The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 190,768 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Alright, awesome. I think I'm going to go for one or two more of the short stories that OZ had mentioned, and then (time permitting) tackle At the Mountains of Madness.

First Blood

First Blood

Just finished The Whisperer in Darkness and The Colour of Space myself tonight. Both stories were my first taste of Lovercraft and I loved it. I loved the foreboding sense of dread each story seemed to have. Very creepy, and nicely written. Going to take Cvalda's advice and read The Call of Cthulhu next.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 06, 2012, 02:58:37 AM
Alright, awesome. I think I'm going to go for one or two more of the short stories that OZ had mentioned, and then (time permitting) tackle At the Mountains of Madness.

I wouldn't say you have to "tackle" Mountains. It's only about 100 pages (102, according to my copy). Definitely a masterpiece, though.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Huh, thought it was 200+. Which still isn't a lot of pages, but I'm not much of a reader myself, unfortunately.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Ah, I see. For me, a book doesn't start getting "long" until it hits the 500 page mark. :D

Quote from: First Blood on Sep 06, 2012, 03:00:38 AM
Just finished The Whisperer in Darkness and The Colour of Space myself tonight. Both stories were my first taste of Lovercraft and I loved it. I loved the foreboding sense of dread each story seemed to have. Very creepy, and nicely written. Going to take Cvalda's advice and read The Call of Cthulhu next.

Glad you're enjoying them. I've gotta go back, reread some of them. I think of the short stories, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is my favourite. Go for that after CoC.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: First Blood on Sep 06, 2012, 03:00:38 AM
We'll make a cultist out of you yet.

Ia! Ia!

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 06, 2012, 03:10:22 AM
We'll make a cultist out of you yet.

Ia! Ia!

Do I have to drink virgin blood out of a ram's skull?

Cvalda

Cvalda

No. But you have to get nekked. Dontaskwhyjustdoit

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

And pay no attention to the tentacles behind the curtain!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 06, 2012, 02:58:37 AM
Excellent.
Lovecraft's 'novels' aren't that long. They're shorter than, say, The Hobbit, and once you get into the writing style, they flow rather fast (or at least they do for me).
And yes as SpaceMarines said, there are just some small interconnections. Deities and such, Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath and the likes are frequently referred to, Arkham and some other cities are also recurring (quite in fact Lovecraft initially referred to his stories as 'The Arkham Cycle'), as well as some fictional books like the Necronomicon. If you read At the Mountains of Madness before The Shadow out of Time, you'll notice a nice little nod.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Sep 06, 2012, 03:07:17 AM
Ah, I see. For me, a book doesn't start getting "long" until it hits the 500 page mark. :D

I agree, or more accurately, I'd call anything under about 100 pages a short story, 100-300 pages "quite short" 300-700 "quite long" and over 700 "long", maybe over 1100 "very long"

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 06, 2012, 03:02:47 AM
Huh, thought it was 200+. Which still isn't a lot of pages, but I'm not much of a reader myself, unfortunately.

Break it up into segments if you have to. But make sure you read it because it's worth your while.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, wasn't planning on doing it all at once. I think tonight, if I get a chance, I'm going to read The Rats in the Walls:)

Cvalda

Cvalda

That's a good one--minus Lovecraft's risable racism making its presence known again.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Liked it too, though surely not one of his best. Average.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed