Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 211,790 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It may be justifiable in that moment, but that doesn't make it right. If murdering people was a right we had, even under appropriate circumstances, you wouldn't need to justify your actions in a court of law.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Damn, I'm pretty sure I'm missing some context here. :P However all rights are defined under the law. Usually through some sort or man made(adopted) protection, such as a constitution. We like to believe some of them  are inalienable but that's just not true. It's the difference between ethics and morals for example. Aside from these rules we operate society under; human beings still retain their free will, which includes the free will to commit murder.

That's how I see it. I agree it's not right to take the life of someone but that opinion must be shared, which I think it is by most of us. Thankfully. Still the written law is a man made construct that is only enacted after someone uses their free will in violation of these rules... well at least until Minority Report becomes fact and renders my opinion utterly obsolete.

Still if I get this right, you're just debating the difference in definition of murdering and killing? Both are homicide in relation to human beings. Is driving while texting and killing a person any better than shooting a punk in the face?

stephen

stephen

If we look at what we normally consider crimes such as murder and theft is there a common denominator between them that we can point to and say "that's why it is wrong" thus making morality objective?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Yea I think we do but then again it is left entirely up to personal ideology. Someone who steals food because they are starving shouldn't be immediately comparable to someone stealing a tv. However some say stealing is stealing.

Murder is tricky. Must it be premeditated? Why is murdering a cop treated so differently than that of a murdered civilian in a non premeditated situation? It's ok to accidentally kill someone through ones own reckless action but not if you had a cell phone in hand.

When is it ok to kill is a tough question. Does someones worth play into the opinion?

maledoro

maledoro

What if we murder people because we are starving? Fuh, fuh, fuh, fuh, fuh...
;)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on May 08, 2014, 03:32:17 AMDon't fuel the persecution complex.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: maledoro on May 08, 2014, 12:55:38 PM
What if we murder people because we are starving? Fuh, fuh, fuh, fuh, fuh...
;)
Quote from: whiterabbit on May 08, 2014, 07:57:23 AM
I murder 'cause I'm always hungry.
I already covered that one and it is A-Ok-Delicious as long as you eat the entire person. Using the guys nose as a tooth brush holder is acceptable though.... haha j/k

stephen

stephen

What about the infringement of rights? My right to life or my right to my property? Could that not be the common denominator that we can look at to objectively say an action is right or wrong?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 08, 2014, 12:53:41 PM
Yea I think we do but then again it is left entirely up to personal ideology. Someone who steals food because they are starving shouldn't be immediately comparable to someone stealing a tv. However some say stealing is stealing.

Murder is tricky. Must it be premeditated? Why is murdering a cop treated so differently than that of a murdered civilian in a non premeditated situation? It's ok to accidentally kill someone through ones own reckless action but not if you had a cell phone in hand.

When is it ok to kill is a tough question. Does someones worth play into the opinion?

Stealing is stealing, but I would punish someone who steals to survive less harshly than someone who steals just because it's fun.

In the case of murder, a cop killing someone is treated differently than a civilian because the cop is trained in knowing when and when not to use a firearm. A civilian, typically speaking, doesn't possess that level of discretion and knowledge.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 08, 2014, 01:51:12 PM
In the case of murder, a cop killing someone is treated differently than a civilian because the cop is trained in knowing when and when not to use a firearm. A civilian, typically speaking, doesn't possess that level of discretion and knowledge.

i think he ment that when you kill a cop it is treated diffrently than when you kill a civilian

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Empathy is the key IMO.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MoonerSK on May 08, 2014, 01:57:25 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 08, 2014, 01:51:12 PM

i think he ment that when you kill a cop it is treated diffrently than when you kill a civilian

Ah. In that case, I don't think it should be. I don't see what makes a cop's life any more valuable than the guy next to him, but that's just me.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Has there been any atheist serial killers or terrorists?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: KirklandSignature on May 08, 2014, 03:17:44 PM
Has there been any atheist serial killers or terrorists?
Why even ask something that f**king dumb?

http://listverse.com/2010/06/05/10-people-who-give-atheism-a-bad-name/

Vickers

Vickers

I'm not saying there aren't people who kill with atheism as a motivation but I pretty much agree with this comment on that list:

"They were also all humans. And they all ate food. And they all read books at some point or another. What I'm getting at is, these people don't give atheism a bad name, they didn't do ANY of this stuff in the "name of atheism." You're making a false connection for no reason. This article is disgusting."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed