Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,455 times)

Sabby

Sabby

Ah, that I can answer.

I will admit, my knowledge of Theology isn't too strong. By Theology, I mean the history of the Catholic Church, and even whats taught in the Bible. I make no claims to the contrary, however.

What I do try and speak about is religious arguments, things that are presented by Theists. I don't need a comprehensive understanding of Catholicism and Biblical scripture to actually compete with a lot of these arguments. If something comes up that does require that, however, I have to admit that I am outclassed and remove myself from the discussion.

So to summarize, I argue with logic and reason, and only tackle arguments where logic and reason is actually of use to me.

Now, I have a question for you Mooner. What was the point of your question? Because it really reads as 'how do you know?'. Considering how many Theists of the last few years have adopted questioning of rationality and even reality as a way to defend their beliefs, I may be jumping at shadows here, that's just how it comes across.

maledoro

maledoro

I've studied comparative religions and mythology.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Logic and reason have no place in theology. If they did, theology would cease to exist.

Sabby

Sabby

Correct, but logic and reason can be applied to illogical and irrational beliefs to demonstrate how they don't bloody work.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on May 12, 2014, 02:14:55 PM
Correct, but logic and reason can be applied to illogical and irrational beliefs to demonstrate how they don't bloody work.
And then denied by the faithful. I accused someone of Special Pleading and he would either deny that he didn't apply SP to his argument or tell me that a certain rule applies to everything but to his God.

Sabby

Sabby

One I heard recently.

"If you devote so much time to being against Burger King, then obviously, you don't like Burger King, right? So Atheists are against God, therefore they hate God"

"By tha logic, aren't you a homophobe for being against homosexuality?"

"NO! That's different!"

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on May 12, 2014, 02:41:39 PM
One I heard recently.

"If you devote so much time to being against Burger King, then obviously, you don't like Burger King, right? So Atheists are against God, therefore they hate God"

"NO! That's different!"
;D

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

just a thing that came into my mind, how could you hate something you don't believe that exist?  ;D

and back to what was point of my question. malerdo used a simple beer example but is sounded really stupid to me, i know that it was just an example and should not be taken literally but i as a person who knows many believers(catholics to be exact) found the whole example riduculous. i don't want to say there is no believer thinking that way because extremes are in every group but it is a minority but most of the believers don't and i can see why malerdo thinks reliegion is stupid(correct me if i misinterpreted you) if he thinks that that is the way religious people think.

Sabby

Sabby

Okay, let me try it this way.

Rational people can have irrational beliefs. This doesn't make them irrational. Really, almost everyone has them, to some degree. However, someone who has a functioning brain, who applies their logic and reason every day, has to compartmentalize their beliefs. If you can't apply your logic and reason to something, then it gets stored away in it's own category in order for that person to continue believing it.

This obviously makes it very unlikely that the person will regularly reflect on this belief.

For instance, ghosts. Many perfectly rational and intelligent people believe in ghosts, but the way they think about ghosts is very different to how they think about the average day to day events. They pay lip service to the belief and treat it like it's a normal belief, but they rarely think about it in any meaningful way. They consider what they will eat, how they will do their job, what they will spend their money on, and wonder how their car works, but when it comes to ghosts, they simply believe without that kind of habitual pondering. It's like a 'no think zone', if that makes sense.

That's fine. However, for a topic as personal and defining as a God, some people can't keep it in that no think zone, they have to justify it and make a case for it, and you can't really do it, so any argument formed has to be illogical, just made to sound logical.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

i get what you are saying. but because i know many religious people i am able to look into it through their eyes and i don't think a person must be stupid/ilogical/have some mental disease to believe and i can accept their belief. and my last coment was pretty much just answering why i asked whether he knows something more about the religions

Sabby

Sabby

I actually stated quite clearly, twice, that rational people can hold irrational beliefs, and that that doesn't make them stupid/irrational. The thing to remember is that anything developed on top of those belief is also going to be irrational, no matter how you word it.

I am not even coming close to saying all Theists are dumb.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

sorry if it sounded like i think that you think that all theists are dumb, wasn't ment that way. the reason i said it the way i did was because i was considerind the whole conversation and there were statements that had the tone that all theist are dumb. but anyways when i first posted here i wasn't looking for an argument

Sabby

Sabby

There is no argument here man, just a small misunderstanding. To be fair though, that usually erupts into a full on argument when Religion is involved :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on May 12, 2014, 02:51:07 PM
One I heard recently.

"NO! That's different!"
;D

Hey mal, aren't you a BK fan?

Sabby

Sabby

Brett Keane?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed