The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 191,265 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 06, 2012, 04:34:13 PM
I can't wait until I get to some of Lovecraft's big stories. I'm currently on Beyond the Wall of Sleep. My favorites so far were probably The Beast in the Cave, The Tomb, and Dagon.
You've already hit one of the "big" ones with Dagon, even though that's a very early piece. The next "big" one you've got coming up (big meaning famous) is The Outsider--but don't worry, there's lots of good stuff in between. Lovecraft gets better as a writer as he goes along. And you're starting to catch up with me! I'm currently on Celephaïs. :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 04, 2012, 03:58:00 PM
Call of Ktulu is awesome. I always picture the city of R'yleh whenever I listen to, with random flashes of Lovecraftian imagery up until the last drum roll when I see Great Cthulhu rising from the depths.
Fistbump dude. I do nearly the same haha.

Quote from: Ryu on Apr 04, 2012, 07:29:31 PM
The Ogdru Jahad of Hellboy, appears in some tale of HPLovecraft.?
What would rank him with his relatives in the Cthulhu Mythos?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090401210647/hellboy/images/8/81/Ogdru_Jahad.jpg
No they don't, they're from Mignola's imagination. :)
The film adaptation of HellBoy is filled with Lovecraftian influences however. That's one of the great things about it. The sequel went more on the general fairy tale side, but you still have some residual Lovecraft in there (the Elemental, and the theme of awakening something that could cause an apocalypse).

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 06, 2012, 04:34:13 PM
I can't wait until I get to some of Lovecraft's big stories. I'm currently on Beyond the Wall of Sleep. My favorites so far were probably The Beast in the Cave, The Tomb, and Dagon.
Good, good. No, not good -- awesome! Cannot wait until you get to my favourites and tell me what you think. I like Dagon a lot as well.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 06, 2012, 05:16:45 PM
Of the ones I mentioned, I think only Dagon is in a similar vein to the Cthulhu stories he wrote later in is life. It was kind of a precursor to them, if I have my facts straight.
Yeah, it was an experimental story (it was, at the time, criticized a lot, so much Lovecraft wrote an essay called 'in Defence of Dagon'). It is generally accepted among the mythos, since Dagon would later get a mention in some other tales -- The Shadow over Innsmouth particularly.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 06, 2012, 07:05:32 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 04, 2012, 03:58:00 PM
Call of Ktulu is awesome. I always picture the city of R'yleh whenever I listen to, with random flashes of Lovecraftian imagery up until the last drum roll when I see Great Cthulhu rising from the depths.
Fistbump dude. I do nearly the same haha.

You know Kirk Hammett is also a Lovecraft fan. It's a shame they haven't written more material in recent years.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Since it's Easter...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Bwahahaha, epic. Is that actually being sold on the net?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

He looks like a pink nightmare...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I watched the Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown documentary last night. It was quite interesting. His mother was beyond psychotic though I wonder if perhaps had he not been so mothered to death like that, would he have written the same type of material?

When it was over, I fired up Call of Ktulu by Metallica and closed my eyes. After all the flashings of Lovecraftian imagery in my head had passed, I saw The Great Old One rising up from the depths of R'lyeh during the last 30 seconds of the song. I experienced a chill like none before as I felt his large, scaly, slimy hand reach for my puny body as he proceeded to drag me down...down...

...down...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The documentary and the song are both excellent. The Guillermo del Toro bits were a little hard to watch, considering waht happened to His AtMoM movie.

One of these days I'm actually going to buy the Whisperper in Darkness DVD, if only for the kick-ass retro cover art. The movie was great, but I'm not exactly willing to spend $24.50 on the DVD just yet.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 12, 2012, 02:48:17 AM
I watched the Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown documentary last night. It was quite interesting. His mother was beyond psychotic though I wonder if perhaps had he not been so mothered to death like that, would he have written the same type of material?

When it was over, I fired up Call of Ktulu by Metallica and closed my eyes. After all the flashings of Lovecraftian imagery in my head had passed, I saw The Great Old One rising up from the depths of R'lyeh during the last 30 seconds of the song. I experienced a chill like none before as I felt his large, scaly, slimy hand reach for my puny body as he proceeded to drag me down...down...

...down...

was the bad cover version of Call of Ktulu not good enough for you? for a Lovecraft fan I totally recommend the extended interviews in the special features, they go into a lot more depth.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I downloaded the ripped version from YouTube that someone posted in this thread a while back, so no specials for me, lol. And that cover played over the credits sucked badly. I barely recognized it.

Kol

Kol

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 12, 2012, 02:48:17 AM

...down...

what kind of drugs you had took?  :D

by the way: here's a song by a german band which is based on metallicas song.
it's called "28" by "Böhse Onkelz" from their album "Kneipenterroristen" ('88):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOU1pxsuZT8#

Shasvre

Shasvre

Found this over at deviantArt.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

That is so. f**king. Cool. It's simple and it gets to the point straight. Love the eyes.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: Laufey on May 15, 2012, 08:58:58 PM

I'll put mine right next to Buddha.

http://www.teefury.com/
oh hell yes.

today only!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed