Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,420 times)

Sabby

Sabby

I'm in a weird position on that. I tend to agree with Sil, BUT, I see the value and even the necessity of a man like Dawkins. Hitchens I'm not so familiar with (thus being ignorant of his less then flattering comments) but Dawkins and his ilk are pretty much necessary, though at times very unlikeable. I mean, we're dealing with deeply set taboo here. You need to be able to de-mystify people towards the topic before you can have an actually beneficial discourse on it. Dawkins, 'The Dick', is the kind of person who can do that, but he isn't that great at what comes afterwards (the more reasoned debate I mean).

As neckbeard as it sounds, mocking has it's place. You think people would have had the discourse they are having now about, say, Christianity, if people hadn't still considered it to be some special, essential part of society? I've said this before, but somethings you just need a Dick to go for the throat and show everyone that it can bleed. That's when people will talk about it fairly.

SiL

SiL

You can mock without being a dickhead. Carl Sagan would often make jibes at religious beliefs, but did so with humour and a good-naturedness. He wanted to entice people to learn and think critically, to encourage people to go out and change. Dawkins et al., on the other hand, spend most of their time coming across as "These are facts, if you don't believe this, you're a f**king retard and you're keeping the species down, f**k you."

SM

SM

Similarly I thought Degrasse Tyson neatly demolished some religious ideas in the new Cosmos series (young Earth creationism for example), while rarely - if ever - actually directly referring to said ideas or being a obnoxious Hitchens/ Dawkins-esque shithead about it.

BANE

BANE

I hold a special place in my heart for N.D Tyson.

Top of my nuisance list.

Sabby

Sabby

I actually agree, I prefer the gentler approach of Cosmo, but I don't think a show like Cosmos would work in a society that overwhelmingly views Religion as special. Hell, America still kind of does, thus the backlash the new Cosmos is receiving. People like Dawkins and Hitchens help to dispel that taboo, but I honestly wouldn't want them hosting Cosmos. Sagan and Tyson are much better suited for education. Hitchens and Dawkins are just the social battering rams.

BANE

BANE

They're c**ts though.

Who do nothing but strengthen the convictions of those they're arguing against through their incessant c**tiness.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Sabby on Jul 16, 2014, 03:11:01 AM
I actually agree, I prefer the gentler approach of Cosmo, but I don't think a show like Cosmos would work in a society that overwhelmingly views Religion as special.
The original series was the most-watched science series of all time. It worked plenty well.

Quote from: BANE on Jul 16, 2014, 03:17:58 AM
Who do nothing but strengthen the convictions of those they're arguing against through their incessant c**tiness.
Basically this. Acting like a dickhead to people who don't agree with you only makes them disagree more.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jul 15, 2014, 09:03:49 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 15, 2014, 02:36:05 AMNothing in there about feminism.

But obviously if you hate, dislike or mistrust women that inherently makes you an antifeminist because feminism is all about, you know, not doing any of that.

So I guess being anti-Israeli means being anti-Semitic as well, right? Or being anti-Muslim means being anti-Arab?

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: SiL on Jul 16, 2014, 03:20:50 AM
I actually agree, I prefer the gentler approach of Cosmo, but I don't think a show like Cosmos would work in a society that overwhelmingly views Religion as special.
The original series was the most-watched science series of all time. It worked plenty well.

Basically this. Acting like a dickhead to people who don't agree with you only makes them disagree more.

Hmmm, good points.

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jul 16, 2014, 03:20:50 AM

How to influence people who don't share your views - write a book called The God Delusion.

:laugh:

Preaching to the choir.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

very much preaching to the choir, that dawkins chap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxdxZ47JouU#

:laugh:

SM

SM

Love all.

BANE

BANE

That last one was the best haha. Had Dawkins chuckling. First time I've ever seen him chuckle.

Sabby

Sabby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZFQT_rzH6w#ws

A manic cocaine addict and a man eating a breadstick tear chunks off of eachother over who is the better Christian.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Better christian. That is quite humorous.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed