally don't like making Aliens fleshy. :laugh: For the final mutation, I would've preferred something more biomechanical. That may be the biggest thing bugging me. ;D 

SiL

SiL

The guy is completely insane, cocooned to the wall. He is not meant to be taken seriously. I mean he tried to make out with the Alien earlier in the movie, maybe don't take his word on things?

The film doesn't need words to tell us it's a freak and an abomination. The fact that it has emotions which let it get killed by Ripley show it's inferior to the regular Alien.

littlesprout

I despise everything about the newborn, and it is the cherry on top of a terrible entry to the alien franchise. It fits the comic EU style of the lore but should have never been on screen.

With that being said, I respect your opinion.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: littlesprout on Jul 11, 2023, 03:17:38 AMIt fits the comic EU style

Everything about Resurrection feels that way; as a viewer, it's the best way to approach the film, really.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed