Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,412 times)

Sabby

Sabby

I'm sure the message exists, I'm just not seeing how it, or any other message in the Bible, is conveyed well. In my experience, any one lesson a reader takes away from it, another reader can come to the exact opposite conclusion. I don't get the impression that it teaches good and evil as equal forces at all, just that you better damn well make sure God gets the glory for everything that ever happens ever.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Christianity is not a liberal religion by today's standards, but neither is it conservative.  There are aspects of it which could be considered quite conservative (sexuality, piety, self-control), and parts that could be considered liberal (scorn for greed and materialism, respect for the environment).  Note that I am talking about Christianity how it was practiced before the Reformation; Protestantism introduced alot of elements that weren't originally present.

Sabby

Sabby

I can agree with that, but it doesn't change the cognitive dissonance required to hold those beliefs and not be a scumf**k.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Jul 31, 2015, 02:18:35 AM
Christianity is not a liberal religion by today's standards, but neither is it conservative.  There are aspects of it which could be considered quite conservative (sexuality, piety, self-control), and parts that could be considered liberal (scorn for greed and materialism, respect for the environment).  Note that I am talking about Christianity how it was practiced before the Reformation; Protestantism introduced alot of elements that weren't originally present.
true.
Spoiler

[close]

Sabby

Sabby

Kradan

Kradan

My faith in God is mostly based on his capacity of solving my big and not-so problems. No, seriously, for instance, I just pray to get a good mark in university. And IT WORKS! Of course it can be coincidential. But it's worked so many times that i can't just ignore it.

I was reading the Bible properly last time maybe about 7-10 years ago, i think. Yeah, i really don't dig much in what i believe. So my pretty simple religion knowledge is: I believe that there's God, that he created universe, Earth, humanity, that his son sacrificied himself to save us all from being automatically sent to hell for smallest sin and that one day he will come back to judge us. I'm not too keen on concept of heaven though. I'd prefer my soul dissolve in space after my death rather than going to some place for another but eternal life. I find that really exausting. Is it really necessary to die just to live forever in endless pleasure and entertainment (that's how i imagine heaven) ?

He-he, why am i so sure that i won't be sent to hell instead?

Not sure that i put this ^^^ in the right topic but whatever...

SM

SM

QuoteNo, seriously, for instance, I just pray to get a good mark in university. And IT WORKS!

Do you not study?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Yeah, god helps those who help themselves etc. I think you're getting those marks from studying, if the big guy is involved he's just happy you're doing well.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2019, 09:28:43 PM
QuoteNo, seriously, for instance, I just pray to get a good mark in university. And IT WORKS!

Do you not study?

Hey, "D" is for "Diploma" right?

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 20, 2019, 10:24:00 PM
Yeah, god helps those who help themselves etc.

Truth. I'd say God presents opportunities for us, but we have to physically make something of them. Sometimes we have to make it through trials solely on our own, and it's best to be prepared for when that happens.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Yeah, hi

This is where Lucifer peaked

False postive, in fact this isn't one of those sarcastic get phaggy sequences.

This is:

The first one feels like concept vanilla to me.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 20, 2019, 11:31:10 PM

Do you not study?

Hey, "D" is for "Diploma" right?

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 20, 2019, 10:24:00 PM
Yeah, god helps those who help themselves etc.

Truth. I'd say God presents opportunities for us, but we have to physically make something of them. Sometimes we have to make it through trials solely on our own, and it's best to be prepared for when that happens.

Fwiw, i'm not a believer myself, but my understanding of the concept is that it's got more to do with trying to be a good person than asking for divine intervention on your schoolwork

Kradan

Kradan

Do you not study?

I study. And i study as hard as i can. Thanks  >:(

And what i noticed: as harder you study as more you care about your marks.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

So if you're to tie two types of knots, and the second one has to be different than the first, the first one would be called god, and the second one would be called psychopathy.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 21, 2019, 03:58:03 PM

Do you not study?

Ergo...?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 21, 2019, 05:08:58 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jun 21, 2019, 03:58:03 PM

Do you not study?

Ergo...?

I always found that the harder I studied, the quicker I passed out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed