Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 211,794 times)

stephen

stephen

Ohhh,

I get it now you're not actually adding anything to the discussion.

Again, gotcha.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Do I know you?  :laugh:

f**k off. :laugh:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Did Cal just use an Anakin Skywalker quote?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 08, 2014, 05:10:32 AM
Did Cal just use an Anakin Skywalker quote?
Indeed.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Shit just got real Stephen.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

well we all know how it ended up with Anakin after saying that  ;D

Sabby

Sabby

Morality, in my humble opinion, is a subjective thing, but that doesn't mean I am good because I say I am good, or that is bad because I say it is bad. See, we can have different ideas of what makes right and wrong, but the things we form our morality on aren't so nebulous.

Suffering is a thing. Happiness is a thing. Culture is a thing. Living as a person in a system that requires masses of people to coexist in order for society to function. That is definitely a thing. All of these things are what we base our morality on.

So yeah, morality is a subjective thing, but so is humor. You can make a crappy joke just like you can make crappy morality.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Sabby on May 08, 2014, 06:23:14 AM
Morality, in my humble opinion, is a subjective thing, but that doesn't mean I am good because I say I am good, or that is bad because I say it is bad. See, we can have different ideas of what makes right and wrong, but the things we form our morality on aren't so nebulous.

Suffering is a thing. Happiness is a thing. Culture is a thing. Living as a person in a system that requires masses of people to coexist in order for society to function. That is definitely a thing. All of these things are what we base our morality on.

So yeah, morality is a subjective thing, but so is humor. You can make a crappy joke just like you can make crappy morality.

So murder may or may not be wrong depending on one's world views?

Sabby

Sabby

Define murder. It has a different meaning to simply killing, and we justify killing all the time, sometimes poorly, sometimes well. What's the difference between a thug on the street deciding to kill a random for no reason and a police officer deciding to kill an armed perpetrator?

They are both removing a life, just the way they rationalize it isn't equal.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Sabby on May 08, 2014, 06:36:30 AM
Define murder. It has a different meaning to simply killing, and we justify killing all the time, sometimes poorly, sometimes well. What's the difference between a thug on the street deciding to kill a random for no reason and a police officer deciding to kill an armed perpetrator?

That's why I said murder and not kill.

And your question about the difference between a thug and a police officer is actually my question to you.

What is the difference between someone who believes murder is ok, and someone who doesn't.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: stephen on May 08, 2014, 07:08:57 AM
Quote from: Sabby on May 08, 2014, 06:36:30 AM

What is the difference between someone who believes murder is ok, and someone who doesn't.

One believes it's okay, one doesn't?

Morality.

Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.

"I enjoy murdering people" is not a statement regarding the persons morality. They know it's bad, but don't care.

"I murder because it's good" is a statement regarding the persons morality.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I murder 'cause I'm always hungry.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I wonder if it's hot underneath that mask.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

There's never a right part to murder in my view. Taking away the life of another human being is not a right we have as human beings.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 08, 2014, 11:43:39 AM
There's never a right part to murder in my view. Taking away the life of another human being is not a right we have as human beings.
Actually it is. I mean there is nothing stopping someone from killing another aside from common decency and the laws ability to make it a punishable offense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed