The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 191,290 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

In The Mouth of Madness isn't a Lovecraft film per se but the concepts used within it (The Old Ones, cosmic horror, old towns being a breeding ground for evil, etc...) were very Lovecraft-ian.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Doom my man. Yes. Spread the love for In the Mouth of Madness!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yuppp. ITMoM comes with my highest recommendation.

Sabby

Sabby

So it's not a Lovecraft film, it's just about a Lovecraft story and has lots of Lovecraft things in it? xD

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

It's a movie heavily inspired by Lovecraft and his works without being a direct adaptation of any single one of them. You won't find Cthulhu or any other named Lovecraft creations, but you will find the ideas, themes, and style of his work in spades.

Cvalda

Cvalda

It's a mix of Lovecraft and Stephen King. Not very Lovecraftian in tone, but it's a good film with some fun scares.

SM

SM

I got a more Stephen King vibe out of it overall - and I've read very little Stephen King.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

To be completely honest, I've never read any of King's books and I've only seen a few movies based on his work (The Shining, The Mist, The Shawshank Redemption, Misery, and maybe one or two others).

SM

SM

I read bits of Four To Midnight and The Green Mile.

They were decent enough, but never been bothered to read more.  If I want to read horror, you can't beat Clive Barker.

Aspie

Aspie

wat

King is the king of horror

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Effectively, the nature of it of a meta-horror sort of tampers with the Lovecraftian tone (and so do certain little humorous scenes) but overall it does remind you of those writings, mainly for the cluster of similar concepts exposed in there.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Since we're on ITMOM at the moment...

http://chipsdriver.ytmnd.com/

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 01, 2014, 03:29:16 AM
wat

He really isn't.

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 01, 2014, 01:08:34 AM
It's a mix of Lovecraft and Stephen King. Not very Lovecraftian in tone, but it's a good film with some fun scares.

Sounds like the kind of thing IP lawyers would love :/ I'll give it a look though. Any other recommendations guys?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'm partial to The Resurrected, even if the budget is rather apparent and the acting is largely meh.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 01, 2014, 03:29:16 AM
wat

Lovecraft was King's inspiration.

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jun 30, 2014, 07:44:33 PM
Doom my man. Yes. Spread the love for In the Mouth of Madness!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed