The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 190,773 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 30, 2012, 05:33:05 PM
Speaking of Lovecraft, any love around here for The Mouth of Madness, starring Sam Neill?

"Sorry about the balls! It was a lucky shot!"

Great movie.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 30, 2012, 05:33:05 PM
Speaking of Lovecraft, any love around here for The Mouth of Madness, starring Sam Neill?
In the Mouth of Madness is Carpenter's last great film.
Many are unaware how well it is loved not just by horror fans, but by movie fans.
It has a very high rating on IMDB and more importantly was included on the site Greatest Films, one of the best references to quality motion picture to be found on the web.
It is included in scariest scenes and greatest twist endings.

Cvalda

Cvalda

This just went up today--an indie short production of The Shadow Out of Time. The effects and creature designs are stellar. Very impressive stuff. If you enjoyed the HPLHS Call of Cthulhu film, this is right up your alley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c#ws

Continuing on with my rating of Lovecraft's Complete Fiction, as I work my way through it in chronological order...

Beyond the Wall of Sleep 6/10
Memory 6.5/10
Old Bugs 6/10
The Transition of Juan Romero 6.5/10
The White Ship 6/10
The Street 2/10

http://tegehel.deviantart.com/art/The-Giant-Cthulhu-17872358?q=gallery%3Ategehel%2F27850857&qo=6&catpath=&order=0&offset=6

http://tegehel.deviantart.com/art/Cthulhu-the-card-game-for-FFG-96749032?q=gallery%3Ategehel%2F27850857&qo=34&catpath=&order=0&offset=34

Also found this little parody of fundamentalist christian propaganda comics
http://rubbersuitstudios.com/ptcct.htm

Also I watched Fear of the Unknown, I'm glad I rented it rather that watching it on youtube, the 75 minutes of deleted interviews were better for lovecraft fans than the doc itself, which tried too hard to pander to newbies.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Getting this today :3

I'm finally going to be venturing into the realm of Lovecraft!

I have that too, the images online don't do out justice though, photos never do for metallic, almost holographic, things.

I've never actually read my copy though, I have the superior (due to annotations and better editing, although less comprehensivep penguin classics books.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I saw it in person yesterday, considered getting it, but ended up putting it don. It looked great, though, and I decided today that I'm going to get it :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 07:03:29 AMIf you enjoyed the HPLHS Call of Cthulhu film, this is right up your alley:

Whoa, thanks for the heads-up! The Shadow out of Time's one of my favourites too.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 31, 2012, 02:31:11 PM
Getting this today :3

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/101690000/101692408.jpg

I'm finally going to be venturing into the realm of Lovecraft!
IA IA IA
Welcome to the club. ;) ;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 07:03:29 AM
If you enjoyed the HPLHS Call of Cthulhu film, this is right up your alley:

That wasn't bad. The green screen was a bit obvious, bit that was the only major flaw to me. Makes me wonder what HPLHS will be doing now after Whisperer in Darkness.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: AvatarIII on Mar 31, 2012, 03:10:39 PM
I've never actually read my copy though, I have the superior (due to annotations and better editing, although less comprehensivep penguin classics books.
The editing of the new edition is pretty good. There are maybe three our four typos in the entire 1,000+ page book, and those will be fixed for the third edition. It's the ultimate Lovecraft tome. It may lack annotations, but each story features a brief intro by S.T. Joshi and the whole thing looks spectacular.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 31, 2012, 05:44:39 PM
Makes me wonder what HPLHS will be doing now after Whisperer in Darkness.
Hopefully they stick to short form, or at least don't try and expand the material again. The Whisperer in Darkness was a letdown, especially considering how much I loved their Call of Cthulhu adaptation, and because Whisperer is my favorite Lovecraft story.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 07:25:30 PM
The editing of the new edition is pretty good. There are maybe three our four typos in the entire 1,000+ page book, and those will be fixed for the third edition. It's the ultimate Lovecraft tome. It may lack annotations, but each story features a brief intro by S.T. Joshi and the whole thing looks spectacular.

Indeed it does. Just got my copy. Going to pry it open and check out the first story soon :)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 31, 2012, 07:49:02 PM
Indeed it does. Just got my copy. Going to pry it open and check out the first story soon :)
If you go in chronological order (as I am doing now--see my ratings upthread :laugh:) just remember that Lovecraft's writing gets better as it goes along. :P

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 07:55:29 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 31, 2012, 07:49:02 PM
If you go in chronological order (as I am doing now--see my ratings upthread :laugh:) just remember that Lovecraft's writing gets better as it goes along. :P

I'm going to go in the order that it is in the book, which I'm assuming is chronological.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 31, 2012, 07:58:18 PM
I'm going to go in the order that it is in the book, which I'm assuming is chronological.
Eggcellent. 8)

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 07:25:30 PM

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 31, 2012, 05:44:39 PM
Makes me wonder what HPLHS will be doing now after Whisperer in Darkness.
Hopefully they stick to short form, or at least don't try and expand the material again. The Whisperer in Darkness was a letdown, especially considering how much I loved their Call of Cthulhu adaptation, and because Whisperer is my favorite Lovecraft story.

The Penguin Classics have intros and full annotations by Joshi, and I'd rather read more managably sized paperbacks than a massive hardback anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed