The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 190,816 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 12, 2016, 01:26:51 PM
Has anyone ever played a Cthulhu boardgame? I was wondering if they're any good.

Arkham Horror was pretty fun.

426Buddy

426Buddy

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Well that game turned out to be ass.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I have the Twilight Creations board game called "Cthulhu!!". It's pretty fun. I also have another called "The Innsmouth Escape" but I haven't played it yet.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

A tremendous, eerie cosmic horror rpg was released a while ago called Black Sun Death Crawl, where you literally dig your own graves:
http://www.kickassistan.net/2015/08/BSDC.html

It was recently reviewed on The Lovecraft Ezine:
https://lovecraftzine.com/2016/05/25/soul-crushing-cosmic-horror-on-your-table-top-with-black-sun-deathcrawl/

genocyber

genocyber

Why are Lovecraft films usually shit?

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: genocyber on May 28, 2016, 07:36:33 AM

I think the tone just doesn't translate. It's scarier to read a description of something that's supposed to be impossible to comprehend because your imagination can take over. In a movie you just see it, and if the effects are shit you're laughing at it.

That's just what I think, anyway

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Deathbearer on Jun 06, 2016, 12:25:25 AM

I think the tone just doesn't translate. It's scarier to read a description of something that's supposed to be impossible to comprehend because your imagination can take over. In a movie you just see it, and if the effects are shit you're laughing at it.

That's honestly the case most of the time. His stories just don't translate to film well. How I envision monsters like Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep may not be the same way another does depending on how much you let your imagination fly with his stuff. There's that factor, & the fact that no one seems to keep the material to the source. I love movies like Re-Animator, From Beyond but they barely have much to do with the original stories, adding characters that don't exist n such. They're fun movies but not faithful to the stories.

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on May 28, 2016, 05:07:53 AM
A tremendous, eerie cosmic horror rpg was released a while ago called Black Sun Death Crawl, where you literally dig your own graves:
http://www.kickassistan.net/2015/08/BSDC.html

It was recently reviewed on The Lovecraft Ezine:
https://lovecraftzine.com/2016/05/25/soul-crushing-cosmic-horror-on-your-table-top-with-black-sun-deathcrawl/

I paid $0 to download the .pdf, great find!

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Quote from: Deathbearer on Jun 06, 2016, 12:25:25 AM

But to be fair, we never saw a big budget  rendition of Cthulhu or the other great old ones

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

We would have if some studio would have let Guillermo make At The Mountains Of Madness like it was planned but got scraped in the end. It's no secret he wants to make a Lovecraft movie but it keeps getting derailed for some reason & we end up getting Hellboy & Pacific Rim instead. Not saying those are bad movies, I just really wish a studio would give him a chance on actual Lovecraft material.

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Quote from: XenoZipper on Jun 06, 2016, 05:41:12 AM
We would have if some studio would have let Guillermo make At The Mountains Of Madness like it was planned but got scraped in the end. It's no secret he wants to make a Lovecraft movie but it keeps getting derailed for some reason & we end up getting Hellboy & Pacific Rim instead. Not saying those are bad movies, I just really wish a studio would give him a chance on actual Lovecraft material.
I think the same. Instead of always the same boring shit, they should finally give Del Toro a chance to make an worthy lovecraftian movie!

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Exactly! There's hints of Lovecraft littered throughout Hellboy, Pacific Rim & definitely Pan's Labyrinth too so I have confidence he'd make a decent adaption. Maybe one day Hollywood will take chances on movies again instead of sticking to the formula they use now. We got the tech now to make some crazy Lovecraft stuff, let's see it! I for one would die happy to see an awesome Shoggoth chasing the 2 guys in the Mountains of Madness story while piping "Tekeli-Li".

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Quote from: XenoZipper on Jun 06, 2016, 06:39:57 AM
Exactly! There's hints of Lovecraft littered throughout Hellboy, Pacific Rim & definitely Pan's Labyrinth too so I have confidence he'd make a decent adaption. Maybe one day Hollywood will take chances on movies again instead of sticking to the formula they use now. We got the tech now to make some crazy Lovecraft stuff, let's see it! I for one would die happy to see an awesome Shoggoth chasing the 2 guys in the Mountains of Madness story while piping "Tekeli-Li".
[emoji106] [emoji106] Yes. Maybe the multidimensional aspects of environments and creatures could be realized by using mixing of renderings in time lapse in combination with special 3D effects

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed